Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you're a gamer and have started exercising more for the new year then you might as well stop now and wait for this:

Just a few minutes of this and you'll be buff as hell without having to leave the house :D

Joking aside, this is the first proper resistance trainer for VR that I've seen:
    https://www.vrfitnessinsider.com/black-box-vr-ces-2018-innovation-awards-honoree/

That sort of ad is your guarantee that it will be horse**** like every other fitness scam
    The thrill of the fight is where its at for VR sweating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Bambi wrote: »
    That sort of ad is your guarantee that it will be horse**** like every other fitness scam
    The thrill of the fight is where its at for VR sweating

Indeed, I hope my sarcasm came through in my post :). Their website screams fraud too, especially the before and after image with the slider. I must try thrill of the fight, I'm currently going through my VR backlog though.

HTC announcement at 9pm too, I'm hoping they sell the new headset seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Indeed, I hope my sarcasm came through in my post :). Their website screams fraud too, especially the before and after image with the slider. I must try thrill of the fight, I'm currently going through my VR backlog though.

HTC announcement at 9pm too, I'm hoping they sell the new headset seperately.
    The gist of it is on reddit, pro version( current version will still be sold ),75% more pixels, a wireless adapter coming late 2018, built in audio

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The gist of it is on reddit, pro version( current version will still be sold ),75% more pixels, a wireless adapter coming late 2018, built in audio

Don't think its that many pixies, think its just repackaging their business edition that they brought out last year

Don't think its that many pixies, think its just repackaging their business edition that they brought out last year
    Well I'm just posting the apparent leak, from 1024x1200 per eye to 1440x1400 which actually works out as a just less than 70% increase. This is the same rez as the Samsung odyssey -
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7oxnes/htc_announces_vive_pro_and_vive_wireless_adapters/
    Sounds plausible to me.

• Advertisement

liveblog - https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-ces-2018-press-event-liveblog/

build in dual cameras, nice
    2800x1600 rez

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Wow that’s crazy news! Love the blue color. Although I’ll probably wait a few years for pc hardware to catch up before I upgrade my Rift!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nice to see the resolution increased, but i'd expect a pretty hefty price increase (or at least something similar to the price it was at launch).

HTC will be selling this as an even more premium product so I'm guessing it could be as much as €500 just for the headset. I was about to buy the deluxe audio strap and I have a few small scratches on my lenses so I think I'll try and get this when it comes out....if I can save up in time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Gamespot review of the Pro

they reckon it's more a version 1.5 than 2.0

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/htc-vive-pro-raises-the-bar-for-virtual-reality/2300-6442512/

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    Gamespot review of the Pro

they reckon it's more a version 1.5 than 2.0

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/htc-vive-pro-raises-the-bar-for-virtual-reality/2300-6442512/

Yeah that's true. As for the Intel WiGig wireless add-on, they said that the screen res was noticeably worse but the latency was not noticeable. In another review, they say the opposite so it seems like the tech might have different settings to trade off between latency and image fidelity (but can't do both):

https://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2018-vive-wireless-adapter-hands-on-robust-connection-latency-too/

It will be interesting to see the comparisons between this official wirelss add-on and the third-party TP-Cast

I'll be waiting for customer reviews on both before making a decision on buying, most of the journos nowadays are not reliable at reviewing hardware.

Wait for Norm from Tested to get his hands on it, you can always count on an Asian-American nerd to give an in-depth review that covers every angle! ;)

Doge wrote: »
    Wait for Norm from Tested to get his hands on it, you can always count on an Asian-American nerd to give an in-depth review that covers every angle! ;)

He's part of a duo? I find them hard to watch, Richard Leadbetter is worth reading

He's part of a duo? I find them hard to watch, Richard Leadbetter is worth reading

Sometimes yes, a lot of the time Norm is solo though.

Did a quick Google for "Richard Leadbetter VR" and can't see him contributing even a fraction of what Norm and Jeremy have contributed to VR on the tested channel.
    They're my go to resource for unbiased and in depth reviews, previews and news in the world of VR.

I'd forgive you if you were thinking of Linus tech Tips :D.
    Norm from Tested does the most informed VR hardware reviews (on youtube anyway), their other stuff usually doesn't interest me though. Unfortunately they were not at CES this year so we only got some lightweight reviews of the Vive Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Reckon I will head down the upgrade path and just get the pro headset option for my Vive setup.

Don't really fancy current GPUs at that resolution though, might wait for 1180/2080 and see what the benchmarks say.

Here's tested's preview of the Vive Pro (to keep this thread going)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

HTC president was interviewed and while not giving a price yet he said it is not aimed at the average consumer but instead 'Prosumers' and that its going to be more expensive than the standard Vive. I'm thinkin' $500 for the HMD only upgrade edition in Q1 and back up to $800-$900 for the Pro HMD, V2 Lighthouses and new blue wands which won't be available till Q4. Full Release so late in 2018 is either a very silly move if Oculus are still on track to release CV2 sometime in 2019 which there will likely be confirmed word about by the time Pro Full Kit comes out.....or its a sign that HTC know whats likely possible specs wise in that time frame and know Oculus won't be coming out with anything that would totally blow them out of the water in CV2 in 2019. ie. Do they know that Eyetracking and Foveated Rendering or 90Hz 4K OLEDS won't be ready for primetime before 2020 and thus CV2 can only be an incremental upgrade like the Pro will be and thus they have nothing to fear till CV3. Interesting times ahead.

I think HTC want that tasty Chinese VR arcade market. 2.0 Lighthouses with increased area coverage due this year so they're getting their compatible headset out there for businesses and arcades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think HTC want that tasty Chinese VR arcade market. 2.0 Lighthouses with increased area coverage due this year so they're getting their compatible headset out there for businesses and arcades

Yep, VR arcades are getting huge in China as you say. Ive seen several business news pieces on CNN about the Burgeoning VR arcade industry in China and even a VR Theme Park with a giant Transformer Robot!

Advertisement