Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

who cares?
    seeing as you took the time to write that pointless sentence, sounds like you obviously do care

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

seeing as you took the time to write that pointless sentence, sounds like you obviously do care

We shouldn't pander to them.

We shouldn't pander to them.
    we aren't "pandering" to anyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

The Ottomans, British & French are to blame for that.

And Germany to for that matter. And all these countries should be held to account for Palestine refuges & the appalling conditions in Gaza & the Bank (The West is pretty much gone from it) And Britain especially as it was them who started the whole thing of with the Balfour Declaration to draw the US into WW1. Germany also has a special role in this tragedy & a embarrassment & crime of silence to the whole world. There wouldn't be 100's of 1000's of European Jews flooding into Palestine to escape the Germans, so the German just like the British should own up to their part in this destruction of a people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

And Germany to for that matter. And all these countries should be held to account for Palestine refuges & the appalling conditions in Gaza & the Bank (The West is pretty much gone from it) And Britain especially as it was them who started the whole thing of with the Balfour Declaration to draw the US into WW1. Germany also has a special role in this tragedy & a embarrassment & crime of silence to the whole world. There wouldn't be 100's of 1000's of European Jews flooding into Palestine to escape the Germans, so the German just like the British should own up to their part in this destruction of a people.

Palestine isn't faultless in the current conflict. They started the war against Israeli in 1948, and the Arab nations have tried to invade Israel several times, even going so far as to issue the Khartoum Resolution (no peace, no compromise, no Israel).

Yes, Israel's actions are deplorable and they should be brought to heel, but to blame is solely on the West (and the Ottomans), and ignore Palestine's own wrong doings, is ridiculous. Both sides deserve a good smack across the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

we aren't "pandering" to anyone

Yeah but thats what your bitching about. Our failure to adopt muslim culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

if it wasn't a serious newspaper headline, i'd take it all and this whole thread for a joke...
    also surprises me, given the large number of muslims in dublin and the "halal" signs all over the place...of course, in some donegal village one might not so easily find a prayer room or a halal restaurant...same as in rural areas anywhere...
    so to all the travelling muslims out there i can only say this: if ireland or any other place isn't "muslim-friendly" enough for you, feel free to stay away...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I thought the whole point of travelling was to experience local culture and see how people from that country live.

If you want to travel and experience your own culture then that's completely pointless and you should stay at home.

Noone is coming here for the sunshine, lets face it, tourists come here for the tacky Irish diddly damsha, great food, drink, music, craic, our beautiful castles and history.

If you come here and don't want any of that, what are you here for?
    Why travel all the way from what you want to pray in a rainy country, avoid all the drink, avoid all the local food for fear it's not true halal, eat in only muslim run restaurants serving food you can get at home, keep away from the traditional music as its associated with the drink you're avoiding, keep away from most of the history as its all steeped in Catholic dogma.

What's the point?

Palestine isn't faultless in the current conflict. They started the war against Israeli in 1948, and the Arab nations have tried to invade Israel several times, even going so far as to issue the Khartoum Resolution (no peace, no compromise, no Israel).

Yes, Israel's actions are deplorable and they should be brought to heel, but to blame is solely on the West (and the Ottomans), and ignore Palestine's own wrong doings, is ridiculous. Both sides deserve a good smack across the head.
    the palestinians were defending the stealing of their land though. once the state of israel was set up the clenzeing of the palestians began.

• Advertisement

Yeah but thats what your bitching about. Our failure to adopt muslim culture.

rubbish. catering for people where possible isn't adopting a culture

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Well we wouldn't go to Saudi Arabia and complain about the lack of Christmas Trees during December and get upset when they refuse to serve bacon or ham.

Ye have to adopt and respect the cultures/customs of the area you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Anyone getting worked up about this has reading comprehension problems. I will not apologise for saying that, because if you actually read the fuccking article:

• It's just an overview of facilities and practices in Ireland, a tally by one muslim tourist board.
    • It's not a poll of muslims, asking if they would visit Ireland or not.

It's not an attack on Ireland, and it's not even close to 'muslims asking us to change our ways'. I honestly doubt that muslims willing to travel somewhere are going to give a flying fucck whether the country is halal enough for them or not, and this article does not approach the views of actual muslims.

But no, sure our way of life is under attack now :rolleyes:

This needs to be reposted again and again. No one read the ****ing article. Ireland were 24th on a list of 25 ****ing countries. All the survey did was rate the countries in terms of the amenities provided to Muslims for Muslim consideration, noone ****ing told us to change a ****ing thing. You're all ****ing idiots.

the palestinians were defending the stealing of their land though. once the state of israel was set up the clenzeing of the palestians began.

Yea, you'd think that, but in actual fact, the Arabs and Jews were attacking each other for decades prior to Britain splitting Palestine in two. The Jews came in, started buying up land, and didn't want to be second-class citizens (Dhimmi, in Arabic). Arabs wanted to keep Jews and Christians as Dhimmi. Britain split the country in two, and Palestine (not Israel, Palestine) declared war.

You're acting as though the Palestinians are blameless here. They're simply not. Of course, we should pressure Israel to give back land and let the Palestinians become a State, but if they declare war again, like they've done before, there should be absolutely no support from the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yea, you'd think that, but in actual fact, the Arabs and Jews were attacking each other for decades prior to Britain splitting Palestine in two. The Jews came in, started buying up land, and didn't want to be second-class citizens (Dhimmi, in Arabic). Arabs wanted to keep Jews and Christians as Dhimmi. Britain split the country in two, and Palestine (not Israel, Palestine) declared war.

The whole "dhimmi" thing was abolished by the ottomans in the mid 1800's. Please stop spreading disinformation and nonsense.

Well we wouldn't go to Saudi Arabia and complain about the lack of Christmas Trees during December and get upset when they refuse to serve bacon or ham.

Ye have to adopt and respect the cultures/customs of the area you're in.
    no you don't. you can bring your own culture with you as long as it doesn't involve violence or cruelty. christmas trees in saudi means nothing. unless you believe we should behave like that dump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

"Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists"

And the problem is?

Nodin wrote: »
    The whole "dhimmi" thing was abolished by the ottomans in the mid 1800's. Please stop spreading disinformation and nonsense.

The Ottomans tried to, and the Arabs in Palestine ignored it, and wanted to keep the Jews are Dhimmi. Much like how the Arabs breached the 1888 Constantinople Convention by blockading the Suez later.

It's not disinformation or nonsense. Read a book.

no you don't. you can bring your own culture with you as long as it doesn't involve violence or cruelty. christmas trees in saudi means nothing. unless you believe we should behave like that dump

Saudi Arabia is Wahhabi. You try practicing your religion out in the open, and see how long it is before you're locked in some third world dungeon.

The Ottomans tried to, and the Arabs in Palestine ignored it, and wanted to keep the Jews are Dhimmi.

'Palestinians ignored it'. Source?
    Much like how the Arabs breached the 1888 Constantinople Convention by blockading the Suez later..

Egypt. It's a state. The middle east is composed of them. Like Europe, European states and Europeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As a very few people have said, maybe three out of 18 pages of mostly nonsense, nobody is complaining. Muslims are not demanding anything. A marketing firm and a credit card company have done a survey for local consumption suggesting to (probably conservative) Muslims where they will most likely feel at home.

This is not to say that all Muslims want to feel at home when they go on holiday, maybe like most of us they prefer a new experience.

If a similar survey was done in Ireland it would probably put Lourdes at the top of the list (I was going to say Medjugorje but I can't spell it) Or the Spanish Costa del Whatsit. Would the rest of the world get offended and discuss it to death?

Here's a really off the wall idea...read the article before commenting!

'Palestinians ignored it'. Source?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercommunal_conflict_in_Mandatory_Palestine#The_Arab_response_to_Zionism

"In 1856 the Ottomans issued the Hatt-i Humayun, guaranteeing equal rights for all Ottoman subjects. Despite this, Muslims kept viewing Jews as dhimmi's: people protected by, but subordinate to Muslims. This changed when, due to Jewish immigration and land purchase, they realised that Zionism wanted to make a Jewish homeland in at least part of Palestine. Both Christians and Muslims were worried"

"inb4wikipediaisntavalidsource"

I don't feel like finding a .pdf of C.D. Smith's 4th Edition "Palestine and the Arab-Israeli conflict" to look for the page.
    Egypt. It's a state. The middle east is composed of them. Like Europe, European states and Europeans.

Yes, the Suez Crisis was started by Egypt, with backing from Syria and Iraq. Much like how the initial 1948 war was fought by Palestinians, Egyptians, Syrians, Jordanians, Iraqis and Lebanese. It's easier to say "Arabs" rather than naming each country every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

According to a survey, Ireland is the least Islam-friendly country, second only to Mexico.
    Muslims complain the lack of restaurant where they can have meals according their traditions and the lack of places for instant prayer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-one-of-least-muslim-friendly-countries-report-1.2125955

I think that when one visits a different country they should adapt to the way of life of that country.
    I'm Italian and I travel to Ireland every year for my holidays, but I never complained for not finding enough restaurants that serve pasta and good wine, nor did I complain for not finding mixer taps in the bathrooms as often as here in Italy, or for the driving on the left-hand side of the roads.
    I think that when one is travelling for tourism is for knowing other cultures and traditions, not for exporting their habits to the country they are visitng.
    What is your opinion?
    Maybe if they stopped whinging and complaining about their way of life and how every other nationality should cater for their needs they could carry on like everyone else in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Maybe if they stopped whinging and complaining about their way of life and how every other nationality should cater for their needs they could carry on like everyone else in the world.

Did you read the article?

Actually don't answer that, because I know you didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercommunal_conflict_in_Mandatory_Palestine#The_Arab_response_to_Zionism

"In 1856 the Ottomans issued the Hatt-i Humayun, guaranteeing equal rights for all Ottoman subjects. Despite this, Muslims kept viewing Jews as dhimmi's:.

....which is rather different from an enforced legal state, thanks bunches.

Yes, the Suez Crisis was started by Egypt, with backing from Syria and Iraq. Much like how the initial 1948 war was fought by Palestinians, Egyptians, Syrians, Jordanians, Iraqis and Lebanese. It's easier to say "Arabs" rather than naming each country every time.

So you won't bother naming individual states, because they aren't worthy of respect, and just use the term "arabs" because they're all a giant amorphous horde anyway.

....which is rather different from an enforced legal state, thanks bunches.

They, en masse, ignored it. Dhimmi, and the tax (Jiza, Jizya? I cant remember) are still used by Muslim fundamentalist groups. Muslim Brotherhood, Taliban, etc.
    So you won't bother naming individual states, because they aren't worthy of respect, and just use the term "arabs" because they're all a giant amorphous horde anyway.

No, I won't name them every time, because they come under the same umbrella, their goal and motivation is the same. Why would I say Egypt-Iraqi-Syrian-Jordanian-Palestinian every time, when their goal and motivation doesn't change? It's easier to say Arab, because they have popular support from the Arab world, and sectarian conflict in the Mandate of Palestine was along the lines of religion and creed (Jew, Christian, Muslim/Arab).

Don't try to make me out to be some sort of a racist. I'm pro-Palestinian statehood. I just think that ignorance of history muddies the waters and clouds any serious debate, so I clear it up and play the devil's advocate every time I can.

They, en masse, ignored it. Dhimmi, and the tax (Jiza, Jizya? I cant remember) are still used by Muslim fundamentalist groups. Muslim Brotherhood, Taliban, etc.)..

The muslim brotherhood imposed such a tax in Egypt?
    No, I won't name (.............)(Jew, Christian, Muslim/Arab)..

So as I said you won't bother naming individual states, because they aren't worthy of respect, and you'll just use the term "arabs" because they're all a giant amorphous horde anyway

The muslim brotherhood imposed such a tax in Egypt?

They had intended to impose the tax on Coptic Egyptians, yeah.
    So as I said you won't bother naming individual states, because they aren't worthy of respect, and you'll just use the term "arabs" because they're all a giant amorphous horde anyway

Yea, yea, that's exactly what I'm saying.

I'm going to include this sentence for anyone who thinks I'm not being sarcastic.

They had intended to impose the tax on Coptic Egyptians, yeah..

Source?
    Yea, yea, that's exactly what I'm saying.

It would seem so, and rather unashamedly so too.

• Advertisement

Source?

Do you not know how to use google?
    It would seem so, and rather unashamedly so too.

Ah would you ever go away out of that, with your "dindu nuffin".

Advertisement