Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Booking flights today to New York. If the World Series goes to Game 5 Mets will be at home that night. Hoping it's Blue Jays to join them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No games tonight. Withdrawal symptoms will be kicking in. Although a full night's sleep will be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Hugely disappointing series for the neutral. I didn't really care who won, just as long as it wasn't a sweep.
    Mets-Cubs had the makings of an all-time classic series and we got anything but.

At the very least we won't have to watch TBS's coverage anymore and their insistence of showing you the scene inside some random bar in New York or Chicago anytime anything of note happens.

Also, Kyle Schwarber is not a Gold Glover.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

At the very least we won't have to watch TBS's coverage anymore and their insistence of showing you the scene inside some random bar in New York or Chicago anytime anything of note happens.

American broadcasts always seem to do that for some reason during playoffs in the big sports (although don't remember seeing it for NFL games). At least the bar in NY (McFaddan's) has some relevance to the Mets as it's part of Citi Field.
    Also, Kyle Schwarber is not a Gold Glover.

No, definitely not! A future dh or first baseman probably.

American broadcasts always seem to do that for some reason during playoffs in the big sports (although don't remember seeing it for NFL games). At least the bar in NY (McFaddan's) has some relevance to the Mets as it's part of Citi Field.

ESPN used Foleys for the Yankees games, or should I say game, which I would urge anyone here to visit if they are in New York. Amazing baseball bar packed with memorabilia.

Still, I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the inside the bar shots made me cringe. Everyone knew they were on camera and they were totally acting up for it (I.e. grabbing two champagne bottles and pretending to drink from both of them at the same time, flexing their muscles, etc.). Ugh.

Anyway, here is hoping for a better World Series. Royals, yeah I'll predict they are in, and Mets are evenly matched up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Mattingly and the dodgers agree to part ways

Apparently he turned down an extension over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    At the very least we won't have to watch TBS's coverage anymore

Yeah instead we have to put up with Harold Reynolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Mattingly and the dodgers agree to part ways

Apparently he turned down an extension over the weekend
    I feel sorry for Mattingly, he had to turn down the offer because it was another one year deal. Not his fault the front office made a mess of their trades. He'll probably land at the Marlins but I wouldn't rule out the Nats either.

I don't mind himself. Small example, he got it straight away when Russell Martin's throw back to the pitcher hit Choo's bat. Now I'm no baseball expert, so maybe any colour analyst would have got it, but I did value him clearing up the massive confusion I was under at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I don't know about anyone else but I listen to music when I watch any sport. I don't need commentary.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I listen to music when I watch any sport. I don't need commentary.

I do the same for football, GAA, rugby etc. but I like the commentary on baseball and NFL, probably because I always pick up some info I wasn't aware of or something that helps me understand the games better. Plus, I like the guys the Mets have doing their games.

I do the same for football, GAA, rugby etc. but I like the commentary on baseball and NFL, probably because I always pick up some info I wasn't aware of or something that helps me understand the games better. Plus, I like the guys the Mets have doing their games.

Mets, Baltimore & San Fran have top class broadcasters, plus the Dodgers with Vin Scully of course. Red Sox minus Don Orsillo won't be the same.

Plus, I like the guys the Mets have doing their games.

You're lucky then. The Jays duo is awful. I do enjoy their radio team though.

Are they homers? They're the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Really? I like Pat Tabler and Martinez is OK. Certainly an upgrade over Jamie Campbell. Not sure what Rod Black is at these days, he used to do the games when they were on TSN and is good.

Can't believe Orsillo is gone, he was class. I like Michael Kay too. Always enjoyed the Mariners guys as well (think they used to switch half way through the games?!). Texas guys and those insufferable White Sox guys are bottom of the barrel.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Really? I like Pat Tabler and Martinez is OK. Certainly an upgrade over Jamie Campbell. Not sure what Rod Black is at these days, he used to do the games when they were on TSN and is good.

Can't believe Orsillo is gone, he was class. I like Michael Kay too. Always enjoyed the Mariners guys as well (think they used to switch half way through the games?!). Texas guys and those insufferable White Sox guys are bottom of the barrel.

The play by play commentators for the Mariners switch between TV and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah. Strange thing to do. May not be the same guys as the early 2000's when I got to watch lots of baseball. Life getting in the way now :mad:

zuutroy wrote:
    Really? I like Pat Tabler and Martinez is OK. Certainly an upgrade over Jamie Campbell.

That's a pretty low bar. Pat loves players that are "big and strong" and Buck's favourite line is - "he's a ball player."

Dumb and Dumber. Just awful imo but each to their own.

I do like Jerry Howarth on TheFan though.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ah. Strange thing to do. May not be the same guys as the early 2000's when I got to watch lots of baseball. Life getting in the way now :mad:

Dave Niehaus was on the radio until he passed away in 2010.

The Giants broadcasters often do the same thing. Maybe a West Coast thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

No, definitely not! A future dh or first baseman probably.

He's quite a brilliant catcher in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I'm the same. Having not grown up with American sports, unlike football, GAA etc I feel like the even the most generic and derided pundits teach me something!
    I wonder do Americans feel the same about Hargreaves-Owen-Rio!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone up watching tonight??

Prediction???

Pity for the Blue Jays but winning the last two games in Kansas was always going to be a big ask. The rain delay didn't really do them any favours, wonder if the result might have been different had the delay not occurred.

Disappointed for Toronto, one of the easier teams to root for in the league. It was going to be a tough match up for the Mets either way so I don't think facing one or the other was going to make too much of a difference.

Interesting that the Mets and Royals open their schedules next season against each other so I think that's the Opening Night game sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can't wait. Easier matchup than the Blue Jays would've been. Mets in 5.

LGM!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I worry for the Mets. KC look awfully good.

No complaints from me. KC were just too good. Jays had a great season. Roll on next year! :)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I worry for the Mets.

Welcome to my world. I'm always worrying for them!

• Advertisement

No complaints from me. KC were just too good. Jays had a great season. Roll on next year! :)

A great season indeed and good to see the GM making moves to put them in a position to succeed. Can't ask for more than that.

Advertisement