Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

veqBRce.png

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Im very curious to know the age of some of the people in this thread! :pac:

im nothing but a child i swear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

im nothing but a child i swear :D

It's one like you in those infuriating "smart kid" ads.
    Haven't heard those ads for selling PCs for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bambi wrote: »
    Kinda depends on you. For me the Vive is one of the best purchases I've ever made but the big guns have'nt weighed in yet on the games front, so you have a lot amazing stuff but no real full on GAMES that have been built for roomscale from the get go.

That said I find it hard to play non VR games now, the immersion is gone to a degree.
    Zillah wrote: »
    I love my Vive but until the game support is there it's never going to be anything more than a cool novelty. I might dip in for an hour, but I've spent 95% of my gaming time this week playing Overwatch on my cheapo 144hz monitor.

It also depends on your set up. If I had a dedicated room where I could normal game and Vive I'd probably Vive more, but at it is I can only Vive in the sitting room, which makes it a bit more of a headache.
    Aside from the technological superiority, the difference is between those who will valiantly uphold the sanctity of our beloved PC environment and the quislings who would sell us into walled bondage. :mad:

GSStF70.jpg

On the one hand complaining about a lack of games and then in almost the same breath complaining about a company funding lots of full high production value games. Oculus from the very beginning said they were going to pump money into VR games development to try and break the inevitable chicken and egg scenario that affects all new platforms. Without worthwhile content no one will buy the hardware. With not enough hardware sold, no one will develop worthwhile content. The problem, is that some people don't seem to understand the difference between Timed Store Exclusivity and Perpetual Platform Exclusivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Calibos wrote: »
    On the one hand complaining about a lack of games and then in almost the same breath complaining about a company funding lots of full high production value games. Oculus from the very beginning said they were going to pump money into VR games development to try and break the inevitable chicken and egg scenario that affects all new platforms. Without worthwhile content no one will buy the hardware. With not enough hardware sold, no one will develop worthwhile content. The problem, is that some people don't seem to understand the difference between Timed Store Exclusivity and Perpetual Platform Exclusivity

Thats weird... no one mentioned oculus paying off companies to keep games exclusive to the rift :confused: Touchy about that?

I mean valve are bankrolling companies to develop VR games, but obviously without the ****ty business tactics.

Just mentioned oculus are trying to force customers into their walled environment so facebook can monetize their every movement.

Its fairly obvious they're trying to replicate facebooks strategy of monopoly creation but ye know, that does'nt bother some people :)

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    It's one like you in those infuriating "smart kid" ads.
    Haven't heard those ads for selling PCs for a while.

:confused:

Thats weird... no one mentioned oculus paying off companies to keep games exclusive to the rift :confused: Touchy about that?

Don't play the eejit Bambi. Whats the picture and Quisling reference all about then?

I mean valve are bankrolling companies to develop VR games, but obviously without the ****ty business tactics.

Oculus are funding games that either wouldn't exist at all without the funding or would exist but be much smaller less ambitious projects. All they ask in return for all that funding of the Dev is timed exclusivity on Oculus Home. Not Perpetual exclusivity, not Platform exclusivity. Timed 'Store' exclusivity. HTC and Valve on the other hand want equity in the dev company in return for funds in the case of HTC and Valves 'funding' is actually merely an advance on Steam revenues. ie. The dev has to pay it back to Valve. So who has the ****ty business practices again??

Just mentioned oculus are trying to force customers into their walled environment so facebook can monetize their every movement.

[Sigh] Apple is a walled environment. You can't run anything on an Apple device without Apples explicit permission. They are the gatekeeper. You can run anything on the Rift without needing Oculus permission. Timed Store Exclusivity does not a walled garden make.

Its fairly obvious they're trying to replicate facebooks strategy of monopoly creation but ye know, that does'nt bother some people :)

So you're OK with the current effective STEAM monopoly but another Store only competing with Steam in the VR realm rather than being seen as breaking the monopoly is actually seen by you as more monopolistic? I don't know what to say?? So you are against the Origin and Uplay 'Monopolies' competing with your beloved can do no wrong Steam too?

