Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Bambi wrote: »
    That image is what I meant by unvelcroed :o

I try rest it on my cheekbones too..the guide on reddit said wear like ski goggles..which apparently are worn on the cheek bones
    cool, I'm looking forward to trying it. Hopefully HTC will come up with a better headstrap system that you can replace. The Oculus one is much simpler so it is easier to revert it back to the way you like it after you have adjusted it for friends. I must give DCS a try, Elite Dangerous was a big dissapointment but apparently it's due to an anti-aliasing bug

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm hope they come up with some virtual shoes soon, I'm constantly trying to kick something, surprised they forgot about it and just went with hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm hope they come up with some virtual shoes soon, I'm constantly trying to kick something, surprised they forgot about it and just went with hands.

yeah..that gamn dog fetching things..I keep trying to kick them for him to chase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

For the lads that already have their Vive.

What would be the game/experience you recommend playing first?

I already have the Steam VR bundle that came with it.

Any other game/experience recommendations?

Brookhaven experiment
    Holopoint
    Vanishing Realms
    Hot dogs horseshoes and handgrenades...bit pricey for what it is but I really like it

Seated: Apollo 11
    DCS world if you have a joystick/hotas

• Advertisement

Space pirate trainer
    Audio shield
    Final approach (trailers don't do it justice)

Free stuff:
    Budget cuts demo
    Wevr showcase (include the whale experience)
    Irrational exuberance

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

Anybody around Cork up for demoing a vive if they have one? I've owned a DK1 and DK2 and enjoyed them despite their flaws. I'm torn about getting the vive given its price tag...

JakHicks wrote: »
    I've owned a DK1 and DK2 and enjoyed them despite their flaws. I'm torn about getting the vive given its price tag...

I had a dk2 for a year and a now have a vive, the jump from the dk2 to the Vive hasn't been that big, yes you've room scale but all the best games at the moment are seated(depending on what your into), i'm getting kind of bored with room scale due to the quality of the games at the moment and the graphics jump from the dk2 hasn't been enough to wow me any more than the dk2 did.
    Now that i've tried most of the room scale games I want to set back up my pc in the office and use it for sims and I think that's where the oculus comes in, it looks a lot more lighter and comfortable for a seated experience.

Saying all that if I had to choose between the oculus and vive again I'd buy the vive. The oculus isn't a finished product and there's too many what if's about room scale and motion controllers for it, the vive has all this already and it works very well.

Right now I think there the same price when you factor in the motion controllers and extra camera that you will end up buying for the oculus if it ever comes out and still not have as complete an experience.

Would I pay 600 euro to upgrade my dk2 to a Vive after spending a week or so with the vive, no. The content just isn't there yet any my favourite games still work in the dk2.

If your going to buy now, buy the vive.

I'd like to see what the competition looks like in December, seriously thinking of jumping the VR ship for the summer and maybe look at buying again in October/November. Could be a Sony headset i'm buying then, who knows.

I had a dk2 for a year and a now have a vive, the jump from the dk2 to the Vive hasn't been that big, yes you've room scale but all the best games at the moment are seated(depending on what your into), i'm getting kind of bored with room scale due to the quality of the games at the moment and the graphics jump from the dk2 hasn't been enough to wow me any more than the dk2 did.
    Now that i've tried most of the room scale games I want to set back up my pc in the office and use it for sims and I think that's where the oculus comes in, it looks a lot more lighter and comfortable for a seated experience.

That's not my experience at all but then again I don't play sims so I do understand where you are coming from as there are not many sims supported by the Vive yet. I also had a DK2 but that was seated only as well so for me there is no comparison with the Vive. I have to disagree about the resolution too but perhaps that is something that is more apparent in sims.

Here's a different perspective; I've been a daily FPS player (BF, Arma, L4D etc) for about 10 years and in the past month I havent touched a regular flatgame (my longest break by far). I have been playing room scale games every evening and am really enjoying the variety of Vive games out there and the health benefits too. Some games I havent even got round to playing yet because I am hooked on other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Just got mine today and I was loving it but started to get light headed but after a rest I was fine again.
    Very impressed with this but where it is set up it is in my bedroom so the bed takes up all the footage so I have to go with the standing only options
    Had to stop as the controllers ran out of power and are on charge now, what is the average charge time and usage for them?
    As great as the room stuff is, what are the good sitting down games to play that aren't car related? (ETS2 excluded)
    Was having system restarts during the initial room setup but an AMD driver update sorted it

• Advertisement

Yeah I get ya. It's like any piece of hardware, buy it when you want it. There's always something new and better around the corner. But that's around the corner, and you want it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I'd like to see what the competition looks like in December, seriously thinking of jumping the VR ship for the summer and maybe look at buying again in October/November. Could be a Sony headset i'm buying then, who knows.

Are you looking to sell? It's summer now :) I may be interested if so.

Nedved85 wrote: »

I'm going to give it a few more days but will probably move it on then, I just know i'm not going to have time over the summer to get value out of it. I'll buy again once winter arrives.

I'm going to give it a few more days but will probably move it on then, I just know i'm not going to have time over the summer to get value out of it. I'll buy again once winter arrives.

I couldn't resist, Next winter it is :p

KOBqfIe.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Nedved85 wrote: »

Cool sure let me know if you are selling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oculus' latest fuck you* to their customers has me on the verge of cancelling. The Vive order page just says Shipping in June - what are delivery times like for Ireland?

(*They previously waived shipping fees as an apology for delays, and have now announced that all shipping has been downgraded from expedited to basic. They're acting like such a crowd of shysters)

Zillah wrote: »

(*They previously waived shipping fees as an apology for delays, and have now announced that all shipping has been downgraded from expedited to basic. They're acting like such a crowd of shysters)

that palmer fella is some bawbag

Once my vive sent for shipping it arrived tout suite, that's what that pricey shipping charge does

that palmer fella is some bawbag

Once my vive sent for shipping it arrived tout suite, that's what that pricey shipping charge does

How long did you have between order and arriving?

I was in the first wave of pre-orders so i'm probably a bad example, best bet is check reddit for the current state of play with waiting examples

I was in the first wave of pre-orders so i'm probably a bad example, best bet is check reddit for the current state of play with waiting examples

I'm so bitter that I ordered a Rift day 1 in January and I'm left sitting here wondering if I order a Vive now that I might get it sooner. I also think Touch might be slightly better than the Vive controllers but I just can't trust Oculus that they're even going to be out this year. They never learn their lesson.

• Advertisement

I'm so bitter that I ordered a Rift day 1 in January and I'm left sitting here wondering if I order a Vive now that I might get it sooner. I also think Touch might be slightly better than the Vive controllers but I just can't trust Oculus that they're even going to be out this year. They never learn their lesson.
    I was uncertain of the Vive controllers until I unboxed them and held them. They are awesome.

They just look odd but they are so nice to hold.

I think in theory the touch controllers look like a better design idea but i don't trust oculus to deliver.

This is trotted out the whole time, touch might be better than the Vive controllers, there's nothing wrong with the Vive controllers they work very well and give good feedback.
    Try the bow and arrow game in the Vive if you can, it's a good example of how they work, I don't see how oculus can improve signifinty or at all on them. As for room scale it's technically possible with the Rift, is it practical or going to be supported, not in the short term according to oculus.

The Vive is the better device and will probably cost less than a full oculus kit out when they eventually get their ducks in a row.

I'd hold onto the oculus pre-order and buy the Vive, you can easily sell either one of them but you'll probably have the Vive first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I ordered on the 6th April and it arrived yesterday with delivery 2 days after getting the email to say it was on its way

Skerries wrote: »
    I ordered on the 6th April and it arrived yesterday with delivery 2 days after getting the email to say it was on its way

Assuming the same timeline, I would still get it 4 weeks before Oculus claim I would get my Rift :/

Very close to pulling the trigger.

EDIT: Officially part of the Vive family. Suddenly excited about proper room scale rather than half-assed room scale. I think if Valkyrie had been a proper single player game like Freespace 2 the exclusive bullshoite might have swayed me, but as it turns out that it is an online arena only I'm no longer excited about it. Roll on Vive.

Skerries wrote: »

Ah that's way quicker than I thought it would be!! It's getting more and more tempting :-|

I think I'll miss having awesome built-in headphones, and by all accounts a properly fitted Rift is much lighter and more comfortable - but what's that compared to having hand controllers straight away and far less obvious light flare?

I saw this this morning which was also part of what sealed the deal:
    http://i.imgur.com/KNAEdUn.gifv

Poster on Reddit says this is a very accurate depiction of what the Rift's god-rays are like, and worse because they move around as your turn your head. I think I'm the kind of person that would be driven nuts by it - I can't stand a smudge on sunglasses or a monitor.

I think I'll miss having awesome built-in headphones, and by all accounts a properly fitted Rift is much lighter and more comfortable - but what's that compared to having hand controllers straight away and far less obvious light flare?

I saw this this morning which was also part of what sealed the deal:
    http://i.imgur.com/KNAEdUn.gifv

Poster on Reddit says this is a very accurate depiction of what the Rift's god-rays are like, and worse because they move around as your turn your head. I think I'm the kind of person that would be driven nuts by it - I can't stand a smudge on sunglasses or a monitor.

Built in headphones... yikes..

I am using a great headset with my Vive and the immersion you get from having great sound is class.

It sounds like you are holding out for all the IF's and Maybes ;)

Built in headphones... yikes..

They have been reviewed consistently as being of exceptional quality. Holding prejudice against the idea of built-in headphones doesn't make sense given that they are apparently right up there in quality compared to high-end separate offerings. Vive reviews have frequently commented on having to wear separate heavy headphones being a small irritation.

They're also apparently quite beneficial for developers because they can guarantee the sort of experience the end-user will have because they know exactly what device they will be using, whereas the array of headsets that Vive users might be using makes it much harder to plan for their experience.
    It sounds like you are holding out for all the IF's and Maybes ;)

It sounds like I said several posts ago that I've cancelled by Rift and ordered a Vive. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge what the Rift does have going for it; excellent quality built-in headphones being one thing. I'm not a fanboi for either, I can appreciate where they each have strengths and weaknesses.

• Advertisement

They have been reviewed consistently as being of exceptional quality. Holding prejudice against the idea of built-in headphones doesn't make sense given that they are apparently right up there in quality compared to high-end separate offerings. Vive reviews have frequently commented on having to wear separate heavy headphones being a small irritation.

They're also apparently quite beneficial for developers because they can guarantee the sort of experience the end-user will have because they know exactly what device they will be using, whereas the array of headsets that Vive users might be using makes it much harder to plan for their experience.

It sounds like I said several posts ago that I've cancelled by Rift and ordered a Vive. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge what the Rift does have going for it; excellent quality built-in headphones being one thing. I'm not a fanboi for either, I can appreciate where they each have strengths and weaknesses.
    Wouldn't you rather enhance your experience with a better headset. In-built just doesn't suit everyone also (comfort wise)

You cant expect in built headphones to compete with far superior headsets. They can only afford to put so much into the box.

Advertisement