Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Isn't there a wireless attachment on the way for it. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/htc-vive-wireless-upgrade

Still haven't bought another VR headset since selling the Vive. Not sure what to do now, thinking of just getting a cheap oculus to tide me over until Vive 2, nearly pulled the plug on one today for €380 on amazon. No sign of a bargain Vive yet though.
    I know HTC is the way to go long term though by the looks of things.

Was the €380 rift in amazon warehouse deals, or 2nd hand from a 3rd party seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cadete wrote: »
    Picked up a vive tonight off adverts can't wait to get it set up! Any suggestions on games to try? Have elite dangerous, dcs, ets and assetto cords already, any vr only titles to grab

for the initial OMG ha ha buzz

Job Simulator
    Hot dogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades
    Sports Bar VR
    Vanishing Realms
    Lethal VR
    Onward
    The Thrill of the fight

Free Stuff:
    Google Earth VR
    Destinations
    The Lab
    Nvidia Funhouse
    DOTA2
    The Night Cafe (you're in a van gogh painting..whats there not to like?)
    Budget Cuts Demo
    Accounting
    The Cubicle
    MSI:Electric City
    Waltz Of the Wizard

Grab a desktop environment like BigScreen Beta or Virtual Desktop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bambi wrote: »
    for the initial OMG ha ha buzz

Job Simulator
    Hot dogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades
    Sports Bar VR
    Vanishing Realms
    Lethal VR
    Onward
    The Thrill of the fight

Free Stuff:
    Google Earth VR
    Destinations
    The Lab
    Nvidia Funhouse
    DOTA2
    The Night Cafe (you're in a van gogh painting..whats there not to like?)
    Budget Cuts Demo
    Accounting
    The Cubicle
    MSI:Electric City
    Waltz Of the Wizard

Grab a desktop environment like BigScreen Beta or Virtual Desktop

I'd also add the zombie simulator to that list.

Call Of The Star Seed is good.

Elite Dangerous is a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Doge wrote: »
    Was the €380 rift in amazon warehouse deals, or 2nd hand from a 3rd party seller?

That was 3rd party.

Not a good day for Lucky, 50 big ones ouch http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14474198/oculus-lawsuit-verdict

Feck it just ordered a new one in case sales stop.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14478258/zenimax-oculus-injunction

That was 3rd party.

Not a good day for Lucky, 50 big ones ouch http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14474198/oculus-lawsuit-verdict

Feck it just ordered a new one in case sales stop.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14478258/zenimax-oculus-injunction

Palmers a dead man walking at oculus anyway

Be interesting to see if either party appeal the verdict

• Advertisement

I'd say they won't stop until they get there 4 billion.

Just to illustrate the level of shadiness that went on during the oculus/facebook takeover

" I was a hardware engineer at Valve during the early VR days, working mostly on Lighthouse and the internal dev headset. There were a few employees who insisted that the Valve VR group give away both hardware and software to Oculus with the hope that they would work together with Valve on VR. The tech was literally given away -- no contract, no license. After the facebook acquisition, these folks presumably received large financial incentives to join facebook, which they did. It was the most questionable thing I've seen in my whole career, and was partially caused by Valve's flat management structure and general lack of oversight. I left shortly after."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

My prize Vive arrived last week.

Had it set up in our big sitting room initially for the wow factor. Had a blast over the weekend trying stuff. But I had to move it back to my room tonight. Less room but better set up for online stuff (our sitting room is far away from the router and I use a wired connection for my pc no wireless, its a pain to try and take it online wirelessly. also the room is not laid out for a keyboard/mouse so it was easier to do pretty much everything in VR)

But back in my room and I took War Thunder for a spin in VR.

fecking loved it and didnt do bad (3 kills) compared to my usual Simulator battle performance. Gonna redownload elite dangerous too soon to give it a whirl.

Best prize ever.

Nothing like a dogfight in war thunder my favourite VR game, one of the main reasons I've bought into vr again.

Nothing like a dogfight in war thunder my favourite VR game, one of the main reasons I've bought into vr again.

Yeah, I tried this, was a great laugh.

