Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Unsure if anyone else here has been following this, but a NFL radio host who does a bit of work with CBS radio posted up a screenshot on Sunday. Pretty harmless stuff, but Jason La Canfora tweeted it out a very, very short time later (75 seconds apparently) with the same battery, time etc visible and claimed he had received it from an NFL personnel exec. :pac: The original source of the picture says he has metadata on hand to prove that La Canfora swiped it.

Full story below:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/benjamin-allbright-says-metadata-shows-cbs-jason-la-canfora-lied-stole-photo.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Brilliant Paully. I always roll my eyes when I read these clowns saying they just got texted by an NFL executive or GM. I never believe them. Usually it's their own opinion they want to add some weight to do they attribute it to some made up GM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Warmack headed to IR, no great loss imo, fairly sure thats the end of him with the Titans now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Paully D wrote: »
    Unsure if anyone else here has been following this, but a NFL radio host who does a bit of work with CBS radio posted up a screenshot on Sunday. Pretty harmless stuff, but Jason La Canfora tweeted it out a very, very short time later (75 seconds apparently) with the same battery, time etc visible and claimed he had received it from an NFL personnel exec. :pac: The original source of the picture says he has metadata on hand to prove that La Canfora swiped it.

Full story below:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/benjamin-allbright-says-metadata-shows-cbs-jason-la-canfora-lied-stole-photo.html

Check out the only comment on that article:
    arandall1982 20 hours ago
    Funny thing--I busted Allbright on twitter for lying about his college degrees and got blocked.

The plot thickens.......

Funny thing is they are all as bad as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Warmack headed to IR, no great loss imo, fairly sure thats the end of him with the Titans now

Crazy. I thought when you drafted him he'd be an All-Pro for the best part of a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Paully D wrote: »
    Crazy. I thought when you drafted him he'd be an All-Pro for the best part of a decade.

As did a lot.. he played well in pre season and in the 2 games so far (for the most part) but he's be a FA now someone will pay him, I dont think Jrob will be that person though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I doubt Gordon's latest legal issue will have any impact on him playing. It's a paternity test court case is all.

Oh ok, shouldn't have jumped to conclusions but... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I doubt Gordon's latest legal issue will have any impact on him playing. It's a paternity test court case is all.

It was just a paternity test. Now it's an arrest warrant for repeated violations of court subpoenas. That can lead to a finding of contempt, which can lead to jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

So this Gordon stuff and Corey Coleman breaks his hand. I actually feel sorry for Browns fans - no one deserves this.

It was just a paternity test. Now it's an arrest warrant for repeated violations of court subpoenas. That can lead to a finding of contempt, which can lead to jail.

He took the test, the warrant has now been withdrawn.

We can go back to waiting for his next weed bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

He had his chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He took the test, the warrant has now been withdrawn.

We can go back to waiting for his next weed bust.

It could have been a big deal but now that he’s done it he can move on (aside from the child support payments for the next 18 years…)

Foxtrol wrote:
    It could have been a big deal but now that he’s done it he can move on (aside from the child support payments for the next 18 years…)

It wasn't an arrest warrant, it was a bench warrant. An NFL spokesperson already confirmed yesterday it wouldn't impact how status in the league and that was before he took the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Browns have bigger problems than where Gordon's knob has been in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It wasn't an arrest warrant, it was a bench warrant. An NFL spokesperson already confirmed yesterday it wouldn't impact how status in the league and that was before he took the test.

There’s no way the cops could have someone turn out on TV in front of millions when they had a bench warrant out on them. He would have been arrested or did what the court ordered, he's done the latter so it's fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The link above mentioned an arrest warrant, didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Out of boredom / discontent with the state of the Seahawks O-Line (for yet another year...) I wanted to look at just how much they Seahawks sacrifice on O-Line, relative to other teams. So I did a bit of data scraping, and came up with a couple of interesting findings that may be of interest to all.

Below is a list of the 2016 cap space* allocated to the starting offensive line-men** in the 12 teams who made the playoffs last year:

ARI CAR NE DEN KC HOU PIT CIN GB SEA WAS MIN
    LT 5 6 10.3 5.2 6.8 9.5 0.5 8 4 1 10.6 0.6
    LG 5.7 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 1.5 2.4 4.75 1.5 0.6 5 6.7
    C 0.8 11 0.5 0.5 1 0.5 10.5 0.7 0.7 0.9 2.8 1.4
    RG 4 0.7 0.4 0.7 0.6 6.1 5.2 8 6.2 1.5 4.8 4
    RT 2 2.5 4.7 4 2.4 5.5 4 2.1 5.4 0.6 0.8 3.5
    Total 17.5 20.8 16.5 11 11.4 23.1 22.6 23.55 17.8 4.6 24 16.2

figure in millions

The totals per team, and average per positions, look like this:

397538.png

So as predicted, the Seahawks deploy a miniscule spend on their O-Line compared to every other team in the playoffs from last year, presumably relying on Tom Cable to make up the difference. The average starting O-Line costs 17.4m, vs. their spend of 4.6m. You have to wonder if this saving of ~12m is worth it; I suppose this season will tell a lot, with injuries to Wilson and no more Beastmode to rely on.

Some other points:

- The most expensive O-Line (Redskins - 24m) costs more than 5 times than the cheapest (Seahawks - 4.6m).
    - All 12 teams will spend less on their O-Line this year than the Giants will spend on Eli Manning (24.4m).

* according to this site
    ** according to this site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Brilliant, Neil.

Speaking of O-line, two interesting pieces I recently came across.

Interview with Howard Mudd (offensive line coach) on footballoutsiders.com where he talks about Peyton, what makes a good O-line and issues with current coaching and the effect of CBA.

Ranking 1-32 of all NFL O-lines on PFF. What struck me is how many fan bases think their line is below average. Vikings came in average, which surprised me, but most of those listed below Minnesota really suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Neil3030 wrote: »
    ARI CAR NE DEN KC HOU PIT CIN GB SEA WAS MIN
    LT 5 6 10.3 5.2 6.8 9.5 0.5 8 4 1 10.6 0.6
    LG 5.7 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 1.5 2.4 4.75 1.5 0.6 5 6.7
    C 0.8 11 0.5 0.5 1 0.5 10.5 0.7 0.7 0.9 2.8 1.4
    RG 4 0.7 0.4 0.7 0.6 6.1 5.2 8 6.2 1.5 4.8 4
    RT 2 2.5 4.7 4 2.4 5.5 4 2.1 5.4 0.6 0.8 3.5
    Total 17.5 20.8 16.5 11 11.4 23.1 22.6 23.55 17.8 4.6 24 16.2

It's bizarre when ya see some of the differences people playing alongside each other are on..
    New England, guy on 10.3m next to a guy on .6m
    Carolina a guy on 11m between 2 guys on .5m and .6m

I realize a lot of it is to do with Rookie scale, but it seems very bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Amazing that the Steelers pay so much, can still pay Big Ben and all his toys.

And they can defend competently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Also interesting in the context of Green Bay's offensive struggles. There seems to be an assumption that they'll "click". They might not.

Off to bed. Hopefully we see some patriots back up QB acrophobia tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Off to bed. Hopefully we see some patriots back up QB acrophobia tonight!

I kind of want to see them win, and win easily, just to listen to the media go mad for a few weeks on whether Brady is a system QB or not. Watching the world burn, and all that.

Knex. wrote: »
    I kind of want to see them win, and win easily, just to listen to the media go mad for a few weeks on whether Brady is a system QB or not. Watching the world burn, and all that.

Well, they did that handily anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well, they did that handily anyway! :pac:

Clearly Brady is a system QB, nothing else!! :p

On a serious note, what Bellichek and his team have done to start the year is one of the best coaching performances in a very long time. To not have Brady, Gronk, Lewis, losing Garroppolo, missing your OT's for a game and then going 3-0 is beyond belief. If they were fully fit and went 3-0 @Fins, @ Cards and vs Texans then you would say that is a great performance, what they have done really is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

HigginsJ wrote: »

Said in jest, but he clearly benefits from being a team that is well coached, develops talent, gameplans brilliantly and executes fantastically well. The Matt Cassell season still defies belief when you look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So since 2001, he has a 76% win record. Puts him 3rd in that period for Patriots starting QB's....

1= Jimmy G - 100%
    1= Brissett - 100%
    3. Brady - 76%
    4. Cassell - 66%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Shedite27 wrote: »
    So since 2001, he has a 76% win record. Puts him 3rd in that period for Patriots starting QB's....

1= Jimmy G - 100%
    1= Brissett - 100%
    3. Brady - 76%
    4. Cassell - 66%

imagine your team won 3/4 of every game they played for 15 years straight....crazy really. They say it's a coptcat league....why has no other team replicated it?

HigginsJ wrote: »

On a serious note, what Bellichek and his team have done to start the year is one of the best coaching performances in a very long time. To not have Brady, Gronk, Lewis, losing Garroppolo, missing your OT's for a game and then going 3-0 is beyond belief. If they were fully fit and went 3-0 @Fins, @ Cards and vs Texans then you would say that is a great performance, what they have done really is staggering.

They look superb. Extremely polished and well coached, its like they've gone up another level. I'd be extremely excited if I was a Patriots fan right now. I've no great love for them normally, but I'm enjoying watching them this year.

Hopefully Eli can become 3li in Super Bowl LI and beat the undefeated Pats once more. I'd die from happiness :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

poldebruin wrote: »
    Shedite27 wrote: »

1= Jimmy G - 100%
    1= Brissett - 100%
    3. Brady - 76%
    4. Cassell - 66%

imagine your team won 3/4 of every game they played for 15 years straight....crazy really. They say it's a coptcat league....why has no other team replicated it?

Crazy alright, even crazier is that the majority of BBs assistants then fail when they get a head coaching job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement