Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bellows free game (limited time) on Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I have it actually.
    Just the A10 and whatever comes free with it. Been meaning to try and get back into it alright but it does have a massive learning curve...

IL-2 is meant to be getting a VR mode as well, will definitely be checking that out atleast.

IL BOS has a VR mode now alright, best VR implementation in a flight sim that ive seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Bambi wrote: »
    IL BOS has a VR mode now alright, best VR implementation in a flight sim that ive seen

I have been playing it the past few days! :cool:

Its great craic alright! Hard game as the planes are so easy to stall but so satisfying when you get a kill.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I have been playing it the past few days! :cool:

Its great craic alright! Hard game as the planes are so easy to stall but so satisfying when you get a kill.

Have only tried it online, tbh finding the planes very forgiving in handling and engine management, especially in comparison to cliffs of dover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

really looking forward to playing Star Trek Bridge Crew at the end of May.

Was watching the demo yesterday. Looks like a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I haven't watched too much, just a few short vids, and it looks like it could be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Shred

I picked up Arkham VR earlier and gave it a crack for about 50 minutes, it's very cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Shred wrote: »
    I picked up Arkham VR earlier and gave it a crack for about 50 minutes, it's very cool!
    Oh, didn't realise that was out. I'll have to pick it up.

Shred wrote: »

Ooooooohhhhhhh

I had no idea. This will be bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Redeem the 20% discount on Uplay Store and you can get Star Trek Bridge Crew for €40. If you select the Vive version on the Uplay store they actually email you a Steam key which is nice because even with the discount I was considering getting this on Steam instead of Uplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah but its still 699 euro :D madness considering the price pf the rift at the moment.

yeah but its still 699 euro :D madness considering the price pf the rift at the moment.
    Depends on what sort of games you play, Vive beats the rift for room-scale. If you don't have the room or don't want room-scale then the Rift is unbeatable value, it's great for Vive users too as it is increasing the VR user base.

However, if you're tempted by the Vive I'd reccomend holding out for a few months to see if the new knuckles controllers get bundled with it. The standard vive controllers are awesome but the new ones are the best VR controllers out there (but only available to devs atm)

Depends on what sort of games you play, Vive beats the rift for room-scale. If you don't have the room or don't want room-scale then the Rift is unbeatable value, it's great for Vive users too as it is increasing the VR user base.

However, if you're tempted by the Vive I'd reccomend holding out for a few months to see if the new knuckles controllers get bundled with it. The standard vive controllers are awesome but the new ones are the best VR controllers out there (but only available to devs atm)

Valve are developing the knuckles themselves...not sure they will ever be bundled with a HTC product

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Repeat after me...

Rift....Does.....Roomscale... :D

Calibos wrote: »
    Repeat after me...

There's a great scene in the sopranos where Paulie makes Christopher strip naked so they can be sure that he's not wearing a wire, Christoper is standing there in his Jeyes Fluid, pissed off and Paulie glances at his crotch, shrugs, and says "I guess you could call that a dick"

Anyway you were saying something about room scale and oculus :)

Calibos wrote: »
    Repeat after me...

...requires an extra USB camera, doesnt give you the same area as the Vive and probably will require you to buy a PCI USB card because of all the USB bandwidth and power it draws. I'm trying to provide real advice here and not be a troll, perhaps go and help that Rift user in the other thread who just posted how the Rift prevents his game controllers from working when he has both plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id 100% buy a vive for its native steam support, except there is no good reason that the price is what it is, it should be priced similar to the rift as they are both near identical at this stage. Both do roomscale both have good support, both have good hmd's and both have good controllers. if htc think the vive will be competitive with the rift at 699euro they are mistaken!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

...requires an extra USB camera, doesnt give you the same area as the Vive and probably will require you to buy a PCI USB card because of all the USB bandwidth and power it draws. I'm trying to provide real advice here and not be a troll, perhaps go and help that Rift user in the other thread who just posted how the Rift prevents his game controllers from working when he has both plugged in.

With the touch bundle you already get said extra camera for room scale.

No need for a PCI card, just run the sensors on USB 2.0 and the rift on USB 3.0, it actually tracks better that way.

5 x 5 feet with two cameras is hardly room scale. Buying a third camera gets you to 8 x 8 feet which is still a lot smaller than the 15x15 feet you get with the Vive. But if that suits your room or the type of games you play then the Rift is the obvious choice. If you want to move around a lot more when playing games and you have the room then the vive is a much better experience and it uses only 1 USB port in total.

EDIT: Here's the theoretical limits from Oculus themselves: https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/
    And the Oculus Subreddit has a guide which states you need an extra camera, active USB extension leads and a PCIe USB card (estimated cost is €120 without shipping) to get the 8x8 feet coverage:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/touch_360_roomscale

This is the main reason why the Vive is worth more than the Rift. I'm not trolling anyone, just presenting the facts. I was delighted to see the Rift being sold at a lower price and have reccomended it to many of my friends who have room size restrictions. Cheaper VR and price competition means more users and more games which is great for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Shred

I played about an hour of Doom VFR and I'm liking it a lot, it's a little buggy at times but I suspect this could be local to me - I've had a some tracking issues/freezes this evening. Either way it's well worth the thirty bucks I think. It's perhaps not as pany poop inducing as I'd thought but it's a lot of fun. There's a pretty cool fully animated gallery that you can access early on and being able to stand right in front of a fúcking enormous Cyberdemon is seriously cool, it should be something else coming up against them.

Went on a VR binge yesterday and broke the in-ear headphones. Even though I swapped them out for another pair I think it's a good excuse to buy the deluxe audio strap. Anyone know where I can get one? I've tried HTC, Scan and OcUK. Amazon have a 3rd party seller one that is overpriced.

Went on a VR binge yesterday and broke the in-ear headphones. Even though I swapped them out for another pair I think it's a good excuse to buy the deluxe audio strap. Anyone know where I can get one? I've tried HTC, Scan and OcUK. Amazon have a 3rd party seller one that is overpriced.

Not sure, but try to buy from third party because HTC are a pain to buy from.

The DAS makes a huge difference but one of my headphones has a habit of popping outwards on its gimble away from my ear that drives me up the wall

Bambi wrote: »
    Not sure, but try to buy from third party because HTC are a pain to buy from.

The DAS makes a huge difference but one of my headphones has a habit of popping outwards on its gimble away from my ear that drives me up the wall
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll hang on for a slightly better price, it's a luxury item that I don't really need. However, my body is sore from all the bopping around for the whole day yesterday so I think I could justify treating myself. I bought a load of VR games just before christmas and only getting to try them now.

HTC are hinting at a higher resolution headset for the vive:
    https://twitter.com/htcvive/status/949339978521169920

Whether that's more pixels or better lenses we won't know till monday. Also, the lack of a head strap in the image might indicate that this is intended to be sold as an upgrade that will work with your current strap. Maybe that's why the deluxe audio straps have been sold out? Perhaps they hope to sell them in a bundle?

My lenses got some minor scratches when I was demoing to people with glasses (fitted the headset too tightly) so I'd be happy to get a new one and I'd like to see a better integrated microphone too.

For some reason when I first saw that black & white image on their facebook page I thought they were punting a cardboard type promo thing and never even read the blurb

Moar pixels would sure be good for flight sims

• Advertisement

If you're a gamer and have started exercising more for the new year then you might as well stop now and wait for this:

Just a few minutes of this and you'll be buff as hell without having to leave the house :D

Joking aside, this is the first proper resistance trainer for VR that I've seen:
    https://www.vrfitnessinsider.com/black-box-vr-ces-2018-innovation-awards-honoree/

Advertisement