Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

I don't want to come across as being extremely cynical but could JJ Watt not have made that gesture without letting a journalist know about it.

May have been a nice thing to do but it just ends up benefiting his public profile.

So many celebrities seem to have to let as many people know ho nice they are every time they do something nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Joe Dog wrote: »
    I don't want to come across as being extremely cynical but could JJ Watt not have made that gesture without letting a journalist know about it.

May have been a nice thing to do but it just ends up benefiting his public profile.

So many celebrities seem to have to let as many people know ho nice they are every time they do something nice.

The whole thing is worth a listen but if you don't fancy the whole thing, go to 7:40 (Stugotz isn't to be taken seriously by the way if anyone doesn't know what he's like)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

The whole thing is worth a listen but if you don't fancy the whole thing, go to 7:40 (Stugotz isn't to be taken seriously by the way if anyone doesn't know what he's like)

I cant believe the host actually tried to disagree with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's nothing new with Watt. There is a video showing where he waits until the camera is ready before he starts celebrating with his teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Saw on Reddit that someone else leaked it, don't know how true it is and there's ways to be cynical about that anyway.

He does have an irritating side to this personality but he also seems to actually want to step up and do something and be that role model a lot of people expect him to be. I think himself and the likes of Russell Wilson have something about them that's ultra American and comes off as too polished and fake to Irish people but it's a whole lot better than what some other players do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Funny enough I agree with you, has to let everyone know how great he is. Happy to be a big fish for the Texans, they are a pile of stiffs. Andre Johnson was the dude there for years, always wondered why he didn't head off elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Did anyone catch the Cowboys' All or Nothing and if so, what did you think?

A few things stood out to me:

- Jason Garrett seems like a really nice guy, and the players and coaching staff seem to like him, but he almost comes across as too nice

- Zeke is an odd one. I know he was going through a lot throughout that season and his mind was probably miles away, but what is with him sitting away from the rest of his teammates during meetings? :confused: Also, getting more than three words out of him seems to be a challenge.

- Easy to see why they moved on from Dez. A complete and utter man-child, a pain in the arse. You’d put up with it when he’s producing, but with the production slipping.....

- Jerry Jones :pac: Turns up to every single meeting, practice, is all over the dressing room before and after games etc. I don't know if many other owners are the same, but it must make coaching a lot more difficult when you have him interfering so much.

The "Ed Sheeran is lovely to Irish kid on Late Late Show" marketing.

You're not being cynical at all, what's cynical is these superstars exploiting the public hunger to believe that they are really nice people. No one cared before social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

There are few if any NFL players who play up to the cameras as much as Watt. From screaming to himself on the sidelines when he is miced up to staying on for hours after practice to catch balls and work with a tackling dummy with a HBO Hards Knocks camera present of course. And why is a defensive lineman catching balls after practice anyway

Oh sure players stay after practice but it was beautifully shot by HBO, fake as fake can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Could be worse he could be playing up the to the cameras and be an assh0le and donate $0 to anyone. Even you don't like him or like his clear attention seeking ways at least people are benefiting from it.

To his defense though any of the big stars do it. Look at Gronk. Its all about the "Brand". Sponsors love guys like Watt and Gronk and others who have big personalities and are Stars and give the persona everyone loves them.

• Advertisement

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Could be worse he could be playing up the to the cameras and be an assh0le and donate $0 to anyone. Even you don't like him or like his clear attention seeking ways at least people are benefiting from it.

To his defense though any of the big stars do it. Look at Gronk. Its all about the "Brand". Sponsors love guys like Watt and Gronk and others who have big personalities and are Stars and give the persona everyone loves them.

I guess my point is that the donation is as much benefit to himself as it is to anyone else and it's almost certainly a 100% unnecessary donation as usually communities involved in tragedies like this would start fundraising themselves to help out the families involved.So much of celebrity these days is based around falseness and cannot understand why so many people are obsessed with drawing attention to themselves when they do something nice, a good deed should be reward in itself you don't need to get a clap on the back for it.

It's kind of depressing that phoneyness and having a fake great guy act is what people seem to like, whatever happened to a bit of humility in life.

I always think the Walter Payton Man of the Year award is a real embarrassing thing for the NFL to hand out as it seems to want to turn being a supposed good person into a competition which of course it shouldn't be.

I guess my point is that the donation is as much benefit to himself as it is to anyone else and it's almost certainly a 100% unnecessary donation as usually communities involved in tragedies like this would start fundraising themselves to help out the families involved.So much of celebrity these days is based around falseness and cannot understand why so many people are obsessed with drawing attention to themselves when they do something nice, a good deed should be reward in itself you don't need to get a clap on the back for it.

It's kind of depressing that phoneyness and having a fake great guy act is what people seem to like, whatever happened to a bit of humility in life.

I always think the Walter Payton Man of the Year award is a real embarrassing thing for the NFL to hand out as it seems to want to turn being a supposed good person into a competition which of course it shouldn't be.

Personally I could care less if they want to bring attention to themselves. At least they are helping others with their millions. As I said in my other post it could be worse and they could just be attention seeking twats.

To the NFLs defense and trust me I never defend the NFL, This award as cringy as it is has gotten so much more out of players who would in the past have not donated **** or just helped out the in the community because they were bound by their contracts to do so. It has actually helped so many players be motivated to give back.

Personally I would rather the cringy attention seeking if it means people helping others in life and giving others purpose in life instead of p1ss1ng their money into the wind and beating their wives or girlfriends.

But circling back to JJ Watt for a minute his Houston fund drove in so much more money than it would have if he was not involved. Love him or hate him his drive behind it convinced others with money to get off their lazy asses and give back.

Us humans we tend to focus far too much on the negative.

it's almost certainly a 100% unnecessary donation as usually communities involved in tragedies like this would start fundraising themselves to help out the families involved

This part I can't agree with you to be honest. Are you telling me they wouldn't be grateful for the help from JJ? Regardless of his attention seeking? No matter what his intentions how can you that it is unnecessary? I can tell you if I lost someone in a tragedy and someone ponied up to help me financially with the cost of burying my loved one it would weight lifted off my shoulders not having to worry about where the money is coming from.

Take the Houston fund 34m raised in 2 weeks and donated to 4 non profits. Are you telling me they weren't grateful for the extra 8.5m to help them? Mind boggling if you also think that was unnecessary

This part I can't agree with you to be honest. Are you telling me they wouldn't be grateful for the help from JJ? Regardless of his attention seeking? No matter what his intentions how can you that it is unnecessary? I can tell you if I lost someone in a tragedy and someone ponied up to help me financially with the cost of burying my loved one it would weight lifted off my shoulders not having to worry about where the money is coming from.

Take the Houston fund 34m raised in 2 weeks and donated to 4 non profits. Are you telling me they weren't grateful for the extra 8.5m to help them? Mind boggling if you also think that was unnecessary

The money in this instance could easily have been donated anonymously.In almost every single tragic event across the world a fund would be set up for people to contribute to by the town itself.

Take the recent hockey team bus crash in Canada, I didn't see any NHL players riding in on their white horse and deciding to pay for anything themselves, but I am sure many donated privately to the fund that was set up for the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I like to think of Watt, Gronk and Cam as aiming their persona at kids rather than at adults. It explains a lot and makes them much more likeable.

Robert Kraft gave an interview before about why he changed from insisting on anonymous donations to putting his name on all of them. The charities wanted it. The publicity does wonders for them, whether it's helping to raise more money or being able to go to any meeting and know people will take them seriously.

The money in this instance could easily have been donated anonymously.In almost every single tragic event across the world a fund would be set up for people to contribute to by the town itself.

Take the recent hockey team bus crash in Canada, I didn't see any NHL players riding in on their white horse and deciding to pay for anything themselves, but I am sure many donated privately to the fund that was set up for the victims.

People will find anything to complain about. Don't let your dislike of Watt get in the way of the fact he has done many good deeds in time of need for people.

The 34m for Houston would never have gotten that large without him driving the publicity. How dare he drive the fund on by putting himself out there. Those 4 non profits are 8.5m better off for it.

As for the Texas funerals. You realize he told the school system right? And someone within the school system broke the news. Do you honestly think he is that much of a dick that he wants the attention on him during this tragic event? Is he beyond just doing a nice thing for these people saving them the worry of 8-10k for funeral costs.

Mind boggling how dare people put their name to donations

Morte wrote: »
    I like to think of Watt, Gronk and Cam as aiming their persona at kids rather than at adults. It explains a lot and makes them much more likeable.

Robert Kraft gave an interview before about why he changed from insisting on anonymous donations to putting his name on all of them. The charities wanted it. The publicity does wonders for them, whether it's helping to raise more money or being able to go to any meeting and know people will take them seriously.

Exactly Case in Point the money raised for Houston. He said he would match the first 100k and he did and 3 weeks later the figure sat between 34 and 37million.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm a big fan of Watt. Yeah he's probably done/is doing some PEDs.

But he seems like a pretty solid guy, he's been over here a bit and he loves playing football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

JJ Watt has stated that he wants people to see him as a superhero like Captain America. That is the brand that he is trying to portray. He has his own superhero logo ffs:

J.J.-Watt-logo-595x402.jpg

A lot his charity work is very much self serving and he loves the attention that the media gives him after he does it. But the other side of it, the outcome of his actions does a lot of good so its very hard to criticize him.

So i'll put it this way, its cool he raised so much money for the Houston Hurricane Harvey relief and I certainly don't think he's in anyway a bad dude or anything like that but to me, JJ Watt is a cheesy mofo who's personality would not mesh with mine. He would be one of the last people on earth i would want to grab a pint with. Anybody who wants people to see them as a superhero probably isn't much craic to hang out with.

Hazys wrote: »
    JJ Watt has stated that he wants people to see him as a superhero like Captain America. That is the brand that he is trying to portray. He has his own superhero logo ffs:

A lot his charity work is very much self serving and he loves the attention that the media gives him after he does it. But the other side of it, the outcome of his actions does a lot of good so its very hard to criticize him.

So i'll put it this way, its cool he raised so much money for the Houston Hurricane Harvey relief and I certainly don't think he's in anyway a bad dude or anything like that but to me, JJ Watt is a cheesy mofo who's personality would not mesh with mine. He would be one of the last people on earth i would want to grab a pint with. Anybody who wants people to see them as a superhero probably isn't much craic to hang out with.

Do you honestly believe he wants his friends to see him as a Super Hero? For most Superstars it is all about the brand. Its how they make extra money on the side and get what they need in life.

On a personal level he is nowhere close to this. That dude he hangs around with in Ireland is good friends with my cousin and he said JJ is a down to earth chap and good banter. I would like to think I would give people the benefit of the doubt before writing them off as people I wouldn't not gel with.

The problem here is we fall into the trap of judging them without personally knowing nothing about them only what we see in the media.

To each their own I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Chargers TE Henry tears his ACl.
    Begging of the training injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Chargers TE Henry tears his ACl.
    Begging of the training injuries

Tough break on the kid, hes done well in his first couple of years

Eagles LB Paul Worrilow also tears his ACL.

Heli the doomsayer :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Eagles LB Paul Worrilow also tears his ACL.

Heli the doomsayer :eek:

wowsers.. day after cutting Kendricks... hmmmmm maybe a bit of Karma there...

brinty wrote: »

Worrilow was injured the same day as Kendricks being cut. Both happened yesterday. Eagles fans on Twitter and FB and the like were all pissed off about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭nerd69

brinty wrote: »

I dunno kendricks has wanted to be cut for a while now so I'd say he's happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

NFL to fine players who kneel for the anthem - https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna876816

This weekend I will be contacting them to let them know that I am cancelling my gamepass membership over this, and rather than watching on TV I will be making a point of exclusively watching all games by illegal stream from this point on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Actually fining teams who's players don't stand for the anthem. Up to individual teams how or if they discipline their players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

adrian522 wrote: »
    Actually fining teams who's players don't stand for the anthem. Up to individual teams how or if they discipline their players.

Goodwill doing what he does best and being a coward. I think I read woody Johnson will pay them himself (or as a team) but we all know how a lot of owners will go over this. It hardly passed as a rule without their consent on some level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement