Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

poldebruin wrote: »
    Said in jest, but he clearly benefits from being a team that is well coached, develops talent, gameplans brilliantly and executes fantastically well. The Matt Cassell season still defies belief when you look back.

It doesn't at all. People forget that they went 18-1 the season before. They had a generational team, one that Tim Tebow could nearly have taken to the playoffs, which coincidentally, they didn't actually do.

Not taking credit away from BB, but similarly it can't really be used as a knock on Brady.
    poldebruin wrote: »
    imagine your team won 3/4 of every game they played for 15 years straight....crazy really. They say it's a coptcat league....why has no other team replicated it?

Colts must have been close for a decade or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've no doubt that the performances you are seeing from the Patriots are a response to having their leader wrongly suspended, in my view and theirs I'd imagine, for four games. I would imagine that they have worked harder then ever before and want to stick it to Goodell for taking draft picks and suspending the GOAT.

I watched the game last night and tbh I don't think Brisset was anything special but his ability to run with the ball was important. This is about everybody on that team being better prepared than ever before imo.

Just checked the Colts. From 1999 to 2010 (Manning's last full season) they had a win ratio of 71.8%

138-54.

If you want to include the injury the Luck years, its now at 66.5%

181-91

Not quite Brady's 76%, but Manning was pretty much at that level for over a decade.

Green Bay could have a similar ratio to the Colts, with Favre and Rodgers. Probably around 65%, at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Knex. wrote: »
    Just checked the Colts. From 1999 to 2010 (Manning's last full season) they had a win ratio of 71.8%

138-54.

If you want to include the injury the Luck years, its now at 66.5%

181-91

Not quite Brady's 76%, but Manning was pretty much at that level for over a decade.

Green Bay could have a similar ratio to the Colts, with Favre and Rodgers. Probably around 65%, at a guess.

Over the course of the Favre and Rodgers period (92 - present) we're 245 - 140 - 1. So about 63%.

Not far off, so!

Remember seeing last year, or perhaps the year before, that the highest win % in the NFC East over the past 15 years or so was the Eagles, and by quite a margin. They dominated in the 00's for a while, but ultimately had nothing to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

They look superb. Extremely polished and well coached, its like they've gone up another level. I'd be extremely excited if I was a Patriots fan right now. I've no great love for them normally, but I'm enjoying watching them this year.

Hopefully Eli can become 3li in Super Bowl LI and beat the undefeated Pats once more. I'd die from happiness :p

as Eagle eye commented on, the whole Brady saga is fuel to the fire. You take the Patriots best seasons and most of them come from some sort of chip on the shoulder type incident which drives them on. As much as the ability and skill level of the players is key, that extra drive and mentality of us against the word is prevalent in all sports and how often do you see a player come out after a game saying "you all doubted us" or "we showed everyone now what we are about" even if that player/team was an overwhelming favourite.

The Patriots dont seem immune from that type of reaction, and the most of their better season or bowl wins have had some sort of underdog/chip on the shoulder/we'll show you all type from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

bruschi wrote: »
    as Eagle eye commented on, the whole Brady saga is fuel to the fire. You take the Patriots best seasons and most of them come from some sort of chip on the shoulder type incident which drives them on. As much as the ability and skill level of the players is key, that extra drive and mentality of us against the word is prevalent in all sports and how often do you see a player come out after a game saying "you all doubted us" or "we showed everyone now what we are about" even if that player/team was an overwhelming favourite.

I don't really buy into the "Bulletin Board" or "Chip on the shoulder" providing extra motivation stuff myself. There is a bit of selection bias at play, as how often do you see a losing team or player come out and say " well we had a chip on our shoulder, it motivated me, but it did not make a blind bit of difference" or "you doubted us, and it turns out you were right"!

You mentioned it yourself, ability, skill level are key....mental attitude certainly has a part to play, but for me, the best players have this drive to succeed without perceived sleights driving them on.

Anyway, whatever it is that is bringing sustained success, it will be another season with New England in the mix and a likely AFC championship game appearence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Highlights for me was Special Teams. Allen was on fire with his punts, probably the best ST performance I can remember. I was very happy to see the D play well for the full 60 mins. I'd say they got a right going over for the Dolphins game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Not far off, so!

Remember seeing last year, or perhaps the year before, that the highest win % in the NFC East over the past 15 years or so was the Eagles, and by quite a margin. They dominated in the 00's for a while, but ultimately had nothing to show for it.

That Eagles team was great went to 5 NFC champ games in a row the year that the warren sapp bucs won the sb they really blew it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Brissett needs thumb surgery. Edelman just might have to start week 4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

TB TE Seferian Jenkins has been released after a DUI it seems. Expect someone will pick him up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

paulie21 wrote: »

Pats to go 4-0 surely :cool:

TB TE Seferian Jenkins has been released after a DUI it seems. Expect someone will pick him up

TMZ Sports has obtained the dash cam footage from Austin Seferian-Jenkins' DUI arrest -- and he ALMOST got off scott free ... until he started running his drunken mouth.
    The ex-Bucs tight end was pulled over for an improper lane change after cutting off a cop -- and moments after the stop, the officer was going to let ASJ off with a warning.
    Then Austin started talking ... and slurring ... and the cop quickly realized the 23-year-old was wasted.
    Austin begged the cop to let him go to his QB's house to watch 'American Horror Story' ... but the cop shot that down.
    Once Austin was arrested, he told the cop he needed to take a "huge s***" -- the cop begged him not to do it in his brand new squad car.
    http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/23/austin-seferian-footage-dui-dash-cam-footage/

Austin begged the cop to let him go to his QB's house to watch 'American Horror Story' ... but the cop shot that down...

They are rather trigger happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair, we might be better off in a world without people who still watch AHS. First season or two were kind of sort of interesting, but sweet jaysus did it go to crap after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

paulie21 wrote: »

They could play Belichick QB and I'd be convinced they'd still win given how their season has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paully D wrote: »
    They could play Belichick QB and I'd be convinced they'd still win given how their season has started.

But honestly who expected the pats to be 3-0 with one game of Brady's suspension left ? I certainly didn't. Week 4 the pats are playing with house money basically as at worst they will be 3-1 and possibly 4-0.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    But honestly who expected the pats to be 3-0 with one game of Brady's suspension left ? I certainly didn't. Week 4 the pats are playing with house money basically as at worst they will be 3-1 and possibly 4-0.

I thought they'd lose in Arizona but that they would win the following 3 at home.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I thought their most likely outcome was 2-2 to be honest, though that was with Garoppolo at QB for all the games. I honestly think the Cardinals game with him there was still a bigger upset than against Houston with Brissett, it really is looking more and more like the future beyond Brady could already be there. It will be interesting to see if he is happy to sit until probably the season after next (or longer... Brady's holding up ridiculously well for a 39 year old), but the consistent success of the Patriots for 15 years and chance to keep with Belichick have to be major pull factors. Might also be a benefit that he's from near Chicago, pretty similar to Boston which would offset a want to 'return home' for a west coast or southern state player, e.g. what we saw with Rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    They could play Belichick QB and I'd be convinced they'd still win...

And I'm predicting Belichick will throw the game winning TD to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What's the pick of the early games this evening? Broncos @ Bengals or Lions @ Packers? please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Inquitus wrote: »
    What's the pick of the early games this evening? Broncos @ Bengals or Lions @ Packers? please.

Broncos @ Bengals for me, two serious playoff teams and a really interesting match up between the Bronco D and Bengals O. The Lions haven't looked good so far and neither have the Packers. Now, that could make for a good game but it kind of feels like one that will be decided by mistakes. The most likely outcome would seem to be the Packers getting their **** together and whipping the Lions. But in terms of quality, Denver Cinci is more promising on paper.

Inquitus wrote: »

Broncos/Bengals or Vikings/Panthers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

coco1981 wrote: »

Wait is he saying that the $64/4 years he offered of Osweiler was a good deal but the slightly higher offer of $72/4 years the Texans gave him was a bad deal. Weird comment, its not like he pulled his offer from Brock. Brock choose the Texans over the Broncos, Elway was only saved the embarrassment by the Texans being more embarrassing, not that he had the hindsight that Osweiler was going to be over paid. Seems like a douche comment tbh.

Also, its a little early to write off Osweiler after one bad game.

Can we talk about Bortles, guys?

I had a stat up before this year's draft that showed that 40% of his total yards and 35% of his total TD's in the NFL have come in the 4th quarter/garbage time with the Jaguars getting blown out which is crazy. He's also 0-9 in games where he throws for over 300 yards.

I said before he got he drafted that his mechanics and his propensity for mind-boggling decision making were huge concerns and 3 years later and he's no closer to sorting either out. IMO he's still making the same errors he made in college.

He has plenty of weapons too. It's not as if he's playing for a franchise that is giving him no chance.

Yet, he never really seems to be questioned all that much by the media or analysts and I've seen him labelled a franchise QB on numerous occasions? To me, his total lack of progression is a massive concern if I'm a Jaguars fan. We are 3 years in now and I just don't see how he takes that leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TBF there is no media or analysts talking about Bortles because nobody cares about the Jaguars. Smallest market, no history, losing culture so nobody is going to talk about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF there is no media or analysts talking about Bortles because nobody cares about the Jaguars. Smallest market, no history, losing culture so nobody is going to talk about them.

Ya in fairness I think certain franchises get treated different like ahh bless they are doing very well for them the jags are one of those teams

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that can't stand this kind of reporting from NFL writers, by the way?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-3-grades-browns-have-perfected-the-late-game-meltdown-cards-get-an-f/
    It was Nelson's first multi-touchdown game since December 2014.

I'm not at all claiming it's 'unfair' reporting on Nelson or GB or anything (it happens with all players and teams in the league), but it's just lazy from a reporting standpoint. WOW! His first multi-TD game since December 2014!?!? Yeah... it's also his third game since December 2014. It's just stupidity for effect... would make worlds more sense to comment on his slow start the first two weeks of the season, but no no no - gotta make it since December 2014.

Another major gripe being using random numbers as a marker "the eighth time [QB X] has passed for more than 297 yards and..." -- 297 yards isn't a marker!! Use 300, use 280, etc... not as sure why, but plucking these random numbers just irritates the life out of me!! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement