Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

yeah but they've been broke for years, but then so is america, they just remortgage their debt.. people loan them more money and the cycle continues

My sister in law's a teacher in California and a few times a year they shut the schools so they won't have to pay the teachers, run the buses, use electricity etc. to save a few quid. It's strange hearing that in the most populous state (wealthiest too?) in the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

its the 5th biggest economy in the world.. on paper anyway.. just dont ask to be paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They might be a perfect fit but I just feel given that I've heard NFL media employees on podcast tip toe around the "place in the desert" and not name Las Vegas. And they are league employees. That's why I don't think the league will be happy. I could be wrong but in private I get the feeling they ain't pleased with it.

I get the impression that the League's position on Vegas has softened in recent years. Jerry Jones has talked positively about it as a location, for example, and his voice carries a lot of influence.

It makes a lot of sense and vetoing it on moral grounds makes little sense considering all the things NFL players keep getting banned for and the fact that the League are more than happy to take money from the Draft Kings, League Safe, et al.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

paulie21 wrote: »
    Thought TD was already in for some reason. Would love to see Bruschi get in

Me too buddy, me too....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On the hall, Dawkins is certain to get in imo, LT too I'd imagine. I'd fancy Hines Ward will get picked.

Chad Johnson should get it based on his career but all his off field stuff from the Ochocinco to domestic violence, which isn't supposed to affect things, will prevent him getting in imo. I'd fancy Vermeil too. I'd be surprised if Bruschi got it first time. Hopefully Kurt Warner gets in, he should have been there first time imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

eagle eye wrote: »
    On the hall, Dawkins is certain to get in imo, LT too I'd imagine. I'd fancy Hines Ward will get picked.

Chad Johnson should get it based on his career but all his off field stuff from the Ochocinco to domestic violence, which isn't supposed to affect things, will prevent him getting in imo. I'd fancy Vermeil too. I'd be surprised if Bruschi got it first time. Hopefully Kurt Warner gets in, he should have been there first time imo.

Yes to Dawkins and Tomlinson, think Owens goes in before Ward. Chad Johnson will have to wait, and I don't think he's made a case ahead of the WR log jam, which should only get worse. I think Warner has done enough to get in - some extremely high highs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

CHAD JOHNSON is eligible for the hall of fame? Hearing that made me feel so old. Can't believe he's out of the league that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thought TO should have got in last year, so I'm definitely looking for him to get in this time. His play absolutely merits it.

Dawkings and LT are the standout first ballot candidates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

eagle eye wrote: »

would agree with that too. And on Bruschi, I would too be surprised if he got in first time. Club legend there is no doubt about it, but I wouldnt think he was the best player league wide in his position. Quite obviously a personal hero of mine so would be fantastic for him to be even more appreciated outside of Foxboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Enjoyed Sherman's player tribute. Gave some great insight into both Pete Carroll and LA.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-seahawks-nfl-in-los-angeles/
    these are guys from some of the roughest schools in Compton, and Coach Carroll has them calling him Uncle Pete. Even today, he can walk into the projects in Compton — projects that some of us who grew up there can’t even walk into because they’re too dangerous. He can go in and talk to the kids, shake hands and kiss babies like it’s nothing.

That’s the kind of respect and admiration he gets in those communities — because of the work he’s done, and because he genuinely cares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Greg roman sacked in buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rex and rob throwing people over board already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Registered Users Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bill Belichick when asked to comment on the situation in buffalo.
    16876507-mmmain1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

As I saw posted on Twitter: "he really struggled to slow down the Jets WR's last night". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

2015 Bills, with now-fired OC Greg Roman, had the best PPG, YPG, yards/play, and pass YPG of any team Rex Ryan has ever had as a head coach.

Well, I guess Rex can't fire himself.. Or his brother. What's that saying - 'the last act of a desperate man'.

Jesus that's disgraceful. His offense scores 31 points, enough to win probably 80% of NFL games (more? I dunno. Most anyway), while his consistently incompetent brother's defence coughs up 37 points, and they fire the OC? How does Rex keep getting these gigs? A few funny quips at press conferences?
    This is as bad as Lovie getting the heave-ho last year by the Bucs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Jesus that's disgraceful. His offense scores 31 points, enough to win probably 80% of NFL games (more? I dunno. Most anyway), while his consistently incompetent brother's defence coughs up 37 points, and they fire the OC? How does Rex keep getting these gigs? A few funny quips at press conferences?
    This is as bad as Lovie getting the heave-ho last year by the Bucs.

Don’t get me wrong on this, I completely agree that he is being made a scapegoat and the Ryans are more at fault, but the 31 points is a bit misleading. The offense was very poor, 2/3 huge plays, a garbage time touchdown, and a touchdown on defense make the score seem a lot better than the actual offense performance.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong on this, I completely agree that he is being made a scapegoat and the Ryans are more at fault, but the 31 points is a bit misleading. The offense was very poor, 2/3 huge plays, a garbage time touchdown, and a touchdown on defense make the score seem a lot better than the actual offense performance.

Yeah I know, I watched it and it was pretty dire, and reading what Bills fans have to say about it, it seems like his run-first offense is a bit old hat these days so he was always going to be on the chopping block, it's just that a game where your utterly useless, couldn't be hired anywhere else brother is the DC behind giving up 37 points, is probably not a great day to be firing the other guy. I think Rex's race is almost ran himself, these are the actions of a desperate man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Yeah I know, I watched it and it was pretty dire, and reading what Bills fans have to say about it, it seems like his run-first offense is a bit old hat these days so he was always going to be on the chopping block, it's just that a game where your utterly useless, couldn't be hired anywhere else brother is the DC behind giving up 37 points, is probably not a great day to be firing the other guy. I think Rex's race is almost ran himself, these are the actions of a desperate man.

I think that draw play on the 3rd and 30 might have been the straw that broke the camels back:pac:

But seriously Blame Schotty, Blame Sparano, Blame Mornhinweg, Blame Tanny Blame Idzik, Blame Woody, Blame Whaley, Blame Sanchez, Blame Tyrod and now Blame Roman!! I think its time Rex realised he might be the problem, and dont get me started on how Rob still has a job in the NFL, the sad thing for Bills fans is he'll be there until Rex is goes. I bet Jim Schwartz is having a right laugh now

Roman was the highest paid OC in the league :eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

What a joke in Buffalo. Firing one of your coordinators before the second week of the season is complete. They went through the offseason, installed the offense, mini camp, preseason and fire him after 2 games?

Last year their offense was 12th in points and 13th in yards, with a first year starter at QB. 1st in rushing yards, TD's and YPC also. Off to a slow start, but other than for disciplinary reasons, what coaching staff is ever fired so early into a season. Probably the most damning indictment of Rex Ryan's tenure in Buffalo really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Once again Rex Ryan proves he is not Head Coach material. He should give up the ghost believing he can be a head coach. He is an excellent defensive coordinator and should stick to what he knows best and coach a defense and stop believing he can coach a whole team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Once again Rex Ryan proves he is not Head Coach material. He should give up the ghost believing he can be a head coach. He is an excellent defensive coordinator and should stick to what he knows best and coach a defense and stop believing he can coach a whole team.

I think Ryan is an idiot - but to suggest he is not 'head coach material' is belied by the fact that owners keep giving him the job. Now the owners that give him the job might be idiots as well but even the best of them make mistakes - the key from an owners perspective is not to make the same mistake twice (and Bowlen's hiring of McIdiot comes to mind with this one). I agree that Ryan should stick to being a DC but it is the nature of the NFL that most coaches want to be the biggest dog possible in control of what they can. The NFL operates as an autocracy.

One of the biggest problems in the NFL is that there is a limited pool of people who are capable of being a good HC on a consistent basis - and it is inevitable that even the best of them will probably eventually run out of road (I am intrigued to see if that will happen with BB and the retirement of Brady will be his biggest challenge) - for the rest of the NFL teams it is really a case of finding the right fit and hope they can sustain competitiveness for an extended period. Ryan is part of that merry-go-round.

I remember when the Jets fired him he said theres no way he'd settle for a coordinators job and that he would take time out of the game if he didnt get a HC offer. He's that headstrong I couldn't see him changing his stance if Buffalo were to fire him

I think Ryan is an idiot - but to suggest he is not 'head coach material' is belied by the fact that owners keep giving him the job. Now the owners that give him the job might be idiots as well but even the best of them make mistakes - the key from an owners perspective is not to make the same mistake twice (and Bowlen's hiring of McIdiot comes to mind with this one). I agree that Ryan should stick to being a DC but it is the nature of the NFL that most coaches want to be the biggest dog possible in control of what they can. The NFL operates as an autocracy.

One of the biggest problems in the NFL is that there is a limited pool of people who are capable of being a good HC on a consistent basis - and it is inevitable that even the best of them will probably eventually run out of road (I am intrigued to see if that will happen with BB and the retirement of Brady will be his biggest challenge) - for the rest of the NFL teams it is really a case of finding the right fit and hope they can sustain competitiveness for an extended period. Ryan is part of that merry-go-round.

Only 1 owner has given Ryan a second chance to date. The Jets gave him his shot as a HC and he showed he really isn't HC material there. The Bills like other teams who don't make good decisions wil continue to make bad decisions hiring guys like Ryan hoping that he will work out for them when realistically he will end up doing the same crap but in record time. He has already shown his time in Buffalo is not different to how he has ended things in NY. But just because owners are stupid enough to give guys like Ryan the job doesn't mean they are actual HC material.

As for the enough coaches or finding the right guy of course that is the burden every owner will face over and over but there is plenty of potentially good coaches out there between Coordinators and assistants and College ball. Its down to the owner and his crew being smart and finding that right fit. Look at the teams who have enjoyed consistency with their HC they make smart decisions and dont pull the trigger on failed HC. And those teams when the time comes will work hard to avoid the crap and look for the guy they believe will carry on the tradition. Its a simple hiring process. Like any company hiring. Have a solid hiring process in place and you will avoid the sh1te.

phatkev wrote: »
    I remember when the Jets fired him he said theres no way he'd settle for a coordinators job and that he would take time out of the game if he didnt get a HC offer. He's that headstrong I couldn't see him changing his stance if Buffalo were to fire him

Sad part is he knows there is always a HC role out there for him so he is right to be that arrogant really. IF Buffalo fire him which I think they will this season he will find a team desperate enough to hire him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sad part is he knows there is always a HC role out there for him so he is right to be that arrogant really. IF Buffalo fire him which I think they will this season he will find a team desperate enough to hire him.

Didn't he say when he go third that this was the last job he's going to take? I know people say things they don't mean all the time though.

I laughed at the 'conspiracy theory' made by Rachel Nichols on ESPN yesterday. If the Bills continue to play crap, Ryan would be sacked by week 5-6 and Roman was the one who would take over. But with him being gone now, they might hold onto Ryan a bit longer as their favoured in-house hire is no longer there. I know she wasn't really being serious but conspiracy theories always make me laugh.

• Advertisement

Didn't he say when he go third that this was the last job he's going to take? I know people say things they don't mean all the time though.

Did he? Damn it wont be long before he retires so.
    I laughed at the 'conspiracy theory' made by Rachel Nichols on ESPN yesterday. If the Bills continue to play crap, Ryan would be sacked by week 5-6 and Roman was the one who would take over. But with him being gone now, they might hold onto Ryan a bit longer as their favoured in-house hire is no longer there. I know she wasn't really being serious but conspiracy theories always make me laugh.

Lets add to the conspiracy. Ryan know now after two games that his job is under threat and he knows the Bills really like Roman to replace him so he fires him as a big FU to the Bills. :D

I would be intrigued to see Roman get his shot though. Biggest question with him will be how he fairs defensively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement