Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Knex. wrote: »
    He also had a child at age 14 with a 19 year old woman. This is the same woman who has brought the false allegations against him.

A 19 year old woman having a child with a 14 year old child should have been the first alarm bells for Foster.
    How the f*** is she not long in jail already? That's point blank grooming and rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

The question being is he moving the Jags to London or just buying the Stadium. They dont make that clear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    The question being is he moving the Jags to London or just buying the Stadium. They dont make that clear at all.

Probably just going to move Fulham into wembley

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

phatkev wrote: »
    Probably just going to move Fulham into wembley

He has explicitly said that Fulham will be staying in Craven Cottage.

Plus it would be madness for the to move to Wembley at any rate.

He also seems to want to partially renovate Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He has explicitly said that Fulham will be staying in Craven Cottage.

Plus it would be madness for the to move to Wembley at any rate.

He also seems to want to partially renovate Wembley.

Yeah in fairness it hasn't been redone in ten years. Practically falling down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

Knex. wrote: »
    It's mental that she possibly did all this to derail his career, and that he's innocent. How close he came to having his career in shreds.

This is a man who's mother was shot in the head by his father whilst he was a baby in her arms. He's been through a fair amount in life already.

He also had a child at age 14 with a 19 year old woman. This is the same woman who has brought the false allegations against him.

A 19 year old woman having a child with a 14 year old child should have been the first alarm bells for Foster.

I will hold my hands up and say I judged him too quickly on this. The multiple accusations swayed it even if it was not evidence (and was just weed for f sake but it was something and I did not pay attention).

I don't know. I am quite happy to give crap to NFL for ignoring domestic violence when it happens so guess I should admit when I am wrong (NFL is still muck over this stuff but that has nothing to do with Foster). It was annoyingly difficult to confirm the girlfriends age though as few places mention it (or maybe I check the wrong places first).

I've always been of the opinion that if the FA were to sell Wembley, the government should step in or something along those lines to take it instead. It just seems to serve such a long term cultural significance for them that it would seem really weird for it to be owned by a private entity or individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That seems to be part of the "deal" being discussed or should I say, being leaked.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I've always been of the opinion that if the FA were to sell Wembley, the government should step in or something along those lines to take it instead. It just seems to serve such a long term cultural significance for them that it would seem really weird for it to be owned by a private entity or individual.

Well, it won't be this govt. They haven't a proverbial pot... apparently. Brexit will wipe out what little they do have.

---

Can anyone really see a team working in London long-term? Would the novelty not wear off?

It's okay for the intl series because of the multitude of teams that get to play in it so there will always be novelty for a lot of Europeans, but 8 games (if they limit just to the "London Jaguars/Knights/Whatevers", which they won't) over 4 and a half months (excluding POs) in the middle of the first half of the soccer season? I just can't see it working.

Also, Wembley, through England intls and FA Cup SFs and Finals provides the FA with the bulk of the cash and realistically, that's where Wembley's cash comes from, so if the fA keep that money which seems to be also part of the deal, what will Khan do to make back the 900m + reno cost?

All of it looks like a move for the Jags from that POV to make cash, but I can't see it working. But I'm not a multi-billionaire and "dead cap space" melts my head so what do I know!

Very true as well, though the FA and not the direct government official own it, 'losing' Wembley would be quite emblematic of Brexit and the irony of the £350mn a week jibberish.

It would be ridiculously hard to implement in itself, but I almost feel like a European division might almost make the only way for it to make sense (with maybe a corresponding South American or Asian division in the other conference to offset, but I doubt the have the demand to make that happen... or rejigging the entire division/conference structure quite significantly), as it would at least give a tiny bit of balance regarding the timezone/jetlag issues. East to West coast is 3 hours, so East coast to UK (or vice-versa) might not be the end of the world at 5 hours... but UK to West coast would be absurdly unfair for the away team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Pats and 49ers trade. OL Trent Brown and 5th Rd pick for Pats 3rd Rd pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

49ers fan reckon he's fantastic in pass protection but poor in run blocking. Also has motivation and weight issues. Let's see what Scar can do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Rumours of Jason Witten retiring to take the analyst job on MNF. This upsets me greatly. Surely a first ballot hall of famer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

JaMarcus wrote: »
    49ers fan reckon he's fantastic in pass protection but poor in run blocking. Also has motivation and weight issues. Let's see what Scar can do with him.

Has the potential to be an elite OT when he is in the mood. Is coming off an injury and apparently just turned up to OTAs weighing around 400lbs. Would never fit Shanahan's scheme so was unlikely to be paid on a long term deal next year, even if he got himself focused.

Think he is worth it for the Patriots as he is on a very low salary being a 7th round pick. Even if just for the season he will at minimum add depth, if not start.

Double C wrote: »
    Rumours of Jason Witten retiring to take the analyst job on MNF. This upsets me greatly. Surely a first ballot hall of famer.

Fourth most catches in the history of the league despite being arguably the most well rounded TE of the last 15-20 years. I wouldn't say first ballot for definite, though he could be and would absolutely surely get in on the 2nd or 3rd attempt if not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

JaMarcus wrote: »

Also hes often injured, he'll probably look better if the rest of the line is competent I guess.

My wife had an uncle who left for the States decades ago. Little to no contact, families met once in the 80s when my wife went over as a young teenager. But in recent years they re-established contact on social media. I hadn't paid too much attention to it all until my wife told me this morning that her first cousin's son is named Andrew Trumbetti and he had just signed for...of all teams...the Bears!

My wife had an uncle who left for the States decades ago. Little to no contact, families met once in the 80s when my wife went over as a young teenager. But in recent years they re-established contact on social media. I hadn't paid too much attention to it all until my wife told me this morning that her first cousin's son is named Andrew Trumbetti and he had just signed for...of all teams...the Bears!

Just watch him become a star and kill your beloved Packers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

On the plus side, you often hear stories from NFL players about how when they got into the league suddenly they had family they'd never heard of getting in contact looking for a loan or to get in their pocket. It's a league tradition.

YOU COULD BE PART OF THAT TRADITION!

Just watch him become a star and kill your beloved Packers :pac:

It's my wife's cousin ie. an in law.

So obviously I hope the Packers actually run over him...
    On the plus side, you often hear stories from NFL players about how when they got into the league suddenly they had family they'd never heard of getting in contact looking for a loan or to get in their pocket. It's a league tradition.

YOU COULD BE PART OF THAT TRADITION!

MAKE IT RAIN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/990756821098024960

Peyton stats since 2012: 58 games, 17117 yards, 140 tds, 53 ints, 7.9 y/a, 101.8 passer rating

Luck stats since 2012: 70 games, 19078 yards, 132 tds, 68 ints, 7.2 y/a, 87.3 passer rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No. of competent OL playing in front of Manning: 5
    No. of competent OL playing in front of Luck: 0

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Oh 100%. Manning would genuinely have died behind Luck's OL. Although Colts would have turned the #1 pick into an absolute ranson from which they could have improved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Question to Brady - "do you feel appreciated by the Pats?"

Reply by Brady - "I plead the fifth"

I'm not the biggest Pats fan myself, but this is getting beyond tiresome. Brady turns 41 before next season so the Pats taking a QB high would not have told us much, in either direction, but the fact they took none until the 7th round speaks volumes. I reckon Brady's just trolling the media at this point and frankly I wouldn't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,768 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And there was a laugh and he continued with the following...

"Man, that is a tough question," said Brady after pausing to think about his answer. "I think everybody in general wants to be more appreciated more at work, in their professional life. But there's a lot of people that appreciate me way more than I ever thought was possible. You have different influences in your life and the people I work with are trying to get the best out of me. So they're trying to treat me in a way that they feel is going to get the best out of me."

Question to Brady - "do you feel appreciated by the Pats?"

Hahahahahaahah

Called this in the Pats thread that you would post this. No surprises you failed to go into the full conversation he had and 100% get carried away by your obsession like ESPN. Truly is comical at this point.

Just to point out that this is what the Packer's WR/TE/NBA corps might look like after cuts:
    - Davante Adams (6'1)
    - Randall Cobb (5'10)
    - Jimmy Graham (6'7, TE)
    - Geronimo Allison (6'3)
    - J'Mon Moore (6'3)
    - Marquez Valdes-Scantling (6'5)
    - Equanimeous St. Brown (6'5)
    - Michael Clark (6'6)
    - Lance Kendricks (6'3, TE)

Now whether the young WRs can actually play or not is another matter but with all those size/speed combos, stashing any on the practice squad could prove a dangerous game. I'm half expecting one of Brown/MVS/Clark to even be moved to TE if possible, but with Rodgers back throwing the ball and a run game that should probably be taken seriously for the first time in a while, it should be a whole lot of fun either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

This whole thing is just so the pats can distance themselves when it comes out Brady is a cyborg

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    And there was a laugh and he continued with the following...

"Man, that is a tough question," said Brady after pausing to think about his answer. "I think everybody in general wants to be more appreciated more at work, in their professional life. But there's a lot of people that appreciate me way more than I ever thought was possible. You have different influences in your life and the people I work with are trying to get the best out of me. So they're trying to treat me in a way that they feel is going to get the best out of me."

Just to follow up this great post

Yeah he said nothing wrong it was cringeworthy but he didn't say anything bad. But ye know ESPN and JRG wont see it that way. There is video of the whole conference and his interview I watched it yesterday. Video too big to post but here is a few shorts of the main pieces:

https://twitter.com/RaulNBCBoston/status/991138126553927681

https://twitter.com/RaulNBCBoston/status/991140444963835905

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement