Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Worse i'm nearly sure, i've a GTX 1050ti which is the 2017 entry level GPU from Nvidia. The 660 is the 2016 version if i remember right.

Mine is on a laptop and runs PES fine and the FIFA 18 Demo, never bought the full game. I have to say though that for me anyway sports games like FIFA/PES and Madden are console games. Big screen, chilled out on the couch with a few friends playing is the only way to go.

Unless the modding scene takes off and we see huge improvements on Madden for PC i won't be going for it.

EDIT: Just checked, the 660 is a high end GPU from a good few years back not entry level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Any of the following are about in line with a GTX 660: GTX 950, GTX 1050, GTX 760, RX 460, RX 560.

Ireland is usually a terrible place for buying computer parts and I'd keep an eye on ebay UK so long as delivery costs from there are low, but weirdly enough one of the best places I've seen for second hand graphics cards is adverts.ie so that's also worth a look. Here's a 460 going for €80 on Adverts just posted yesterday - https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/rx-460-2gb-graphics-card/15325707

Cards also hold their value well so if you went to sell that on in a year you'd probably get €50+ for it. I have bought three of them second hand (one for me, two for gifts) and they've all worked perfectly. They're a safe item to buy second hand as people are always upgrading to newer, stronger and fancier ones.

Long story short without boring you to death, the bitcoin mining that has been so popular for 18 months or so uses graphics cards and their 'VRAM' (basically RAM for visuals because there's so much going on graphically in games these days) so the costs skyrocketed, but in the last 2-3 months they've been coming back to normal as people are moving on from it or buying new parts. Because of this a good few cards are coming about nice and cheap second hand as well as newer models being set for release probably over the summer, I'd expect even more going for low prices second hand by July or August if you're OK to wait.

I would say it is probably best to avoid a 660 or 760, simply because they're older and require more power for the same output. This isn't so much about bills as just making sure the power supply in your computer can handle the increased demand. The 460, 950 and 1050 (and 1050 TI which is the best bet if you have any inkling towards some kind of racing game or the odd GTA title or whatever because it has 4GB VRAM instead of 2GB, and performs a bit stronger than the 460/560s which also come in 2GB or 4GB) all use incredibly little power, about the same as adding in an additional hard drive or two, so they're a good safe bet - the 560 and 950 also only use a small bit more (about 75W vs 90W) so those should also be grand. A 660 would use 140W, and a 760 uses 170W so it might be best to avoid those two models.

Remember though PC graphics are a lot stronger than console graphics, so even getting a mix of low/medium graphics on a PC will often match or even exceed those on a regular Xbox or PS4. In other words, anything that meets min requirements to get you up and running will work well unless you've got a particularly keen eye for graphics and such (I don't and genuinely can't tell the difference most of the time). The 1050s and 460s/560s also create extremely little heat which is good as if you've a normal desktop I'd imagine it's not set up for having a roasting how giant card inside of it (airflow, etc).

Make sure your processor can handle it though (post it here and I'll let you know). Any i5 or i7 2XXX series or higher should have no problem, same for an i3 4XXX or higher, or one of the Pentium chips I listed. The Pentium chips are an anomaly in that games should not work on them due to only having 2 cores, but long story short... they do. The 460 is probably the weakest of the cards listed above, and here is how it plays FIFA 18 (same engine, developer etc as Madden so a good barometer) with a G4560 which is probably the weakest processor, so this would be about the worst you would expect - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQma-r0QNU

Hope this helps.
    Mine is on a laptop and runs PES fine and the FIFA 18 Demo, never bought the full game. I have to say though that for me anyway sports games like FIFA/PES and Madden are console games. Big screen, chilled out on the couch with a few friends playing is the only way to go.
    That's also kind of true, I use my PC with a projector which has entirely replaced the TV so I'm kind of cheating :p . Though if Pat were inclined he'd just need a HDMI wire to pop it into the PC and a TV (or stick with the monitor), and could get a £20 Logitech controller off Amazon (just suggesting since I can't play anything beyond a strategy game on keyboard and mouse) and reckon sports games would be a fecking nightmare on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think it's the 1050Ti that's in my laptop (XPS15 9560) with an i7 but (I'd mentioned it in another thread recently) it plays even mild games like stuttery crap. Never really bothered me as the only ones I bought were There Golf Club 2, PES18, and FM18, which were all rubbish anyway but I would have liked to have given Madden a go. Haven't played it since one of the PS2 versions.

That’s odd, I’ve the same card and an i7 as well and no stuttering in any of the games I have. Fans are noisy allright but never had any issue. Played PES18, GTAV with mods, PUBG and loads more with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Kansas?

Draft?

Am I pissing in the wind here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kansas?

Draft?

316rmmc.jpg

Loughc wrote: »
    316rmmc.jpg

Are they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Kansas?

Draft?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kansas+City+chiefs+draft+2018

Not trying to be a dick, but there are no other Chiefs fans here as best I know (or as good as none) - if it were NE, GB or a few others you would have had a few responses by now. I can barely recall 3-4 other teams' drafts outside of GB's in much detail, and frankly when if it ever jumps into my mind that "I wonder how [other team] did in the draft again, I forgot?" I just do as RDS suggested and google a few reviews of it. Actually makes for excellent, quick toilet reading along with free agency! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Only stumbled across two NFL podcasts on the weekend.

NFL talk and Paddy Pigskin both Irish ran podcasts. Both good fun, very knowledgable and refreshing hearing NFL chat with some Irish craic thrown in for good measure.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not trying to be a dick, but there are no other Chiefs fans here as best I know (or as good as none) - if it were NE, GB or a few others you would have had a few responses by now. I can barely recall 3-4 other teams' drafts outside of GB's in much detail, and frankly when if it ever jumps into my mind that "I wonder how [other team] did in the draft again, I forgot?" I just do as RDS suggested and google a few reviews of it. Actually makes for excellent, quick toilet reading along with free agency! :)

I went to that NFL yolk in the Convention Centre and legitimately there were 31 other shirts and I was the only KCC shirt wearer. Kelce 87.

Made me proud actually.

Can't wait for my Mahomes 15 White Away to arrive soon :D

Googled it

Breeland Speaks @ DE looks the dogs bollocks

Buzzing for this season

I went to that NFL yolk in the Convention Centre and legitimately there were 31 other shirts and I was the only KCC shirt wearer. Kelce 87.

Made me proud actually.

How did you get into supporting the chiefs anyway? I usually assume someone went to the team's City on a j1 and got into it that way or something, but don't there's many Irish have spent time in Kansas City.

How did you get into supporting the chiefs anyway? I usually assume someone went to the team's City on a j1 and got into it that way or something, but don't there's many Irish have spent time in Kansas City.

I scoffed at American Football for years, called it 'hand egg'. My ex is a massive Panthers fan, she sat me down to watch Superbowl in 2016 and I loved it.

She's a big gamer and plays Madden all the time. Asked me to give her a game. Scrolling through teams, and being a big Western/Cowboys and Indians fan, I saw the badge and said 'right, they're my team'. At the time we had Maclin and that other ****er who's name escapes me and and I thought they were the dogs bollocks. Jamall Charles.

I'm a Leeds United fan but my obsession with Kansas has taken over. The prospect of Mahomes, Watkins, Kelce, Hunt and Hill is salivating.

I just hope our defence are up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Chiefs draft: Quick bit of analysis from what I've seen/watched since and what I've heard about them

We went all defense (except a defensive player were going to convert to OG), I think we needed more of a focus on secondary but there are some pieces there as well. Each player below:

Breeland Speaks, DE, Ole Miss
    Looking like were going to play him at OLB instead of DE, Interesting as we have Tanoh trying to get into that spot from last year and likely means we are getting rid of Dee Ford after this season. Nice to have some rotation, like the player but not our biggest area of need, could be a sign that we are going to go a lot of press man on the outside and rotate rushers at OLB

Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State
    We needed a nose tackle, Xavier Williams is ther enow and we need line depth. From what I hear high motor kid, should fit in well. Look to be building a very young DL rotation in the coming years if picks pay off. think we also picked up Dee Liner at DT as a free agent.

Dorian O'Daniel, LB, Clemson
    I like this one a lot! Fast, fun to watch, id imagine we'll have him play a hybrid LB/S kind of role given his speed/coverage. also a great special teamer in college os can bring that immediately as well. Means we have a nice collection of LBs to disguise rushes and coverages if needed down the line.

Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M
    Add to the defensive backfield, 4 year started in college, good tackler. We lost Ron Parker in off season and berry's injury showed us how much we need depth beyond Dirty Dan. Can be incredible but reports say he can be a bit boom or bust on plays, guessing on routes etc so will need to work on that. Should be in rotation and possibly pushing to start by end of year.

Tremon Smith, CB, Central
    for me too little too late, we should have gone CB earlier. That said, interesting prospect. Small school kid, very good production there. Project as well need to see how he translates to the NFL speed and size. Could be good and if so, should push to see some playing time at the end of the year in CB3 rotation. Has some special teams experience too

Kahlil McKenzie, DT, Tennessee
    Fun times troll pick. This is Raiders GM Reggie McKenzies son. We are planning to move him to guard (as was apparently the expected approach of all the teams looking at him). Lot of work needed but guard seems to be a better fit for him. Take a punt on your final pick and steal your divisional rivals kid? Why not?

Overall I'm happy with some of the players, think we had bigger needs like a CB earlier but trust the management to know better than me on this. Feels a lot like a building draft for next year and the year after. Also, could point to a defensive scheme change/coaching change as a lot of these players are tweeners and could move from OLB to DE in a 4-3 (Speaks).
    Yeah, thats all I got for now :) Not the most exciting but looks to be a long term plan

Made me proud actually.

Mahomes is going to be an interesting one, it's a gamble because Alex Smith is quietly one of the top QBs in the league (not best of the best, but not too far off) - it might take you a few years to really grasp just how important a QB is to a team. Though my Packers last year might have given you an idea. :(

Someone said it a few posts back and they weren't being an ass, in drafts it takes 3 years to know who worked out. If you follow soccer, a bit like how a guy might be scoring 50 goals a year in underage groups but fails to do anything in the senior team but to a bigger extent as only 32 teams means even when one team looks amazing and another looks horrible, the margins are tiny - the best team vs the worst team is usually, at most, about the same as Everton vs Real Madrid in terms of talent and cohesion (it's part of what makes the sport so great). Last years Browns were the first team I have seen (watching since 2002) where they just didn't look like they could beat anyone even if not taken seriously. Possibly the biggest "can't miss" player I've seen hyped (Vernon Gholston in 2008) barely ever even saw the field and was out of the league after 3-4 years as a backup... meanwhile a WR like Antonio Brown (the best technical WR I've ever seen, probably the best overall WR I've ever seen outside of Moss/Owens at their best) went all the way down in the fifth round, despite that being quite a highly valued position.

If it works though, having Kelce, Hill and Hunt as options for him could be absolutely lethal. The Chiefs lost their GM last year but he drafted Mahomes, and under him the Chiefs had a pretty excellent record of talent evaluation, plus having such good receiving outlets who can gain YAC after shorter/simpler catches (and bail outs, like quick passes to Kelce when under pressure)

Also if you like to do a few small bets, the NFL is the best sport going for it and it's a great way to get to know the teams and how the game works. I'm not talking anything serious, but a €5 accumulator every week type of thing. I've got a good few friends into the sport over the years and that's always been a really good way to get them to keep engaged with 'bad' games and such which is great for understanding how the game works. Or put a tenner on two teams outside of the Chiefs to win their divisions, gives you a second and third team to route for while you're still trying to figure out the roster and rules.

If she has the Madden game, it's an awesome way to pick up the rules and some intricacies. If not, well the new one is out in August. ;)

Mahomes is going to be an interesting one, it's a gamble because Alex Smith is quietly one of the top QBs in the league (not best of the best, but not too far off) - it might take you a few years to really grasp just how important a QB is to a team. Though my Packers last year might have given you an idea. :(

Someone said it a few posts back and they weren't being an ass, in drafts it takes 3 years to know who worked out. If you follow soccer, a bit like how a guy might be scoring 50 goals a year in underage groups but fails to do anything in the senior team but to a bigger extent as only 32 teams means even when one team looks amazing and another looks horrible, the margins are tiny - the best team vs the worst team is usually, at most, about the same as Everton vs Real Madrid in terms of talent and cohesion (it's part of what makes the sport so great). Last years Browns were the first team I have seen (watching since 2002) where they just didn't look like they could beat anyone even if not taken seriously. Possibly the biggest "can't miss" player I've seen hyped (Vernon Gholston in 2008) barely ever even saw the field and was out of the league after 3-4 years as a backup... meanwhile a WR like Antonio Brown (the best technical WR I've ever seen, probably the best overall WR I've ever seen outside of Moss/Owens at their best) went all the way down in the fifth round, despite that being quite a highly valued position.

If it works though, having Kelce, Hill and Hunt as options for him could be absolutely lethal. The Chiefs lost their GM last year but he drafted Mahomes, and under him the Chiefs had a pretty excellent record of talent evaluation, plus having such good receiving outlets who can gain YAC after shorter/simpler catches (and bail outs, like quick passes to Kelce when under pressure)

Also if you like to do a few small bets, the NFL is the best sport going for it and it's a great way to get to know the teams and how the game works. I'm not talking anything serious, but a €5 accumulator every week type of thing. I've got a good few friends into the sport over the years and that's always been a really good way to get them to keep engaged with 'bad' games and such which is great for understanding how the game works. Or put a tenner on two teams outside of the Chiefs to win their divisions, gives you a second and third team to route for while you're still trying to figure out the roster and rules.

If she has the Madden game, it's an awesome way to pick up the rules and some intricacies. If not, well the new one is out in August. ;)

Cheers for that :)

Well she's gone now, with my PS4 and Madden so I'll need to buy them again.

I did acca's every game week of last season, usually 8 teams, tenner acca. I clicked it once, got something like 280 back. I also had 300 on KCC in our playoff loss v Titans :(

From what I recall, both Hill and Hunt were 4th round picks in their respective drafts and they hit the ground running in their first seasons, so I have hope for Mahomes.

He looked brilliant against Denver in the final game, doing stuff Smith would never attempt to try.

With Watkins, Kelce, Hill and Hunt as Weapons, and Eric Berry, Spencer Ware and Justin Houston returning, I'm quietly confident ahead of the forthcoming season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Hackenberg cut by the Raiders

Damn, he didn’t even make it to training camp

The coaches must really have been negative about him. There are undrafted rookie QBs who make it to camp

Rams v Chiefs in Mexico in November is my Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd

Hope it's an absolute bloodbath

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Hackenberg cut by the Raiders

Damn, he didn’t even make it to training camp

The coaches must really have been negative about him. There are undrafted rookie QBs who make it to camp

Never took a single snap in the regular season, first QB in 30 years to be drafted in the top 2 rounds never to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Never took a single snap in the regular season, first QB in 30 years to be drafted in the top 2 rounds never to do so.

He must have been awful if they cut him after only 3 weeks.

$12.5m for Reggie Bush from the Rams after he fecked up his ankle after slipping on concrete when they were in St. Louis.

Rams are appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think that's deserved tbh.

That was the 2nd time in a few weeks, they had constant complaints about it and they did nothing until after the Bush injury when they finally went and covered it with a rubber surface.

Also, any opportunity for St.Louis to screw over the Rams right now will be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

DeMarcus Ware was given the choice of becoming a pass-rush consultant for the Dallas Cowboys or the Denver Broncos - he chose the Broncos.
    “I wish I could help out both teams, but with the league, you can’t do that. You’ve just got to choose your battles and this right here was my choice.”

Coach a defensive minded team with Von Miller and Bradley Chubb, or coach an offensive minded team with... uummm... who are the Cowboys pass rushers again? Not exactly the world's hardest choice, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Coach a defensive minded team with Von Miller and Bradley Chubb, or coach an offensive minded team with... uummm... who are the Cowboys pass rushers again? Not exactly the world's hardest choice, to be fair.

Demarcus Lawrence? Tied second in sacks last year.

I know the original point is silly but Lawrence is a pretty good player.

Ah yes, solid point and I completely overlooked him. Mind you his first three years he had a total of 9 sacks so it will be interesting to see if he is an OK player who had a great year, or a great player who just took some time to get it all together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Denver surely favourites to win the preseason now?

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    Denver surely favourites to win the preseason now?

Third season in a row now I think. They definitely won the 'best defence on the opening day of training camp when tackling isn't allowed' award last season anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement