Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You're bombarded by all kinds of stats watching/following NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Paully D wrote: »
    Can we talk about Bortles, guys?
    Last drive yesterday, needed a score with about a minute on the clock. Commentator said "Bortles can't throw to the middle or take a sack here".
    1st play - 5 yard pass over the middle. Clock running
    2nd play - Scrambles, gets sacked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Billy86 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that can't stand this kind of reporting from NFL writers, by the way?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-3-grades-browns-have-perfected-the-late-game-meltdown-cards-get-an-f/

I'm not at all claiming it's 'unfair' reporting on Nelson or GB or anything (it happens with all players and teams in the league), but it's just lazy from a reporting standpoint. WOW! His first multi-TD game since December 2014!?!? Yeah... it's also his third game since December 2014. It's just stupidity for effect... would make worlds more sense to comment on his slow start the first two weeks of the season, but no no no - gotta make it since December 2014.

Another major gripe being using random numbers as a marker "the eighth time [QB X] has passed for more than 297 yards and..." -- 297 yards isn't a marker!! Use 300, use 280, etc... not as sure why, but plucking these random numbers just irritates the life out of me!! :p

you're not the only one, I hate that kind of timeline reporting. Same in soccer, X hasnt beaten Y in over 75 years (but we'll conveniently ignore that they have only played twice in the intervening period).

Or like the Nelson one, X scores his first goal in 4 months (ignoring that there was no actual games on over the summer)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF there is no media or analysts talking about Bortles because nobody cares about the Jaguars. Smallest market, no history, losing culture so nobody is going to talk about them.

Thats it, same for the Titans tbh.

These teams wont be talked about until they are winning consistently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Am I the only one that can't stand this kind of reporting from NFL writers, by the way?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-3-grades-browns-have-perfected-the-late-game-meltdown-cards-get-an-f/

I'm not at all claiming it's 'unfair' reporting on Nelson or GB or anything (it happens with all players and teams in the league), but it's just lazy from a reporting standpoint. WOW! His first multi-TD game since December 2014!?!? Yeah... it's also his third game since December 2014. It's just stupidity for effect... would make worlds more sense to comment on his slow start the first two weeks of the season, but no no no - gotta make it since December 2014.

Another major gripe being using random numbers as a marker "the eighth time [QB X] has passed for more than 297 yards and..." -- 297 yards isn't a marker!! Use 300, use 280, etc... not as sure why, but plucking these random numbers just irritates the life out of me!! :p

Some of the stats they spout out are just ridiculous, i was laughing at this one today: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/25/terrelle-pryor-does-something-that-hadnt-been-done-in-57-years/

"Pryor became the first player to have at least 120 receiving yards, at least 30 passing yards, and at least 20 rushing yards in a single game since Hall of Famer Frank Gifford did it on December 6, 1959." Yeah but hes probably the only player since 2002 to have at least 100 receiving yards, at least 25 passing yards, and at least 10 rushing yards in a single game.

Fair enough what Terrell Pyror did was amazing but the most selective stat picking is hilarious. You can always find statistical anomalies when you pick the very filtered parameters.

There was another yesterday, the Jets were 0-66 when down at the half by 14+ points, away from home, against AFC teams lol I'm sure there were a couple of games that the Jets had against NFC teams or at home that would have blown up their cool stat. Also no sh1t, that the Jets are most likely to lose games when down 14+ points at halftime, its the same for most teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I always think the longer it takes to say what the stat is, the less impressive it becomes.

The most receiving yards in history. Pretty impressive.

The most receiving yards in jets history. Still pretty good.

The most receiving yards by a player with under four years experience playing with the jets on the road in the regular season when there was a harvest moon in the previous three weeks during the post expansion era. Not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I have never been a believer in Bortles. I can live with some of the interceptions, but it is stuff like taking sacks at the wrong time that really annoys me.

Stuff like that makes Brady and A-Rod great. They might mess up, but they usually make the right decisions. Bortles strikes me as in the lowest quartile on his decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

D9Male wrote: »
    I have never been a believer in Bortles. I can live with some of the interceptions, but it is stuff like taking sacks at the wrong time that really annoys me.

Stuff like that makes Brady and A-Rod great. They might mess up, but they usually make the right decisions. Bortles strikes me as in the lowest quartile on his decision making.

I remember seeing a documentary on Brady where a college scout mentioned this. He looked over all Brady's high school games and noted that he made the right decisions. Even when it didn't work out it was usually the right choice or he gave the receiver at least a chance at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Vereen done for the season

Triceps injury need surgery

Blow for the Giants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Vereen done for the season

Triceps injury need surgery

Blow for the Giants

DeAngelo Hall done for the year for the Redskins too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

TB TE Seferian Jenkins has been released after a DUI it seems. Expect someone will pick him up

Jets have claimed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Jets have claimed him.

Surprised he hasn't been banned by the Roger Goodell mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

The Jets hate TEs. Maybe that is his punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Tristram wrote: »
    The Jets hate TEs. Maybe that is his punishment.

they literally don't use tight ends unless they're blocking, hense Kellen Davis being the number 1 TE. Its a strange one!

phatkev wrote: »
    they literally don't use tight ends unless they're blocking, hense Kellen Davis being the number 1 TE. Its a strange one!

Very true as they run a spread offense right which Gailey prefers? Which for the most part unless on short yardage or goalline if running a conventional spread you would go without a TE. Gailey doesn't really have his own offense but has for the most part used a base Spread and has always really tried to adapt to the guy he has which many arguments can be made that this is either a good or bad thing. Really depends on what side of the fence you sit on. I wonder have they got plans to role with more TE sets if Jenkins doesn't see a ban right away. Seems pointless using him as a blocker when that is not his strongest point.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    I wonder have they got plans to role with more TE sets if Jenkins doesn't see a ban right away. Seems pointless using him as a blocker when that is not his strongest point.

I read on the Twitter machine that they've had an eye on for a while and apparently they tried to trade for him during the off-season, so I assume they've got some sort of plan. if nothing else he's another big body for the redzone

It seems Anthony Davis has retired again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Marcel Reece cut by the raiders

Please God somebody tell me that Edelman is going to be QB for the Pats this week? If they were to do that, and win, I think we'd have a new bar for weird, wacky and awesome in the world of the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Please God somebody tell me that Edelman is going to be QB for the Pats this week? If they were to do that, and win, I think we'd have a new bar for weird, wacky and awesome in the world of the NFL.

That Edelman is some handy fecker to have around, eh? :p

I reckon if that did happen and they broke 100-150 yards in the air while getting double digit points it would be a remarkable achievement in and of itself, regardless of the final scoreline. And I wouldn't be shocked if it did either; Belichick is pretty much the Darth Vader of the NFL.

That Edelman is some handy fecker to have around, eh? :p

I reckon if that did happen and they broke 100-150 yards in the air while getting double digit points it would be a remarkable achievement in and of itself, regardless of the final scoreline. And I wouldn't be shocked if it did either; Belichick is pretty much the Darth Vader of the NFL.

Always thought of him as the Emporer, with the hoodie and all...

I don't get why people think it would be weird for Edelman to step in as a QB on Sunday. The guy was a QB all through HS and College and knows the Pats system better than anyone else and actually has a decent arm. Fun video to watch.

High school QB and NFL QB are two different positions in two different sports, to be fair. Though it is the reason he has been mentioned. If they do line him up there, expect to see some incredibly unorthodox play-calling throughout (unless they amass a good lead, in which case... pound, pound, pound the ball with the occasional scramble, short slant or screen). My guess, at least.

High school QB and NFL QB are two different positions in two different sports, to be fair. Though it is the reason he has been mentioned.

I love how you left out college QB in your post and I know there is a big difference but it doesn't change the fact he is and was a QB by trade.

I love how you left out college QB in your post and I know there is a big difference but it doesn't change the fact he is and was a QB by trade.
    Hi there, maybe this will make you happy.
    High school/college QB and NFL QB are two different positions in two different sports, to be fair. Though it is the reason he has been mentioned. If they do line him up there, expect to see some incredibly unorthodox play-calling throughout (unless they amass a good lead, in which case... pound, pound, pound the ball with the occasional scramble, short slant or screen). My guess, at least.

Yours sincerely,
    Timothy The Bow.

:)

I don't get why people think it would be weird for Edelman to step in as a QB on Sunday. The guy was a QB all through HS and College and knows the Pats system better than anyone else and actually has a decent arm. Fun video to watch.

8 years ago, he wasn't good enough to get invited to the Combine, and went in the 7th round, switching positions to do so. I think it would be a remarkable, probably unprecedented, turnaround to find success (of any kind) at QB in the NFL in those circumstances. I could be wrong but I can't think of any comparable situation in the league (admittedly I have only been watching it seriously for a few years). Just would be cool is all.

8 years ago, he wasn't good enough to get invited to the Combine, and went in the 7th round, switching positions to do so. I think it would be a remarkable, probably unprecedented, turnaround to find success (of any kind) at QB in the NFL in those circumstances. I could be wrong but I can't think of any comparable situation in the league (admittedly I have only been watching it seriously for a few years). Just would be cool is all.

1000's of QBs don't get invited to the combine or Draft doesn't mean they are not legit QBs. That is my point. He may not have been good enough to play QB in the NFL but it doesn't change the fact he was a QB for his teenage and young adult life. Granted it will be a big challenge for him to step him given the level the NFL is but he is a tough little mofo and an athlete and he should be able to do as good as Brissett and do a good enough job.

It will be fantastic to watch don't get me wrong but the way it is being talked about not necessarily here one would think Edelman has no experience at the position at all and that he has just some experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

he is a tough little mofo and an athlete and he should be able to do as good as Brissett and do a good enough job.

That's doing a remarkable disservice to Brissett.

He hasn't played there in 8 years. He probably hasn't practiced there in 8 years. I imagine the Pats system looks a bit different under centre then it does running down the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement