Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

How much of a saving is it once import tax is applied.
    ~€240 if I get a mate to bring it home with him....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zulu wrote: »
    ~€240 if I get a mate to bring it home with him....

He better unpack it, cause the box is the size of a bloody suitcase

Bambi wrote: »
    He better unpack it, cause the box is the size of a bloody suitcase
    is it? I was thinking it couldn't be that simple.
    Is the setup heavy?

is it? I was thinking it couldn't be that simple.
    Is the setup heavy?

Heaviest things are probably the controllers and the 68 miles of Cables, it add;s up I suppose

But the box is bloody big..and heavy. Very dense Foam Packing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

Nvidia driver errors are driving me nuts..what drivers is everyone using, PC is freezing a lot since trying to install Vive setup, managed to play a few things but I'm plagued with freezes.

The Brookhaven experiment made me completely forget I was playing a game about 5 minutes in..surreal experience.

Running 361.91 (or 10.18.13.6191)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nvidia driver errors are driving me nuts..what drivers is everyone using, PC is freezing a lot since trying to install Vive setup, managed to play a few things but I'm plagued with freezes.

The Brookhaven experiment made me completely forget I was playing a game about 5 minutes in..surreal experience.
    364.72 and having no problems

Nvidia driver errors are not good, what errors are you getting? What graphics card do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

364.72 and having no problems

Nvidia driver errors are not good, what errors are you getting? What graphics card do you have?

That's the driver I was using with no problems until installing the Vive set up, rolled back to the one Bambi is using was going ok for an hour or so but back to the same again, screen turns off then back on again nvidia driver has stopped working, PC freezes or crashes and needs reboot.
    I've had this before but not in ages. Gaming away with the link for the last few months with no bother.
    PC isn't crashing when just doing normal things just steam VR.
    Gigabyte GTX970 OC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

That's the driver I was using with no problems until installing the Vive set up, rolled back to the one Bambi is using was going ok for an hour or so but back to the same again, screen turns off then back on again nvidia driver has stopped working, PC freezes or crashes and needs reboot.
    I've had this before but not in ages. Gaming away with the link for the last few months with no bother.
    PC isn't crashing when just doing normal things just steam VR.
    Gigabyte GTX970 OC.
    remove any GPU overclock, VR is heavier on the GPU( and cpu ) than normal gaming.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    remove any GPU overclock, VR is heavier on the GPU( and cpu ) than normal gaming.

Yep, revert any overclock that you might have configured yourself. My first guess is that it's either overheating or drawing too much power from your power supply due to the increased workload.

What exact power supply do you have? and do you have any software that can monitor the GPU temperature (GPU-Z or msi afterburner?)

You should definitely try a clean install of the driver first but it sounds like it could be hardware related.

• Advertisement

tbh all I can think of is a problem with load. I havent had any problems with my PC and the vive but I've seen nivdia drivers in work throw up crashes when system resources run low but it usually recovers itself.

Possibly motherboard BIOS isn't happy with the OC under the increased load?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Got my pre-athorization payment email yesterday.

Can anyone who has already received their Vive tell me how long after this email did they recieve it.

Got mine on a Friday, didn't hear a thing until I got my shipping notice the following Friday and it was delivered the Monday after, my guess is you'll have it Friday week.

tbh all I can think of is a problem with load. I havent had any problems with my PC and the vive but I've seen nivdia drivers in work throw up crashes when system resources run low but it usually recovers itself.

Possibly motherboard BIOS isn't happy with the OC under the increased load?

I don't have it over clocked, buts its clocked as standard I think as its the OC edition.
    Struggle turn on the PC this morning had to reboot about 4 times, either nothing appeared on the screen or it was froze when it got to login screen.
    When the monitor was blank I could still hear the Windows ding sound so knew it had loaded but the screen was blank, monitor not reveicing signal.
    Might have to wind back the drivers a bit more, also getting a few blue screen. I when through all this with the DK2 until it eventually behaved.
    I had the processor slightly over clocked, have that wound back to standard now so I'll see does it make any difference, it's the i5 Devils canyon.

The i5 ks have a rep for being rock solid on overclocking so long as they're cooled properly. That's why I'm thinking it may be the motherboard BIOS that's having a problem with performance on an OC'd component

The motherboard is'nt an MSI by any chance?

Is this worth it?

I was always considering the Occulus, but now the Vive seems to be better. I'm saving for a home, but can afford it, I'm just really afraid I'll splash out and be disappointed.

Is this worth it?

I was always considering the Occulus, but now the Vive seems to be better. I'm saving for a home, but can afford it, I'm just really afraid I'll splash out and be disappointed.

It's mind blowing even in comparison to my experiences with the DK1 (which was mind blowing in its own right) but there is a paucity of content right now, it's quite possible you'll see a lot of content become available all at once later this year. I think dev's are still coming to terms with the limitations of room scale in comparison to your traditional computer game environment

I've showed it to people who don't have any interest in computer games and its hooked them in straight away.

Z97 Gaming, the first error was a bios one and up boot up screen has reverted back to original one..

Z97 Gaming, the first error was a bios one and up boot up screen has reverted back to original one..
    It's highly unlikely to be drivers if you are clean installing them and if it is having trouble booting up the first time you switched it on this morning then it's not temperature related either.

I'm still thinking it could be your power supply. What make/model is it?

Also, install a program called bluescreenview if you want to see what those bluescreen were about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Just had a shot of the Vive in the office. Only got to play with some of the Valve Lab demo* but holy crap it's awesome. Not only that but the possibilities for use are even more intriguing, definitely going to consider getting one in the not so distant future.

* I totally didn't play with the robodog for five minutes.

• Advertisement

The i5 ks have a rep for being rock solid on overclocking so long as they're cooled properly. That's why I'm thinking it may be the motherboard BIOS that's having a problem with performance on an OC'd component

Do you have an idea what's wrong with the motherboard?

Nope just a hunch that if the processor or graphics card were overclocked the motherboard BIOS might be having problems. Saw that before

I'd ask the lads over on the building and overclocking forum for advice if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

The Vive will be the most expensive thing I've ever bought. I'll be getting one in November after a nice new Polaris/Zen build.

I was on the fence between The Vive and Oculus, but between the Facebook data collecting on the Oculus and EVE:Valkrie (which was the main tipping point for me), its a no brainer for the Vive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Got my shipment notice. It's here in a few days.

How have people setup the tracking devices. I see they need to go up high.

Got my shipment notice. It's here in a few days.

How have people setup the tracking devices. I see they need to go up high.
    I taped one of mine to the curtain rail

I made a contraption out of a shower rail and vase, taped the other one to that and put it on a shelf

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've mine on light stands, anywhere that sells camera equipment should have them, or you'll pick them up off amazon or eBay cheap, If you are buying them make sure the head can swivel down, the ones on mine are fixed so I can't tilt the lights house down without an adapter. It doesn't seem to make any difference as I can still use the Vive on the floor but the instructions do say it should be tilted down 30 degrees.

You need a big room, 4mtrs by 4mtrs if you can, and get some Nintendo straps for the controllers as they can go flying, I very nearly ended my telly the other night playing holoball.

Bambi have you modded the headset anyway, I'm finding it kinda blurry when I have to bend over and look down in games like fantastic contraption.

Bambi have you modded the headset anyway, I'm finding it kinda blurry when I have to bend over and look down in games like fantastic contraption.

I used to get that, I think the headset is shifting when you look down so tighten it.
    Only thing I did was replace the cushion with the thinner cushion and left the bottom parts unvelcroed, apparently gets you closer to the lens for a better FOV

Finally got around to setting up DCS, its pretty mindblowing flying around in the Dora, though the cockpit feels too small. ( from looking at the little pilot in the model FW-190 on my desk anyway). They cant stop you shifting your head out of the cockpit yet but its a blast to stand up and look down the engine as you go into a dive :D

I found that it can be tricky to find the sweet spot especially if you have been re-adjusting the straps for friends. For me, it's best to have the bottom of the face mask resting on my cheekbones rather than covering my cheekbones. The problem then is that you are a bit more aware of the mask but I saw this method which looks like it might work and will be trying it later:

http://i.imgur.com/xrescgX.png

• Advertisement

I found that it can be tricky to find the sweet spot especially if you have been re-adjusting the straps for friends. For me, it's best to have the bottom of the face mask resting on my cheekbones rather than covering my cheekbones. The problem then is that you are a bit more aware of the mask but I saw this method which looks like it might work and will be trying it later:

http://i.imgur.com/xrescgX.png

That image is what I meant by unvelcroed :o

I try rest it on my cheekbones too..the guide on reddit said wear like ski goggles..which apparently are worn on the cheek bones

Advertisement