Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Read recently that Patriots corners play different to the rest of the NFL. They don't do the traditional back peddling, and instead play the same as Alabama DBs do. Its why Cyrus Jones is expected to do well for them.

Might not make a big difference for Rowe, but he could well find himself much more suited to playing corner in a BB defense. Patriots have an interesting roster this year, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Not going to lie but Kline has not been great the last couple of seasons. Shows flashes of solid blocking and then at times gets run over way to easy or misses blocks all over the place. His footwork is a tad on the sloppy side at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭nerd69

Rowe projected better as a safety anyway

Rowe projected better as a safety anyway. Apparently the Eagles are looking to trade Kline

nerd69 wrote: »
    Rowe projected better as a safety anyway. Apparently the Eagles are looking to trade Kline

so that tells you they are hoping Rowe works out for the Pats so that 8th round pick becomes a 3rd round pick. Kline is basically collateral damage in the trade if they are looking to shop him already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Knex. wrote: »
    Read recently that Patriots corners play different to the rest of the NFL. They don't do the traditional back peddling, and instead play the same as Alabama DBs do. Its why Cyrus Jones is expected to do well for them.

Might not make a big difference for Rowe, but he could well find himself much more suited to playing corner in a BB defense. Patriots have an interesting roster this year, I have to say.

Can you expand on what they do differently? I hadn't heard it mentioned before.

Fairly common among some coaches in college especially.

Smart Football did a good article on it a while back

http://smartfootball.com/defense/why-nick-saban-doesnt-teach-backpedaling

Basically rather than the original back pedal method which is face to face with WR and back pedaling they use other techniques to follow the WR. Good video on that link which explains the upside and downside to it with supposed shutdown guys who are not good at the other techniques but watch the DBs footwork in the vid. Non traditional back pedal:

Edit: One thing to note on the Vid Dee Milliner was considered one of the best Shutdown corners in college ball and many believe his problem in the NFL stems from the lack of a traditional back pedal but also there is a lot of debate with the quality of WR going against that Bama secondary and if the non traditional back pedal is as effective as Saban and Belichick and others believe it is. As the article says watch the vid and judge for yourselves :D

I've only picked up on this recently, so I'm still relatively naive on the topic. However, here goes my best explanation:

Backpeddling is apparently used by all NFL teams except Patriots, as its expected that an NFL corner is far quicker, agile and explosive than you average college corner.

The other method, the one applied by BB, his a more conservative style of play that will prevent a DB from being exploited for perhaps not being at the same tier as the other backpeddling DBs.

Instead of backpeddling, they keep one leg open and sort of shuffle backwards with their body facing towards the middle of the field. Apparently this technique is to keep the DBs focus on the middle of the field, placing their back to the sideline most of the time, and using that to your advantage.

When a player gets behind the DB, they're meant to squeeze them against the sideline so they have as small of a window as possible to catch the ball in bounds.

Edit: TOss Sweep got there already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thankfully, I get good deals on my tv packages so I've got all the games covered live in HD. Although, I should probably keep the details private to myself. :cool:

• Advertisement

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Josh Kline OL traded to the Eagles in return for CB Eric Rowe.

So it looks like this is now just a conditional 4th round pick for Rowe. Kline removed from the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The Saints better have a great pass rush this season, as they have just waived their most experienced cornerback Cortland Finnegan, having earlier cut Keenan Lewis. The Saints are therefore entering the season with just 4 cornerbacks on their roster, only one of which has started an NFL game. Delvin Breaux enters his second year as the most experienced corner(he started all 16 games last year and had 3 ints) and he is joined by PJ Williams, who is also entering his second season, but who missed his entire rookie season through injury. The backup corners are De'Vante Harris and Ken Crawley, who were both undrafted rookies.

Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree must be looking forward to this matchup on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

adrian522 wrote: »

Santa Clara PD need everyone behind it to get fired then. That's f*cking disgusting, and nothing short of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Top 25 earners. Some daft and dubious contracts in there. Matt Ryan makes more than Tom Brady! How is Tyrod Taylor in the top 20 ? Kaepernick has enough to be dropping a million on good causes.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000478529/nfls-richest-contracts-for-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Top 25 earners. Some daft and dubious contracts in there. Matt Ryan makes more than Tom Brady! How is Tyrod Taylor in the top 20 ? Kaepernick has enough to be dropping a million on good causes.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000478529/nfls-richest-contracts-for-2016

Matt Ryans wife isnt worth 500million

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

AP is unique, but RBs are a dime a dozen. He's not good enough to justify giving up so much to go "win now". Their defense is what brought them success last year and they aren't going anywhere.

They should have done their best this season, and looked to draft a quality QB prospect next year. Now they are burdened with a crap QB and have given up the ability to build for the future doing so.

Madness.

Theyre not doing it because AP is getting on. Contrary to what some here seem to think, AP isn't the complete Vikings team. He's actually becoming a very expendable piece and certainly wont be coming back on his current money next year. McKinnon is very capable. I can think of 5 other players id rather not see get injured over AP.

This young talent on defence is going to have to get paid sometime. Harrison Smith (now the highest paid safety), Rhodes has a deal coming next year. Barr will cost a fortune in 2 years, as will Floyd in 2, Kendricks in 3, not to mention Linval Joseph who is currently criminally underpaid, and Everson Griffens deal hasnt long left. The team had an advantage this year and next because Teddy was still on a rookie contract. That's now gone. If he ever comes back he'll be paid like a competent starter in 2018.

The team has a 2 year window. Stretching it with excellent coaching, 3 maybe. (An aside, there's a number of talented former HC's with the Vikings. They wont have the huge advantage of Norv Turner, Pat Shumer, Tony Sparano etc in these roles for long). A small market team like this will win a Superbowl on average maybe once every 40 years. I'm not happy with the price but its nowhere near madness to take a shot when your the best set up you'll likely be for a long time.

