Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah just reading about it on Reddit

especially if this is true

Oculus Rift: 960x1080p x2, at 75Hz.
    HTC/Valve VR:1200x1080p x2, at 90HZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah just reading about it on Reddit

especially if this is true

Oculus Rift: 960x1080p x2, at 75Hz.
    HTC/Valve VR:1200x1080p x2, at 90HZ.

Does look good, but valve have promised greatness in the past and hasn't worked out that well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I would imagine this should make it to production relatively quickly too compared to the rift.

Either way multiple VR options is good for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Very interesting but I think oculus still have the lead and may announce something this week too. It's interesting that the marketing for Vive is leaning towards a standing rather than the seated experience that Oculus have been focusing on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does look good, but valve have promised greatness in the past and hasn't worked out that well....
    It looks like their controller is being adapted to work with this headset and if it takes off they could find the market for all their tech.
    It's interesting that the marketing for Vive is leaning towards a standing rather than the seated experience that Oculus have been focusing on so far.
    Yeah, they seem to be promoting a room experience. They seem to have a more elaborate motion tracking system which can maybe factor in the size of your room and where the obstacles are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's good news for consumers anyways, more VR choice will drive innovation and lower prices.

sofDXIN.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looking forward to more information being revealed at GDC, especially a time-frame for its release.

Looking forward to more information being revealed at GDC, especially a time-frame for its release.

Dev kits within the next 3 months and they are aiming for Christmas this year for a full release.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's an exceptionally ugly looking piece of kit but why the hell are the inputs on the top of it? Does'nt make sense

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/htc-vive-developer-edition/

I don't care give me a VR tool for il2: cliffs of dover and I die happy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

All those dents and bumps look like tracker related stuff - wonder if there's gonna be some sort of complimentary sensor device?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Let's see how much it is first, oculus lost a lot of support after facebook acquired them.. So valve being valve can throw anything out and win support, the specs sound good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

gazzamc wrote: »
    Let's see how much it is first, oculus lost a lot of support after facebook acquired them.. So valve being valve can throw anything out and win support, the specs sound good though.

facebook basically killed my interest in Oculus stone dead. I'm looking forward to this and Sony's Project Morpheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

facebook basically killed my interest in Oculus stone dead. I'm looking forward to this and Sony's Project Morpheus.

Same for myself, I was about to buy a dev kit until they bought it.. I don't want anything to do with it now, I can see them making it casual, or adding FB support or some stupid ****.

Shiminay wrote: »
    All those dents and bumps look like tracker related stuff - wonder if there's gonna be some sort of complimentary sensor device?
    There's a valve base station for sensing whole body movement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will it work with existing Rift compatible games is what i'd like to know. If we need a whole new wave of games, it might struggle to take off over the Rift with it's current catalogue.

Any word on specs for running this? I'm going to guess that two (three?) screens at 90hz is going to require a goodly amount of hamsters and wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

razer have theirs on the way aswell
    http://www.osvr.com/

It's like real life TF2 where we have to collect all the VR hats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sweet can't wait to hook this up to my Steam box and play Half Life 3..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Bambi wrote: »
    Any word on specs for running this? I'm going to guess that two (three?) screens at 90hz is going to require a goodly amount of hamsters and wheels

No but some sort of dual GPU setup would probabaly be required for top-end settings. Valve said that they get almost double the performance using AMD's new dual GPU liquid VR setup which is good considering that normal SLI/crossfire only gets you up to 1.5 times the performance in a standard game. Normal SLI also adds input lag into VR games as there is a slight delay when trying to keep the two GPUs in sync which some people are not bothered by but many others have complained about it.

Perhaps AMD or Nvidia will release a budget (ish), dual GPU card optimised for VR?

There's a talk here explaining other tricks that Valve are using to increase performance:
    http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-talks-advanced-vr-rendering-live-blog-5pm-pst/

Good interview with the developer, it's based on lasers and has accuracy to within fractions of a millimetre. They say you can walk around and as you get close to real world objects they'll start to appear in game so you can avoid them.

It's a completely different way of doing it from oculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Htc teased us with half life and then went back on it.... I hope they rot in hell

A bit off topic, I dont get any selling point for a steam machine now that they have the link box (or a super long HDMI cable I guess)

hands on with the controller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Bambi wrote: »
    A bit off topic, I dont get any selling point for a steam machine now that they have the link box (or a super long HDMI cable I guess)
    Folk moving to PC gaming, possibly for the first time, who may have a laptop for general productivity and neither the space for a full desktop in their living room nor an inclination to own a more powerful rig elsewhere in their home.

Alternatively, people with poor home networks, PCs that are too far away from their TV in general and for folk whom 1080p60 streaming isn't good enough.

I really like the Valve way of doing it. It looks like a simple way of solving a lot of latency issues. I think I'm leaning more towards the HTC headset, although I get the feeling it's going to be much more expensive so I'll have to wait and see if it's even affordable. Right now I can't really decide how much I'm willing to spend above €500 on a good VR headset. I'm probably going to have to buy a new card along with the headset and I'm not long after upgrading to a GTX 770 and I don't know that a second one would be sufficient.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I really like the Valve way of doing it. It looks like a simple way of solving a lot of latency issues. I think I'm leaning more towards the HTC headset, although I get the feeling it's going to be much more expensive so I'll have to wait and see if it's even affordable. Right now I can't really decide how much I'm willing to spend above €500 on a good VR headset. I'm probably going to have to buy a new card along with the headset and I'm not long after upgrading to a GTX 770 and I don't know that a second one would be sufficient.

Apparently valve were demoing with a GTX 980 and saying that people should by no means think that it was only an entry level card for their VR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Htc :

Half life

Three

Confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I think Valve's lighthouse system make VR arcades more appealing. Not everyone is gonna have the money or space required for some these setups, but its something I simply must have/try :)

Advertisement