Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Not a hope. Bears have a lot of depth issues at o line but the days of taking on expensive veterans for huge ransoms to provide short term solutions are what got us into that situation to begin with. Everything they've been doing points towards efforts to get younger, even if in the short term that means serious struggles in some parts of the field. But there's a few very strong teams with solid quarterbacks that are in dire need of solid o line play to step up a level and he'd be a huge addition to any of them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/04/report-josh-sitton-signs-with-bears/

So much for that!! Sitton signed for the Bears.
    In fairness I was hoping the Broncos would take a look at him for a year.

In other Bears news, Robbie Gould released - not sure if this was a surprise, but I always thought of him as one of the better kickers in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

poldebruin wrote: »
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/04/report-josh-sitton-signs-with-bears/

So much for that!! Sitton signed for the Bears.
    In fairness I was hoping the Broncos would take a look at him for a year.

In other Bears news, Robbie Gould released - not sure if this was a surprise, but I always thought of him as one of the better kickers in the league.
    Two big surprises there! The sitton signing retrievers the emergency situation we have but in terms of building the team its really out of character and I'm not sure I like it, but i guess I'll see the contract details...

Gould, I'm surprised in one sense, because historically he's one of the best kickers in the NFL, but he's also one of the most expensive and has been very poor last year in key pressure situations. In preseason he missed a lot of kicks too. Still a kick in the teeth, he was special teams captain last year and is considered an important veteran leader in the locker room. All that is not much use if you can't kick the ball i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Sitton contract is a little nuts, though. 3-year, $21.75 million deal, 10M guaranteed. I'm not sure many franchises would be willing to hand that out to a 30 year old guard.

Knex. wrote: »
    The Sitton contract is a little nuts, though. 3-year, $21.75 million deal, 10M guaranteed. I'm not sure many franchises would be willing to hand that out to a 30 year old guard.

Yeah it's crazy on the face of it, reminds me of the kind of contract the last GM would have been handing out. Not a fan of the move at all. We got rid of Matt forte because he was too old and expensive. I didn't like it but it made sense. In that context this seems completely illogical. Even if he plays really well, we are still early in a rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Yeah it's crazy on the face of it, reminds me of the kind of contract the last GM would have been handing out. Not a fan of the move at all. We got rid of Matt forte because he was too old and expensive. I didn't like it but it made sense. In that context this seems completely illogical. Even if he plays really well, we are still early in a rebuild.

Do you not think the Bears could be decent this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Bears have potential but they're in a tough division. Still behind Minnesota on the development curve and nowhere near as solid as the Packers. NFC has become a tough division to pick up wins in, I'd have the Lions and Bears fighting it out to stay off the bottom of the pile but both still to be close to a .500 season.

For my money the NFC north and the AFC East are the toughest divisions this year. Broncos/Chiefs/Raiders could all go deep into the players, as could Minnesota and GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭nerd69

carson wentz named eagles starter im very supprised by this

nerd69 wrote: »
    carson wentz named eagles starter im very supprised by this

Bradford was the only QB on the roster that looked NFL ready to me. Daniel, by all accounts, was quite disappointing with his time during preseason and in camp.

Still, they're not giving Wentz a whole lot of protection here. Ideally he would sit the first few games at least, especially after the rib injury setting him back.

You can see why Eagles did trade Bradford, though. The deal they got was just too good to turn down. If Wentz comes through the season unscathed and with a platform to build upon, Eagles could find themselves in a great position this time next year.

I think the Eagles defense will make things that bit more comfortable for the rookie, though. That corps under Gym Shorts should be excellent and should ease some of the pressure on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭nerd69

Knex. wrote: »
    Bradford was the only QB on the roster that looked NFL ready to me. Daniel, by all accounts, was quite disappointing with his time during preseason and in camp.

Still, they're not giving Wentz a whole lot of protection here. Ideally he would sit the first few games at least, especially after the rib injury setting him back.

You can see why Eagles did trade Bradford, though. The deal they got was just too good to turn down. If Wentz comes through the season unscathed and with a platform to build upon, Eagles could find themselves in a great position this time next year.

I think the Eagles defense will make things that bit more comfortable for the rookie, though. That corps under Gym Shorts should be excellent and should ease some of the pressure on him.

chase has looked really terrible so far to be honest but in fairness the skill players we have around him are possibly the worst in the league.

what I found interesting is that apparently howie and doug pederson talked to some of the vets on the team to see if they felt he was ready and if they where happy with him as a starting qb (I wouldnt have thought the likes of jason peters would be happy riding out his career with a young qb learning the game) but across the board they all gave him the thumbs up. He also got a vote of confidence from big ben during the week who said that because of the offence he ran he felt he was more nfl ready than some d1 guys if anything.

I personally think we would be better off sitting him for a year so that he can develop but its a good sign that the vets are standing behind him. Still thing its going to be a really rough year for him we need more weapons on offence. As long as he stays healthy and looks capable this year I think that would be a great sign.

Im also very curious to see how sammy sleeves does in probably the most talented offence that he will have played in

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The 49ers have released FB Bruce Miller as he was arrested this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »

So how long until Jerry Jones signs him?

Do you not think the Bears could be decent this year?

At best. Too many pieces missing to be really competitive. Don't really want another mediocre season, we have plenty of those, would rather take the lumps that come with recording rather than putting in expensive veteran stop gaps.

At best. Too many pieces missing to be really competitive. Don't really want another mediocre season, we have plenty of those, would rather take the lumps that come with recording rather than putting in expensive veteran stop gaps.

Cutlet , ?Jeffrey and Langford are going to be good though. I think there is plenty of reason to optimistic especially with bridgewater going down in Minnesota.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Itssoeasy wrote: »

This was his second arrest in 18 months. He was previously arrested for spousal battery.

This arrest was bit weird to say the least. He apparently wandered into the wrong hotel room, attacked a guest who told him he was at the wrong room, and also attacked the guest’s father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Cutlet , ?Jeffrey and Langford are going to be good though. I think there is plenty of reason to optimistic especially with bridgewater going down in Minnesota.

Does Cultet have a good??? Jeffrey is elite and langford is an unproven no1 rb - i think it could be a tough year again for the bears - like dont get me wrong - there lbs are good - and sitton is a definite upgrade on the line - but seems like a team in rebuild - and with white getting a year under his belt - maybe next year....

Does Cultet have a good??? Jeffrey is elite and langford is an unproven no1 rb - i think it could be a tough year again for the bears - like dont get me wrong - there lbs are good - and sitton is a definite upgrade on the line - but seems like a team in rebuild - and with white getting a year under his belt - maybe next year....

Cutler even White looks like he can contribute straight away, I think Langford looked great last year would expect him to continue on that route. There is a reason they let Forte go. Jeffrey has game changer ability. Plus they have some nice slot receivers in Royal, Wilson. Miller and Paulson are serviceable TE's too.

Probably are in the midst of a rebuild but I think that divison is more open than people are saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I had heard White has struggled this preseason. How's he been?

I had heard White has struggled this preseason. How's he been?

Not great in pre season but bags of talent.

yeah i heard the same that he was struggling to learn the offense - i dont deny the guy has loads of talent and hope he comes good - but think he could be a project for this year!

The division is more open than people think - cos we seen the bears and lions beat the packers - packers beat the vikes - its quite open.... but talent wise on each roster - Vikes and Packers are maybe a year ahead in relation to talent than lions and bears

• Advertisement

4 Games on Sky on Sunday - Packers Vs Jags @ 6 - Cowboys vs Giants @ 9 - Steelers vs Redskins @ 12.10 and Patriots vs Cards @ 1.30!!

WOOOOHOOOOO Football!!!

nice - that will be on the laptop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

4 Games on Sky on Sunday - Packers Vs Jags @ 6 - Cowboys vs Giants @ 9 - Steelers vs Redskins @ 12.10 and Patriots vs Cards @ 1.30!!

WOOOOHOOOOO Football!!!

Redskins v Steelers is MNF.

apologies.... was looking on the sky site at they had it listed as monday morning.... making me look like an idiot....

Charles James II Player's Tribune. Really enjoyed it.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/charles-james-hard-knocks-heart-over-height/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just trivia but Siemian will be the first QB to start the new season for a Superbowl Champion team that has never thrown a pass in his NFL career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Josh Kline OL traded to the Eagles in return for CB Eric Rowe.
    Philadelphia is sending cornerback Eric Rowe, a 2015 second-round pick, to the Patriots for offensive lineman Josh Kline and a 2018 fourth-round pick, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported according to a source. The 2018 pick can upgrade to a third-rounder if Rowe satisfies certain conditions. This is a move that continues Eagles VP Howie Roseman's erasure of the Chip Kelly era, while giving the Patriots another option for a quietly thin cornerback group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Josh Kline OL traded to the Eagles in return for CB Eric Rowe.

Rowe flashed real talent at times last year but he was beyond bad in camp this year. Fully expect him to become an all pro in New England.

Don't know too much about Kline outside of the fact that he lost out to rookies in camp this year apparently. Tho apparently we're trading him already.

Howie is just playing Madden franchise mode at this stage. Tho i can't belive we get a 4th rounder for him... possibly a 3rd depending on conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement