Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Anyone use Tilt brush yet?

It's very impressive. It's a shame I am useless at any kind of art but it's still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone use Tilt brush yet?

It's very impressive. It's a shame I am useless at any kind of art but it's still great.

Yeah it's awsome, you can spend ages in it but they need to give us a better range of brushes

I keep wanting to have the ability to create blocks and stuff so you could build things

Hot Dog's Horse shoes & Hand grenades. So much fun.

About to aim downrange and fire when I think what does the touch pad do.... Sure enough I press and the mag falls from the gun :o

How the hell do you place a gun on the table. Once I pick a gun up I cant place it down. I am sure there is a button for it some where :)

What would people recommend doing in the game. I know there is load of different ranges to try.

Hot Dog's Horse shoes & Hand grenades. So much fun.

About to aim downrange and fire when I think what does the touch pad do.... Sure enough I press and the mag falls from the gun :o

How the hell do you place a gun on the table. Once I pick a gun up I cant place it down. I am sure there is a button for it some where :)

What would people recommend doing in the game. I know there is load of different ranges to try.

I spend more time in this than anything else..it is awesome. Half the fun is figuring out how the various weapons work. These mechanics in a game like SWAT 4 or Rainbow 6 are going to be something else

Squeezing the side grips release the gun from your hand so you can drop it

Or you can place it on the store points on your body, they show up as translucent spheres when you move an item over them

Place a clip or round in one of the spheres and then press the haptic pad, the sphere turns a blue tint which means you can now pull as many of the clips/rounds from there as you want. This is invaluable

Pulling the mag on the MP5 is a bit fiddly until you master it, then its badass

My favourites
    The indoor gun range
    Arizona Dueling...dem targets
    The breaching environment..awesome but save it until you're familiar with the controls and weapons because the targets don't spawn in different places so once you've run through once you'll know where they are

The skeetball is fun
    the warehouse is good for blowing **** up and putting a lot of practice in
    The arcade I don't like
    The timed area is okayish

just watch your ceiling if you're throwing stuff overhand :eek:

Bambi wrote: »
    I spend more time in this than anything else..it is awesome. Half the fun is figuring out how the various weapons work. These mechanics in a game like SWAT 4 or Rainbow 6 are going to be something else

Or you can place it on the store points on your body, they show up as translucent spheres when you move an item over them

Place a clip or round in one of the spheres and then press the haptic pad, the sphere turns a blue tint which means you can now pull as many of the clips/rounds from there as you want. This is invaluable

My favourites
    The indoor gun range
    The breaching environment..awesome but save it until you're familiar with the controls and weapons because the targets don't spawn in different places so once you've run through once you'll know where they are

The skeetball is fun
    The arcade I don't like

Nice one. Thanks a lot. Cant wait to get back on and try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Argh! my Vive has been packed away for the past few days as I prepare for a house move. On the plus side, my new room will be big enough for room scale! Someone else reccomended that Hotdogs Hand...(H3VR for short) to me but I thought it looked a bit boring. It sounds like another case of what looks dull in 2D is compelling in VR....so I'll have to give it a go now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

After a few days:

I think as a long time gamer I am actually less impressed than most people would be. The Blu was a bit meh; it's pretty and all but I didn't get much of a wow factor.

Overall I think it's an awesome piece of tech but it didn't make me giggling at how amazing it is or anything. It is way heavier and more uncomfortable than I expected. This is mitigated a bit if you're very careful fitting it properly but it's a pain to get right and doesn't really stay in place very well either. Putting the top strap below the cables makes it bloody impossible to adjust. Trying to stop it from tilting forward but also stopping it from slipping up at the back of your head is a constant struggle. Some people talk about using it for virtual desktop or movies - no way in hell am I going to sit there with this thing on my face if the application in question works properly on a 2D screen.

As for the good: I am completely blown away by how good Budget Cuts is. It's only a bloody demo and I can say it's one of the most enjoyable games I've ever tried. I was so engrossed that it didn't matter if it was uncomfortable or heavy, I was just in the gameplay so much. It also just looks much sharper than most games, somehow - I didn't care about the sweet spot or positioning too much. Must be some aspect of different types of graphics working better on the relatively low res than anything else. They say it's only a pre-alpha, and obviously it's very short, but it's ridiculously slick and enjoyable. Teleporting to a door and then physically leaning around the corner is amazing. I am so god damned excited for what the full game is going to be like.

Hover Junkers is kind of cool but there doesn't seem to be anything telling you how the game works. You really get thrown in the deep end - I still don't really understand it all. I was in a Free For All game, but there was one ship that had two people in it that was just ruining everyone else, and when I asked why they had two people working together in a FFA, when everyone else just had one, he just said "You joined a game where that is allowed". Ok?

Apollo 11 is underwhelming - which surprised me. It might be partially because I'm still playing on my GTX 770 so maybe it had to reduce the quality too much (Earth and the moon looked kind of crappy - it didn't feel like there was a huge sense of scale or anything).

As for the 770: it's doing an amazing job. Only thing I've tried so far that I had to give up on was The Lab - which is a shame, but the framerate was dropping and flickering so I couldn't do it.

Tilt Brush is kind of cool but I don't really feel like spending more than a few minutes in there fucking around. I might try and set myself a proper project.

Anyone have recommendations for games with proper involved gameplay like Budget Cuts? Seems like there are a lot of demos and arenas and wave games, very little by way of proper games - which I knew to expect with the Vive being so young but I really want more of that.

Argh! my Vive has been packed away for the past few days as I prepare for a house move. On the plus side, my new room will be big enough for room scale! Someone else reccomended that Hotdogs Hand...(H3VR for short) to me but I thought it looked a bit boring. It sounds like another case of what looks dull in 2D is compelling in VR....so I'll have to give it a go now :)

I love it, it's shows how giving someone a compelling mechanic and updating often can keep you occupied, I've put more time into this than every other VR game I have put together. :o

Vanishing realms is great too but you need more space than I have to really get into it

Oh, I have had budget cuts downloaded for a few days. I must give a go.

Zillah wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for games with proper involved gameplay like Budget Cuts? Seems like there are a lot of demos and arenas and wave games, very little by way of proper games - which I knew to expect with the Vive being so young but I really want more of that.

Try the smaller foam and pull the cable up to give it some slack when you put on, the tighter it is the better for the straps

Wind lands is good if you don't suffer from VR seasickness, the interface is bloody awful though

Vanishing realms and Final Approach are the closest thing to full games, I don't care much for Final approach because it makes you look down constantly but it's environments are wonderful.

Job Simulator is great for VR immersion but you'll play through it fast.

Holopoint is arcadey but it's great, you will sweat.

Spell Fighter is very interesting but when I played it there were just too many bad design decisions.

• Advertisement

I had to readjust the straps yesterday because I had a friend using it before hand.

I use the Steam VR's home background as my adjustment helper yoke :D

When I look up at the Earth it should be well in focus. If not it usually means the headset is sitting too low on my face and I need to tighten the straps. I then remove the headset and tighten the straps a bit more.

Whats handy now is I know exactly where the straps should be for me so no more messing around with it after someone else has used it. It was the first time I actually fitted it properly.

I'm surprised Apollo 11 is unimpressive, I thought the start of it was deeply emotional, good old JFK doing his speech "Wee chwoose to go to da Mooon, not becwase it is easah but because it is hawwd" then being driven towards the launcher and getting a sense of the scale of the thing.

I lost interest once we started having to steer around though

Universal sandbox2 gets pretty cathartic too, not sure about how much replay factor there is in it but I lay on my back for about 10 minutes and watched two solar systems collide around me.

I didn't get much out of The Apollo 11 experience either but my non gaming friends loved it. It's great for older people too if you do the non interactive version

I adore that Kennedy speech and have watched it on Youtube a bunch of times so I imagine that's probably part of why it didn't have much of an impact on me.

My favourites
    The indoor gun range

The skeetball is fun
    The arcade I don't like

I didn't know I could dual weld.... thats awesome!

Its quite an experience, all the different guns. Hats off to the developer.

The ammo clip advice really made a huge difference, thanks. I really enjoyed the indoor shooting range with the target shooting and setting up the target and sending is back so many feet using the control panel.

After a few days:

I think as a long time gamer I am actually less impressed than most people would be. The Blu was a bit meh; it's pretty and all but I didn't get much of a wow factor.

As for the 770: it's doing an amazing job. Only thing I've tried so far that I had to give up on was The Lab - which is a shame, but the framerate was dropping and flickering so I couldn't do it.

Yeah The Blu is a non interactive experience, the Whale one is actually free if you get it through WeVR Transport. It's a pity about the Lab, some really good games in that and I fear if you can't run that then you'll really struggle in others. Enable the "Perf Heuristic Active" and "Show in headset" tickboxes under Performance in SteamVR settings to see if you are dropping frames. I suspect you are not getting a good impression with that graphics card but I'm sure you were expecting that anyway, you'll have a much better experience when you get a card that's in spec. AMD and Nvidia have some good VR tuned cards arriving soon that shouldnt be crazy expensive. If you can, try and wait for the AMD cards but I wouldnt blame you if you pounced on a 1070 or 1080 when they come out.

As for the straps, I'm surprised that it's sliding around. I've demoed mine to people with really small heads so i don't know what's going on there. Try the narrow face foam and it's reccomended to balance the face foam on top of your cheekbones rather than covering your cheekbones.

For involved gameplay, I really like Final Approach but I'm not sure it will run on your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hey guys, I'm just about to order the vive, I presume it is sent via courier?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm just about to order the vive, I presume it is sent via courier?

DHL from what I remember

DHL from what I remember

Cheers, just bit the bullet there :)

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Cheers, just bit the bullet there :)
    Welcome to the club!

• Advertisement

I'd like some multiplayer VR table tennis :D

I don't know why. I just thought today it would be a good idea.

I'd be skeptical how long Revive will be able to keep that up for. Oculus are eventually just going to come out with blatant DRM on their portal and start banning anyone who circumvents it. Facebuke aren't going to care about the idea that PC games are supposed to be hardware agnostic

I'm not even sure what games are worth playing on it that you can't get on SteamVR. Anyone know?

I'd be skeptical how long Revive will be able to keep that up for. Oculus are eventually just going to come out with blatant DRM on their portal and start banning anyone who circumvents it. Facebuke aren't going to care about the idea that PC games are supposed to be hardware agnostic
    I'd say its going to be a very short term thing. It's not something I'd even use but I like what it stands for. It also puts a PR spotlight on the creators of Rift for being such a closed system.

Anyone tried Hordez? It's a bit like a more L4D paced version of the brookhaven experiment, just bought it, not sure how much is depth it has but it's good as a shooter. It cycles you through environments fairly fast.

I'm not even sure what games are worth playing on it that you can't get on SteamVR. Anyone know?

Dunno, I'm not installing facebuke on me PC to find out.

Luckys tale, Eve and Cronos were the big exclusives

Really can't wait to try out Project Cars on the Vive now - The bro has just picked up a Logitech G920!

If you can, try and wait for the AMD cards but I wouldnt blame you if you pounced on a 1070 or 1080 when they come out.

Oh I'm going Pascal Day 1. It's the only reason I haven't picked up a 970 already.

Really? I'd expect the opposite. Oculus are on the losing side of that race. It took Revive, what, two days, to get around their latest DRM? Life PC gamers find a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Really? I'd expect the opposite. Oculus are on the losing side of that race. It took Revive, what, two days, to get around their latest DRM? Life PC gamers find a way.

Is revive working again - good news if it is.

About the above post on Eve, that's coming to Vive pretty soon from what I've heard. I expect Cronos will follow shortly after.

Advertisement