Of course in the end it always comes down to Facebook. Facebook are evil m'kay, Facebook might spy on me through the constellation tracking camera m'kay, Mark Zuckerburg ate my grandmother m'kay :D So you don't use any of the services of those other monopolistic personal data mining b'stards Google either??

I realise I'm not going to change the minds of any of the Vive Diehards in here but for undecided purchasers reading this, please do yourselves a favour and thoroughly research both HMD's before purchase to make sure you are aware whats a fact and whats bull$hit. So much FUD has been spread about Oculus and their supposed 'Shady Business practices' and the Rift capabilities its not funny. It is the more attractive, lighter, ergonomic, comfortable HMD with unnoticably less FOV but noticeably better optical sweetspot, clarity and reduced Screen Door effect compared to the Vive. Unless you where large rimmed glasses or have an unusual shaped head in the 5% percentile, it is the better HMD. Not by a huge amount but better all the same. I've lost count of the number of posts on other fora where a Viver has said, "I wanted to hate the Rift but....". The FUD about the Roomscale capabilities of the Rift and Touch just wont die, even now that devs have had it in their hands for months and theres a load of Youtube video's showing it to be just as if not more capable than the Vive tracked controllers. Some still try to deny its even possible because some ill informed youtube celeb once said that Rift couldn't do roomscale despite the evidence right there in front of them in the form of youtube videos from devs. Most aren't capable of that much cognitive dissonence I'll grant you and are merely moving the goalposts. Apparently the fact that Rift will only be capable of a maximum 4 metre square play area compared to the Vives 5m squared is now the big deal breaker. This despite the fact that Steam VR's very own stats show that less than 2% of Vive owners report having the ability to clear a 5m square play area in their homes. So what if Rift can only do 4m compared to Vives 5m when 98% of people can only clear a less than 4m space anyway. Most of the worlds population live in smaller homes than us here in Europe in our 3 bed semi's never mind McMansions in the USA. Dev's are not going to design their Roomscale games for McMansion owners. They are going to design for a space achievable by the most amount of potential purchasers and that space is smaller than the Rift is capable of never mind the Vive.

Most people who are lucky enough to own both HMD's say that they prefer the Rift HMD but love tracked controllers, enjoyed the heck out of the Roomscale and tracked controller tech demo's but if Touch turns out to be at least comparable and Oculus are true to their word that they'll have 30 launch titles, its their Vive that will be going on craigslist or regional equivalent and not their Rift. Don't trust the guys like me who only have a Rift and don't trust the Dogmatic Facebookulus haters who only have a Vive. Trust the people who own both who are much less likely to be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Can we just stop with the faction war stuff? Honestly it's so boring at this point. Until Touch is out we're not even comparing like with like.

Zillah wrote: »
    Can we just stop with the faction war stuff? Honestly it's so boring at this point. Until Touch is out we're not even comparing like with like.

I quite like the concept of the touch controllers, if they work as described.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I realise I'm not going to change the minds of any of the Vive Diehards in here but for undecided purchasers reading this, please do yourselves a favour and thoroughly research both HMD's before purchase to make sure you are aware whats a fact and whats bull$hit. So much FUD has been spread about Oculus and their supposed 'Shady Business practices' and the Rift capabilities its not funny. It is the more attractive, lighter, ergonomic, comfortable HMD with unnoticably less FOV but noticeably better optical sweetspot, clarity and reduced Screen Door effect compared to the Vive. Unless you where large rimmed glasses or have an unusual shaped head in the 5% percentile, it is the better HMD. Not by a huge amount but better all the same. I've lost count of the number of posts on other fora where a Viver has said, "I wanted to hate the Rift but....". The FUD about the Roomscale capabilities of the Rift and Touch just wont die, even now that devs have had it in their hands for months and theres a load of Youtube video's showing it to be just as if not more capable than the Vive tracked controllers. Some still try to deny its even possible because some ill informed youtube celeb once said that Rift couldn't do roomscale despite the evidence right there in front of them in the form of youtube videos from devs. Most aren't capable of that much cognitive dissonence I'll grant you and are merely moving the goalposts. Apparently the fact that Rift will only be capable of a maximum 4 metre square play area compared to the Vives 5m squared is now the big deal breaker. This despite the fact that Steam VR's very own stats show that less than 2% of Vive owners report having the ability to clear a 5m square play area in their homes. So what if Rift can only do 4m compared to Vives 5m when 98% of people can only clear a less than 4m space anyway. Most of the worlds population live in smaller homes than us here in Europe in our 3 bed semi's never mind McMansions in the USA. Dev's are not going to design their Roomscale games for McMansion owners. They are going to design for a space achievable by the most amount of potential purchasers and that space is smaller than the Rift is capable of never mind the Vive.

Most people who are lucky enough to own both HMD's say that they prefer the Rift HMD but love tracked controllers, enjoyed the heck out of the Roomscale and tracked controller tech demo's but if Touch turns out to be at least comparable and Oculus are true to their word that they'll have 30 launch titles, its their Vive that will be going on craigslist or regional equivalent and not their Rift. Don't trust the guys like me who only have a Rift and don't trust the Dogmatic Facebookulus haters who only have a Vive. Trust the people who own both who are much less likely to be biased.

Nice Rift PR statement, you deserve a raise :D

https://youtu.be/zdFDhze6MdU

And suddenly I need a vive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Thank you, phones acting the arse

From the creator of rick and Morty apparently

Reminds me of this:

yeah spoiler if you watch the video

for the 2 sensors lads, is there any sort of skinny tripod type yoke to attach them to? if i buy this i dont want to go drilling holes in walls for fear of death from herself �� although im probably dead if she finds out ive bought this anyway...

for the 2 sensors lads, is there any sort of skinny tripod type yoke to attach them to? if i buy this i dont want to go drilling holes in walls for fear of death from herself �� although im probably dead if she finds out ive bought this anyway...

Nope the lighthouses come with wall mounts rather than poles,

you can get camera light tripods that do the job nicely.

What I did was stuck one on top of the curtain rail and the other is on a jury rigged shower rail stuck onto a low shelf

just drill em in, sure she'll bate the head off ya anyway once you start rearranging the furniture to make space for room scale :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this is what people seem to be buying

Stand

Mount

"its ok though i bought it third hand" famous last words says he.

no irish shipping on those :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

has anyone on boards.ie picked up onward yet?

I was saving towards the Vive but ran into some issues that has led to me delaying all my plans (thanks Brexit) but the videos for onward really tempt me to go out an get one straight away. Rough around the edges but the core gameplay looks solid, a small scale Arma that works because of the focus on little interactivity offered by VR. It means it always be slower then shooters like counter strike but thats what is the charm of VR.

Also it seems to somehow have avoided the whole nausea with movement for the most part (over 500 reviews and only 38 negative and not all of them are motion sickness related)

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I was saving towards the Vive but ran into some issues that has led to me delaying all my plans (thanks Brexit) but the videos for onward really tempt me to go out an get one straight away. Rough around the edges but the core gameplay looks solid, a small scale Arma that works because of the focus on little interactivity offered by VR. It means it always be slower then shooters like counter strike but thats what is the charm of VR.

Also it seems to somehow have avoided the whole nausea with movement for the most part (over 500 reviews and only 38 negative and not all of them are motion sickness related)

Finally a decent post with content and not a vive / rift flamewar to read!

That game looks extremely immersive, i wonder if H3VR will ever go the open world multiplayer route, it would be sick!

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I have it, but I haven't played multiplayer yet, only plinked around on the range, my knee is screwed right now so i cant kneel. Don't find the movement to be too bad so long as you don't move in the opposite direction in the real world.

It feels a lot like H3VR:online. Though H3VR has

Another recent release that's a blast is the aptly named rollerblaster, mad arcadey rail shooter. Only VR game that's nearly managed make me fall over, made the mistake of looking behind me while turning a corner and my brain thought I'd lost my footing :(

Speaking of H3VR there is some big updates at the moment.

He added a new outdoor shooting range modelled on youtube user hickok45's forest range.

If anyone hasnt seen hickok45's channel, th and best way to describe him is as an American gun veteran, he has some really informative and charming videos of him shooting a diverse range of guns on his range.

Really cool of Anton to do this, im pretty sure it was requested on reddit.

He also added clay pigeon shooting which will be a really fun feature!

I dont even have a VR headset and Im already obsessed his videos.
    This would definitely be a day one purchase when I get a headset though.

I've been playing with that outdoor range..lot of fun.

I wish he would just put a forehand lock on the sniper rifles though, instead of messing around with floating platforms to rest them on

The clay pigeons are a hoor though, I had a lot more success the few times I tried shooting clays in real life

Doge wrote: »
    Finally a decent post with content and not a vive / rift flamewar to read!

That game looks extremely immersive, i wonder if H3VR will ever go the open world multiplayer route, it would be sick!

Yep, its really annoying when other HMD owners come into the threads telling them they should have gotten the other HMD instead isn't it ;)

I look forward to trying Onward. I'm prone to FPS sickness but reports are that the Dev must be doing something differently because the percentage of people getting sick from this is significantly less than the norm. Either that or its self selecting in that only people who know they don't get FPS sickness are playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I look forward to trying Onward. I'm prone to FPS sickness but reports are that the Dev must be doing something differently because the percentage of people getting sick from this is significantly less than the norm. Either that or its self selecting in that only people who know they don't get FPS sickness are playing it.

I've not played it but from watching the video I think its how the game focuses the player. the game controls movement speed by how high or low you hold the left controller while pressing a direction.

Hold if low and you move quickly, hold it high you move slowly

but when a player is focusing on shooting or using an item etc they'll instinctively be holding it high to get to grips with the rifle or to pull a pin on a grenade etc etc.

The result is the only time there is a high amount of movement is when the player is making a conscious decision to sprint from point A to B

all the other times like scanning the horizon or moving in a firefight its distinctly slower.

A lot of the issues I suspect with motion sickness is because a lot of early VR games are all about the spectacle so giving a player movement and then having them move around a large space in a somewhat unfocused manner (look there and look at that and look at THIS!) makes the nausea much more apparent.

Onward is one of the few games I've seen where the focus is much more on player actions so its focused more so the nausea is less.

not gone but distinctly less.

I have'nt had nausea in onwards but I havent really played it more than a 20-30 minutes at a leisurely clip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Just got a Vive there on Thursday, was looking forward to just getting into it. Plug everything in, "headset connected but not tracking"..... Have spent collectively maybe 12 hours now over the last few days trying to troubleshoot, uninstalling drivers, trying every USB port, plugging out all extension cards (except GPU) etc.. To make sure it wasn't the headset, my brother has a PC capable of running a Vive, plugged it all in and it worked perfectly without any issues.

I'm at a wit's end now with this ****. Running an Asus Z170-A motherboard which is obviously the issue now at this point since I've ruled every other possibility out. How can a board like that not have proper Vive support? So now by the looks of things I'll need to get the USB card HTC recommend, that's what 17 pounds on Amazon, but then I don't have any more spare extension slots so I'm going to have to buy a USB wifi adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's exactly the board I have and I had the same problems with the Rift too. They released newer USB3 drivers to improve Oculus/Vive support, eventually got it working.

• Advertisement

And to make life worse for ya, there's a firmware update for the base stations whihc seems to be a bit fiddly

Advertisement