Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Skerries wrote: »
    is there a good list of the games and demos to try for the Vive?

Just search Vive, in the search box, showing 113 items at the moment
    http://store.steampowered.com
    You can also play all ordinary games on a giant screen in VR it's called theatre mode, maybe one of the lucky *&*((*& can let us know what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can also play all ordinary games on a giant screen in VR it's called theatre mode, maybe one of the lucky *&*((*& can let us know what it's like?

Why the hell would you play an ordinary game in VR? :D

Was playing with a game called spell caster, it really shows how this stuff could work..your spell menu is basically a book you summon to your hand and then select the spell from a list on the page with the opposite hand

it also tries to do sword fighting and flintlock pistols and it works well enough, the grip pads are pretty good for grasping stuff. I've done a fair bit stick and sword sparring over the years and it's not bad at all given the physics limitations. I'd say you could really smash your controller swinging it around though. The only probably is that relaxing on the grip pads drops the weapon and I could'nt pick them up of the ground (floor tracking bug I guess)

Whats funny is that closing one eye while aiming the pistol works..which makes sense..its two screens after all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bambi wrote: »
    Whats funny is that closing one eye while aiming the pistol works..which makes sense..its two screens after all

This is very noticeable in videos where they've captured one screen, and the guy aims the gun down the non-recording eye, and it looks like he's firing it at some ridiculous angle but makes the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I will once I get some time. I was trying to finish mass effect 1 before I got the vive so I think that will be a good test for it. I still have some VR games that I haven't tried yet though because I've been demoing to friends and also trying to get a better score in space pirate trainer. Can't wait to give elite dangerous a go.

I just enabled the camera yesterday too, it's a really handy feature

Have you a HOTAS set up for Elite Dangerous, used to love Warthunder in the Rift, was using an x55 they've just replaced it now with an x56 built for VR http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x56.html
    I haven't had a good look at the spec yet but hopefully no reason for me to upgrade the x55.

• Advertisement

Have you a HOTAS set up for Elite Dangerous, used to love Warthunder in the Rift, was using an x55 they've just replaced it now with an x56 built for VR http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x56.html
    I haven't had a good look at the spec yet but hopefully no reason for me to upgrade the x55.

I've and X45, X40 and a saitek flight yoke/quadrant/pedals. The one time I played elite dangerous (in non VR) it was a bit too lazers pew pew pew for me

tbh I'd have to configure my sticks for DCS:world or Elite but I'm having too much fun in room scale right now..its on the list.

The interesting thing is that games like il2:COD and DCS have clickable cockpits so there's a real potential for the valve controllers to replace physical HOTAS setups, or at least reduce them to a simple joystick. I can see a few pitfalls too but it would be so much easier to play flight sims if you weren't having to remember bindings etc

Had a look at that X56, looks very nice but the ergonomics look like the old X40, which is an awful feeling stick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You can check what Wave your in by following this, I ordered 7.5hrs after launch and it's saying Ireland part2

Go to this link : https://shop.eu.htc.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayContactFormPage&SiteID=htcemea&Locale=en_IE&ThemeID=39873600&Env=BASE
    Fill your order number only (mandatory) (It's not necessary to put your e-mail)
    Choose "Shipping Question"
    Choose "When will my order arrives ?"
    Submit
    Check your mails. You will receive a mail named *Re: ShippingQuestion - ArrivalDate - *
    If not, check your paypal e-mail and spam/junks folder
    You will have inside this mail the following line : Product name: VIVE Kit - April Shipment Part 1 - {CountryName}

Thanks for that.

As listed on their website on the day I ordered it.
    Product Name: VIVE Kit - May Shipment - Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What's the story with graphics cards for the rest of the year?

Are there any new ones designed with VR in mind on the way? I'd be apprehensive about buying a top end card now if there are new cards on the way.

The GTX 980ti VR Edition

It's a budget friendly €900 comes with USB 3.0 enclosure.

Pascal and icewotsit cards due this year, ID hold off on buying a new one until then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

It's infuriating that they timed these to come out a couple of months after the launch of the commercial VR headsets.

Further reports, if all this achieves is getting gamers literally off their arses it may be worth it, and I dont mean in a crappy jump around waving your arms for 5 minutes until your knackered kinect way

As I've gotten older Ive realised that sitting in an office all day means I shouldn't sit at a desk at home too much and thus I don't play games as much as I used to, but I've just spent the last 2.5 hours standing and moving around in VR.

Audioshield is excellent btw, probably a game that you'd let joe soap have a go at to hook them in

Other observation..a poorly designed game in VR is doomed, the negative reaction is much stronger, you just want out straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The GTX 980ti VR Edition

It's a budget friendly €900 comes with USB 3.0 enclosure.

You're better off with one of the other EVGA 980ti's for performance. The only benefit of that VR edition is a front panel HDMI and USB 3.0 port.

AMD and Nvidia will definitely have more affordable VR capable cards this year so if you can wait then do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pascal and icewotsit cards due this year, ID hold off on buying a new one until then

Will the 980ti's be dropping in price shortly as a result?

do you have to use both base stations or can it be used in a seated position like the Rift with one?

do you have to use both base stations or can it be used in a seated position like the Rift with one?

You have options for room scale or standing/seated, the second option only requires one base station in theory, I've not tried it though

Update from HTC they'll now send you an email before they take money from your credit card so you can let the bank know it's happening.

This auld waiting game is fierce boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Will the 980ti's be dropping in price shortly as a result?
    From the little I've looked into these new pascal cards they're in a different league altogether. Unless they're horribly expensive they make the current batch of cards utterly redundant. That's why I'm apprehensive about buying a 980, even if the price drops considerably after the new cards come out.

Good news on the Vive delivery worldwide, anyone with an April delivery will get it in April, a good week globally for Vive customers by all accounts.

• Advertisement

proof of concept to play exclusive Rift games on Vive

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

proof of concept to play exclusive Rift games on Vive

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

Cool. Can't keep the master race down!

Apparently eurotruck simulator is a further away from being vive ready then they initially thought it would be, which is a bummer

Did you get it running because most people who have tried it have reported it does'nt work...me included

Did you get it running because most people who have tried it have reported it does'nt work...me included

No haven't go the Vive yet, just got an email to say there about to charge my card so call the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

No haven't go the Vive yet, just got an email to say there about to charge my card so call the bank.
    Nice one, how long will it take from charge to delivery normally? Agonising wait lol

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Nice one, how long will it take from charge to delivery normally? Agonising wait lol

No ideas presume I'll have it by next weekend, called AIB just to let them know it was being charged in the next few days, said to do it in the email from HTC this morning.
    What wave are you in, may part 1 will be next probably ship out in April now I'd say seen things are on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

No ideas presume I'll have it by next weekend, called AIB just to let them know it was being charged in the next few days, said to do it in the email from HTC this morning.
    What wave are you in, may part 1 will be next probably ship out in April now I'd say seen things are on track.
    hopefully you will.
    Ahh no, i havnt ordered a Vive, was initially planning to before Oculus decided to give KS's free rifts, cant justify 2 HMD's and with all the shipping issues with both decided to keep my rift for now. Ill probably pickup a vive down the line.

• Advertisement

Yea probably a good idea I sold my dk2 to fund the Vive, things should look a lot different this time next year.

Advertisement