There's also the stadium issue, you need excitement to fill seats and high price concessions. The owners couldnt go into the season with Hill as QB. And Bradfords money worked out well, as did his contract, 2 years, because Teddy's almost certainly gone for 2 if he ever makes it back.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think the injury to Bridgewater could be a blessing in disguise for the Vikings. Surely one of their backups is better than him, he is distinctly average at best. Hill isn't somebody I'd be completely sold on but I'd still rate him better than Teddy.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I didn't say I was sold on Hill either.

Peterson got injured in Bridgewater's rookie season and he looked distinctly average. I don't think he has improved at all since then.

If you believe that the Vikings were better with a backup or that Teddy hasnt improved since 2014 then you've your head up your hole. Which I believe you do, a stubborn dislike to Teddy because you preferred a lad drafted a few spots later as a QB and youve run him down ever since. Teddy was excellent late last season and was the second highest rated QB in preseason. It was his team these year and looked like he'd taken leaps forward. Most accurate QB in the league last year too despite being pressured considerably more than any other QB

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/minnesota-vikings-teddy-bridgewater-most-accurate-passer-nfl-2015-pff-012116

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Atm Peterson is more valuable than teddy purely because when he is on the field teams have to pay special attention to him which allows other players to get free and untill he starts to show a deterioration he will always be the most valuable player in Minnesota imo

Atm Peterson is more valuable than teddy purely because when he is on the field teams have to pay special attention to him which allows other players to get free and untill he starts to show a deterioration he will always be the most valuable player in Minnesota imo

Vikings season win total dropped 1.5 games in Vegas when Teddy got ruled out. It's was said by the industry that Peterson would barely have dropped that line by half a game. They'd have been far less run first this season and honestly, with Peterson slightly losing a step, the dropoff to McKinnon, while big, isnt quite what you'd think. Look at the Vikings rushing stats in 2014 without AP and using a very raw McKinnon and a plodder in Asiata

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

He is a running back. It simply isn't an influential enough position over all. Sure in specific moments running backs are priceless if they can do their job as well as AP can but to get to those moments you need a pass offense/pass defense. Defense is where the most valuable Viking players are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't know... running the ball is a massive part of the game in terms of maintaining drives, setting the tempo, managing the clock, taking pressure off of your Defense. I don't think having an elite running back who you can rely on can be underestimated. You take the running game out and those valuable defenders suddenly have a much, much more difficult job.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't know... running the ball is a massive part of the game in terms of maintaining drives, setting the tempo, managing the clock, taking pressure off of your Defense. I don't think having an elite running back who you can rely on can be underestimated. You take the running game out and those valuable defenders suddenly have a much, much more difficult job.

Sure they help relieve the pressure on the the defense and get important yards for first downs. It simply pales in comparison to the pass game. You weaken that pass defense and they get destroyed this year. You weaken their running game and they lose one or two more games.

Every superbowl winner in recent history has had a superstar pass offense or pass defense. Many have done it without any serious run game.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Sure they help relieve the pressure on the the defense and get important yards for first downs. It simply pales in comparison to the pass game. You weaken that pass defense and they get destroyed this year. You weaken their running game and they lose one or two more games.

Every superbowl winner in recent history has had a superstar pass offense or pass defense. Many have done it without any serious run game.

I wouldn't say either the Broncos or the Seahawks had superstar pass offences. Also Adrian Peterson has dragged that team to the playoffs with no passing game even with him in decline the pass is to set up the run on that team

nerd69 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say either the Broncos or the Seahawks had superstar pass offences. Also Adrian Peterson has dragged that team to the playoffs with no passing game even with him in decline the pass is to set up the run on that team

This is why I specified pass defense or pass offense (which would also have been a starring factor in the Vikings making the playoffs).

Neither the Broncos or the Seahawks had great pass offenses while winning but they had absolutely dominant pass defenses.

Two of the last three have had an excellent pass defense coupled with a decent (Broncos) or excellent (Seahawks) run game, and a passing attack that was far from mindblowing. A bad run defense and/or lack of a run game can mess absolutely anyone up - it did to the Packers for a number of years and is a very important thing to have.

That said, Peterson is close to the end and I think it's his last year in MIN; if I were them I'd be far more interested in keeping the defense together and building on it than I would be in keeping Peterson short term.

This is why I specified pass defense or pass offense (which would also have been a starring factor in the Vikings making the playoffs).

Neither the Broncos or the Seahawks had great pass offenses while winning but they had absolutely dominant pass defenses.

Well the Vikings are only set to get better this year in terms of age, turnover, etc despite last year having the 2nd least passing yards allowed, the 7th least per attempt and the 2nd least TDs allowed (they could improve turnovers though - tied 5th least picks in the league). The average QBR against could improve having been at 16th, but again that ties in with interceptions.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well the Vikings are only set to get better this year in terms of age, turnover, etc despite last year having the 2nd least passing yards allowed, the 7th least per attempt and the 2nd least TDs allowed (they could improve turnovers though - tied 5th least picks in the league). The average QBR against could improve having been at 16th, but again that ties in with interceptions.

Absolutely. I am guessing that they want as many decent seasons with that defense as possible with the Bradford move. They might be able to keep that defense together for a few seasons but a superbowl win is never guaranteed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The rap sheet for Bruce Miller makes for some disturbing reading. It's no surprise at all the 49ers released him. Doubt he gets another shot any time soon, he's not good enough for teams to overlook this.

https://twitter.com/mgafni/status/773958826823262208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement