Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Mets pitching is outstanding.

What NLCS we will have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Is it too much to ask for a Mets - Blue Jays WS? I'd love to see RA pitch against his old team and throw in the D'Arnaud/Syndegaard aspect too and it would make for interesting viewing. It'd be an Eastern match-up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Delighted for them. Roll on the NLCS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Wow. Full thoughts in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    It's by far the biggest moment of his career, probably his life.

Well I notice that he has 2 kids, so I would think that hitting a home run in a baseball game won't be anywhere near his top moments in life.
    Is there a moment better than that in life? If you can't show emotion that situation then these "unwritten rules" are completely ridiculous. We need more of this emotion in baseball.

It's just a personal preference, but all the sportspeople that I really respect all have huge amounts of humility, it's a trait I can really appreciate. There are other (better, imho) ways of showing emotion.

As it happens now, all everyone is talking about is the flip and not the actual home run (which was a great home run, I might add).

Edit: an interesting perspective from earlier on in the year http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/playing-baseball-right-way-depends-three-factors-when-who-where-061615

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ahh... the joy of it all. Love the steal on the shift and bad defense. Gutty pitching... big hits... big plays. What an NLDS, two of the top teams going at it hammer and tong.

Can't wait for the NLCS and the date with the Jays in WS. Had hoped for the Cardinals in the NLCS, oh well, sorry Deadbirds. Cubs/Mets for the NLCS who would've picked that at the start of the season? Cubs handled the Mets during the regular season, which as of today, means nothing.

Joy, joy, joy... Postseason & a chance for the pennant! LGM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Royals take Astros in 4
    Blue Jays take Rangers in 5

Mets take Dodgers in 4
    Cubs take Cardinals in 3

Cant ask for more than that really - 4 for 4 in the Series! And one correct score in the Blue Jays! :D:D:D

Well Ive had a bit of sleep and caught up on everything now and it's absolutely amazing that they got it done. And Murph coming through of all people. If they had lost, that could have been his last game as a Met so it was nice that it was him who did all the damage. De Grom battled through not having his best stuff was great to see too.

Looking forward to Saturday now. I think the Cubs hitters have a big advantage over the Mets hitters but after Arieta, I think the Mets have the edge in pitching so it'll be an interesting battle.

The Mets haven't had a day game in the playoffs yet (every other series so far seems to have had a couple) so it's disappointing to see the first 2 games in this series are night games too. At least one is Saturday night I suppose.

On a side note, congrats Jack .. watching it last night I was a nervous wreck for you and my Mets fans.

Well Ive had a bit of sleep and caught up on everything now and it's absolutely amazing that they got it done. And Murph coming through of all people. If they had lost, that could have been his last game as a Met so it was nice that it was him who did all the damage. De Grom battled through not having his best stuff was great to see too.

Looking forward to Saturday now. I think the Cubs hitters have a big advantage over the Mets hitters but after Arieta, I think the Mets have the edge in pitching so it'll be an interesting battle.

The Mets haven't had a day game in the playoffs yet (every other series so far seems to have had a couple) so it's disappointing to see the first 2 games in this series are night games too. At least one is Saturday night I suppose.

Cubs/Mets has to be night games man to give more Americans a chance to view it. Going to be an epic series. Cubs definitely with an advantage at bat but likewise the Mets definitely an advantage on the pitching only thing I would worry about is that I think the Cubs have a nasty 1/2 in Arrieta and Lester .. over 7 they could win 4.

Super for the Mets to get there though man :) Congrats!

• Advertisement

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the sac fly that scored the Mets second run last night. LA had a 2-1 lead but the Mets had men on the corners and one out.

D'Arnaud hits a fly ball into foul ground that is caught and Murph tags up and scores. With Greinke on the mound would LA have been better to let the ball drop and take their chances of getting a couple of strike outs or ground outs that would have prevented the run or is getting the out more important? D'Arnaud and Conforto went 0-6 so it wasn't murderer's row up next either.

In a tight game where runs are scarce and you have one of the best pitchers in the game and he's pitching great and you have the lower third of the order up, it could be argued thst it might have been better to let the ball go foul and take their chances and maintain the lead. Although if they had done this and a monster inning occurred, they'd be crucified. Tough game with tough decisions, I'm glad I'm just a bum at home watching and not having to make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

mod9maple wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for a Mets - Blue Jays WS? I'd love to see RA pitch against his old team and throw in the D'Arnaud/Syndegaard aspect too and it would make for interesting viewing. It'd be an Eastern match-up as well.

Dickey pitching to Yoenis! Arf.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game last night. Wall-falling with the tiredness now.
    I could not get to sleep after the game. My mind was racing with the events.

The steal of 3rd base was just so funny yet so crucial. DeGrom hung in there and the double play to end the 3rd was just massive. He was on the ropes.
    I missed the first second of the final pitch as Familia did a quick pitch. The cheek of him!!

lambayire wrote: »
    Dickey pitching to Yoenis! Arf

When he's on, Dickey can make a fool out of any batter.

When he's on, Dickey can make a fool out of any batter.

That wasn't my angle on that one. Say the names slowly!
    Just a bit of smut for a Friday morning.

lambayire wrote: »
    That wasn't my angle on that one. Say the names slowly!
    Just a bit of smut for a Friday morning.

Aaahh, I get it now. Nice one!

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the sac fly that scored the Mets second run last night. LA had a 2-1 lead but the Mets had men on the corners and one out.

D'Arnaud hits a fly ball into foul ground that is caught and Murph tags up and scores. With Greinke on the mound would LA have been better to let the ball drop and take their chances of getting a couple of strike outs or ground outs that would have prevented the run or is getting the out more important? D'Arnaud and Conforto went 0-6 so it wasn't murderer's row up next either.

In a tight game where runs are scarce and you have one of the best pitchers in the game and he's pitching great and you have the lower third of the order up, it could be argued thst it might have been better to let the ball go foul and take their chances and maintain the lead. Although if they had done this and a monster inning occurred, they'd be crucified. Tough game with tough decisions, I'm glad I'm just a bum at home watching and not having to make them!

Its a great question, I think I would have dropped it in foul and hoped the Greinke could either induce a grounder or strike out the two. Of course the law of averages in baseball states that D'Arnaud would then send one into the upper echelons of the stand for a 3 run homer.

Murphy's steal of third is such a brilliant heads up play .. absolute genius.

There was something on ESPN last night that, statistically, the Mets chances of winning improved 7% with the sac fly.

At the time I thought it an odd play, especially with Greinke on the mound.

Murphy's steal of third is such a brilliant heads up play .. absolute genius.

The funny thing is that Murph is known for making poor decisions when running the bases and has been put out numerous times after getting caught in no-man's land. Blind squirrel and all that.....!!!!

Seriously though, I love Murph and it'll be sad seeing him play somewhere else next season (probably)

ALCS starts tonight. Who'd you reckon wins? Estrada up against Volquez in Game 1. Fairly evenly matched I'd say.

I wonder what kind of weird play we'll get in this one.

• Advertisement

Have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of bat flipping in general and I thought Bautista's was way over the top. I get that it's showboating and that the fans like to see it, but I much prefer the players that show a bit of humility.

I take it you won't be interested in buying either of the bat flipping Tshirts from here then?

http://breakingt.com/collections/mlb

The funny thing is that Murph is known for making poor decisions when running the bases and has been put out numerous times after getting caught in no-man's land. Blind squirrel and all that.....!!!!

Seriously though, I love Murph and it'll be sad seeing him play somewhere else next season (probably)

I think the Mets keep him because of sentiment and I think he will take a pay cut to stay .. some pitching staff there right now

And none of the starters for the mets earned more than 600k this year .. so funny!

ALCS starts tonight. Who'd you reckon wins? Estrada up against Volquez in Game 1. Fairly evenly matched I'd say.

I wonder what kind of weird play we'll get in this one.

Estrada has been brilliant for the Blue Jays. I think they have a serious advantage in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Jose on his way home after the game the other night!

365737.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think the Mets keep him because of sentiment and I think he will take a pay cut to stay .. some pitching staff there right now

And none of the starters for the mets earned more than 600k this year .. so funny!

Signing Murphy is a tough question to answer. He'll command good money, and he makes *so* many bad plays - I mean, you can put some of the blame for Tejada's leg fracture on the throw (it wasn't a great throw at all.) Of course, Slutley is to blame.

Murphy's having a great postseason. If he's not signed, Flores becomes the SS and Herrera the 2b in some combo, which frankly isn't as inspiring as Murphy/Flores might have been. Tejada's likely gone - 2d leg break, won't be tendered a contract, so back to 'needing a shortstop' at the start of the season.

Also, having Murphy around means he can spell Wright, who is hurt a lot.

I dunno, the bad plays really do gripe me. The great plays are exciting too. Just always find myself holding my breath when Murphy's on defense....

First priority is to sign Cespedes. Then maybe Murphy walks, and the team gets a drop off in offense from 2b but possibly a defensive upgrade, which matters to a team with such dominant pitching.

But, Murphy's a Met till the end of the WS, so lets not worry about Murphy till after that! And if he's got a ring with the Mets, maybe he *will* take a little less to play in NYC (he'd be crazy to, in my opinion, they're not elite athletes for very long and it really is about the money...)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Eh...

dkemMt0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Eh...

dkemMt0.jpg

Bit of a weird strike zone last night. I don't know was it consistent for both teams but from the brief highlights I watched, the BJs weren't happy with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Greinke has decided to opt out and test free agency..

Interesting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Greinke has decided to opt out and test free agency..

I can see Toronto being in on him. A lot of money is coming off the books this winter and they'll need SPs.

Advertisement