Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

How did this go?

It didn't really make a difference for me but it worked for a friend of mine so I guess it depends on your cheekbones or something. I'm pretty good at finding the sweet spot that works for me now so I don't really need it but I'm sure there will be some 3rd party face gaskets.

Speaking of which, have any of you ordered some of the accessories from VRcover? I ordered a fabric vrcover and also have backed their kickstarter for lens covers: https://vr-lens-lab.com/ The prescription lens covers could be real handy (especially since my vive lenses look like they might have been scratched by a glasses wearer recently :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

boogie2988 put up an unboxing and quick review video. Judging by his reactions it looks great.

As for everyone here who already has one of these. I hate you and everything about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sonics2k wrote: »
    boogie2988 put up an unboxing and quick review video. Judging by his reactions it looks great.

As for everyone here who already has one of these. I hate you and everything about you.
    I love everyone's reaction when they press the button and the laser beam shoots.

Sonics2k wrote: »

I know he said "I'm not standing buddy, I'm a sitter, I'm a sitting kind of guy" but I hope he tries to get a bit more mobile now that he has a Vive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gamermuscle did a good like for like comparison of the headsets (ignoring the hand controllers and just focusing on the headsets). I'd been looking for a straight like for like comparison. If the rift was over all the better headset I would have been happy to buy it and put off buying controllers for the future.

Based on that video I think the vive is the one for me. Taking off the face foam is an interesting one. Apparently he thinks it improves the FOV and the rigidity of the mask while it's on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so picked up a few tips there, you get a wider fov without the foam on the Vive and I now have the earbuds fed in from the front and held in by the velcro at the sides so they are dangling right beside my ears now

but there are going to be more and more 3rd party mods for these like this which will improve things like the foam pads

Skerries wrote: »
    so picked up a few tips there, you get a wider fov without the foam on the Vive and I now have the earbuds fed in from the front and held in by the velcro at the sides so they are dangling right beside my ears now

but there are going to be more and more 3rd party mods for these like this which will improve things like the foam pads

There was another foam piece that came in the box that is more thin than the foam that came with the Vive. Have you tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I never thought I'd be so excited to see 974 euro leave my account! What's the timeline usually like from here - I am imagining early June?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

I just ordered mine an hour ago as well. From this reddit thread it looks like people who ordered in the last week or two are getting them within two weeks. They could just have gotten lucky that the stock became available just as they ordered... But I'm hopeful of getting it late this month or early June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

JakHicks wrote: »
    I just ordered mine an hour ago as well. From this reddit thread it looks like people who ordered in the last week or two are getting them within two weeks. They could just have gotten lucky that the stock became available just as they ordered... But I'm hopeful of getting it late this month or early June :)

They're definitely doing them in waves. I ordered on the sixth, got charged this weekend. There's a guy in the UK saying he got charged this weekend, even though he ordered April 16th, so it would seem he has no advantage over me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

You boys are in for a treat. I've had mine over a month and still not bored at all. It's amazing.
    I sort of feel sorry for people who chose the Oculus because after using Vive, the Oculus just isn't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just got a mini bonus from work, about 200 after tax, time to buy the vive?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

AndyOHart wrote: »
    I sort of feel sorry for people who chose the Oculus because after using Vive, the Oculus just isn't as good.
    dontmentionthewarserveimage.jpg

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Just got a mini bonus from work, about 200 after tax, time to buy the vive?! :)

Do you have a decent amount of space?
    Are you happy with experiences rather than full on fully fledged games?
    Does VR blow your mind?

I'm loving it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I can move my pc setup into another room, would probably have the size of 3m x 4m available to me, not exactly a huge space, but it should do? I understand that most games are tech demos at present, with the exception of Project Cars which in my mind looks amazing in VR, I think I may even buy w wheel again if I got the vive, decisions decisions!! Its my birthday soon, I think i need to get myself a present!

OSI wrote: »
    Housemate brought home his Vive last night and set it up in the kitchen for a test as it's the largest open area in the house with a good 10 ft by 8ft of open floor, even in that space it felt like it needed more space in the game I tried. I was seriously impressed with just how immersive it was though. It's an incredibly natural and fluid experience and took no time at all to adjust to.

It's a shame though that his seems to have shipped with a wand that was DOA. In the tutorial, looking at the wand you could see the trigger constantly flickering as though you were hammering at it as fast as you could so there seems to be a sticky trigger. Then when he went to charge it, it seemed to be constantly resetting itself with the light going out, the wand beeping and then the light coming back on every 10 seconds or so.

Check for firmware updates, there's one you have to run just out of the box

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I can move my pc setup into another room, would probably have the size of 3m x 4m available to me, not exactly a huge space, but it should do? I understand that most games are tech demos at present, with the exception of Project Cars which in my mind looks amazing in VR, I think I may even buy w wheel again if I got the vive, decisions decisions!! Its my birthday soon, I think i need to get myself a present!

Yeah that's a decent size

measure it out in steps, side to side, top to bottom and diagonal ;)

OSI wrote: »
    Was the first thing he did before he even started playing unfortunately.

You can reset the controller. see the "Controller not connected" section here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8566-SDZC-9326#controllers

I was about to try that myself one day because the trigger acted like it was stuck but in my case it was because I had my racing wheel plugged in and something was leaning on it.

You could also try the steps under "Trackpad Issues".

Other things to try:
    make sure bluetooth and camera options are disabled in Steamvr settings
    try unplugging and re-plugging the power to the link box

anyone tried it with a Leap Motion yet?
    I am thinking of getting their mount so I can hook mine up to it

http://store-eur.leapmotion.com/products/universal-vr-mount-pre-order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

Gonna pull the trigger on a Vive in time for when the GTX 1070 comes out, June 10th seems ages away :(

• Advertisement

anyone tried it with a Leap Motion yet?
    I am thinking of getting their mount so I can hook mine up to it

http://store-eur.leapmotion.com/products/universal-vr-mount-pre-order

I've used it in altspace with the Vive
    pros:
    It looks cool compared to the other people
    cons:
    It's not perfect and your brain knows it
    It gets very hot
    The simulated feedback you get with the Vive controllers is not present so when you lift objects in altspace there is no "weight" to them

I didn't buy the mount because it gets shipped from the US so costs nearly €30 once you fill in all the fields at the checkout.

Also, I plugged mine into the spare USB port on the Vive headset but it just would not recognise it until I power cycled the link box.

Shred wrote: »
    Gonna pull the trigger on a Vive in time for when the GTX 1070 comes out, June 10th seems ages away :(

You'd want to be ordering very soon to have it by June 10th.

A mate of mine in the UK ordered one on May 8th and it shipped on the 19th. He might have been lucky but I heard that they are flying through orders now.

Also, I plugged mine into the spare USB port on the Vive headset but it just would not recognise it until I power cycled the link box.

is the spare usb port enough as I had read that it really needs to be powered by a separate usb 3 cable?
    I was looking on Aliexpress for a 3m usb 3 cable and velcro pads to attach it

Well, to clarify, I'm not expecting to have either by June 10th. The thing is my current card apparently isn't good enough (R9 380, edit: well it's 'capable' of 'medium' VR, so same thing I suppose!) and I was considering grabbing a 970 before the specs/pricing of the new cards were confirmed as I was expecting them to be much more expensive without being as advanced as they've turned out to be.
    So I need the 1070 before the Vive. According to the HTC Vive site ordering now should mean June delivery; so I'll order the GPU as soon as it's possible and then order vive in the hope I'll be good to go by around the 3rd week of June...Something like that anyway.

Well, to clarify, I'm not expecting to have either by June 10th. The thing is my current card apparently isn't good enough (R9 380) and I was considering grabbing a 970 before the specs/pricing of the new cards were confirmed as I was expecting them to be much more expensive without being as advanced as they've turned out to be.
    So I need the 1070 before the Vive. According to the HTC Vive site ordering now should mean June delivery; so I'll order the GPU as soon as it's possible and then order vive in the hope I'll be good to go by around the 3rd week of June...Something like that anyway.

Grand, I hope the 1070 is priced well. The 1080 has popped up on overclockers for €800 which isn't a good sign for the 1070, but we'll see. I plan on upgrading my GTX 970 very shortly. The 970 actually works great with my Vive.

Yeah I saw the OC pre-order price alright. I'm hoping the 1070 will be <500 and early indications are that it should be...

Yeah I saw the OC pre-order price alright. I'm hoping the 1070 will be <500 and early indications are that it should be...
    I'd say thats about right.

I am looking forward to seeing some benchmarks for the 1070.

is the spare usb port enough as I had read that it really needs to be powered by a separate usb 3 cable?
    I was looking on Aliexpress for a 3m usb 3 cable and velcro pads to attach it
    Worked fine for me as a temporary test but overall I wasn't impressed enough to spend more money on it. I used these yokes and I used one of the vive controller usb charge cables because the leap motion cable plug was a bit too thick to fit in beside the other plugs. For a more permanent solution the longer extension cable is better as it is a tight squeeze to use that spare port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

I ordered on Monday, as in the 16th, and got it Friday the 20th :-| I think they fixed their ordering.

Advertisement