I also used VorpX for Alien Isolation, was good fun, but nearly got sick on the space walk mission.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I tried this, was a great laugh.

I also used VorpX for Alien Isolation, was good fun, but nearly got sick on the space walk mission.

I played it on the DK2 didn't need VorpX just changed a little bit of code in the game files was simple to do.
    Say I only gave it half an hour was to woozy.
    I've still to go back to Outlast in VR, love horror movies but I'd like to be in a very safe place playing it. Had to keep taking off headset to check nobody going to kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I've been back using my Vive over the past few weeks. Tiltbrush with the new audio reactive brushes that react to music you have playing in the background had me stuck in VR for hours:

I'd reccomend Arizona Sunshine too, really enjoyable so far and can be played in CoOp...although the inverse kinematics can render your friend in some funny poses :D

If you have friends over and want a game that not only the Vive user can play then this shows some promise:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

God damn the urge to buy one of these is strong. Saw a few videos that made it look amazing, and Valve just announced that they are making 3 VR games. Half Life 3, Portal 3 and TF3 perhaps? (maybe being a bit optimistic :P)

Ok, apparently they are only smaller lab type games :(
    Newell and team did later confirm that these were not smaller experiments, but intended to be new "full games", as opposed to the vignette-style demonstrations shown in Valve's The Lab. Valve expects to sell these new games, and is using both Unity and its own Source 2 engine to develop them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/291222

Kiith wrote: »
    God damn the urge to buy one of these is strong. Saw a few videos that made it look amazing, and Valve just announced that they are making 3 VR games. Half Life 3, Portal 3 and TF3 perhaps? (maybe being a bit optimistic :P)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/291222

someone mentioned half life and 3.....

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

HYPE TRAIN

HYPE TRAIN

HYPE TRAIN

Mentioned it, and then swiftly revoked it unfortunately :(

Kiith wrote: »
    Mentioned it, and then swiftly revoked it unfortunately :(

that's been the way since 2005

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It will only come out in VR when it's ready i would say. There will be a big moment when the player gets to pick up a crowbar and the crowd will go wild.

half-life-3-i-want-to-believe1-790x593.jpg

Is it wrong that I couldnt care less about valve's games? They ain't got no soul no more

L4D
    DOTA
    TF2
    Yea even the hallowed Portal

Just don't float my boat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Personally, I can't wait to see what Valve will come out with, especially considering how much I go back to various 'The Lab' experiences when having a session.

• Advertisement

Been playing the indie game 'Emily wants to Play' good horror game.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

With all the accessories coming out it's hard for me to buy it now, gonna have to wait til there is some sort of all-in-one or next iteration. Price will probably drop on some stiff soon as Rift have started reducing their price.

Or not yet! https://www.yahoo.com/tech/htc-virtual-reality-unit-vive-not-match-oculus-213758169--finance.html

With all the accessories coming out it's hard for me to buy it now, gonna have to wait til there is some sort of all-in-one or next iteration. Price will probably drop on some stiff soon as Rift have started reducing their price.

HTC said there was no price drop planned to match the rift. That said it will be a year old soon, if they give a date for the next version they would surely drop the price on the current version. No word on next iteration either but it may have:

wireless headset
    new strap/audio
    new controllers
    different lighthouse units
    presumably higher resolution headset
    possibly eye tracking

all that would be worth waiting for if it was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

LG recently demoed their headset and tracked controller which uses SteamVR basestations ( resolution of 1440 x 1280 per eye versus 1080x1200 per eye of the HTC Vive)

Valve are making the basestations/lighthouses for tracking less complex (ie most likely cheaper)

It looks likes Valve want to stay in control of the tracking technology but are open to other manufacturers creating headsets and controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'll be looking at picking one of these up this year. Hopefully see it below €700 at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Is there anything else like war thunder for a good dogfight in VR?
    I really dislike those pay-win games so have never gone back to it.

Been playing elite but not really sure what I am doing to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ri_Nollaig wrote:

I think House of the Dying Sun is like that. Haven't tried it, but it's all about the space dog-fighting.

...and its 40% off at the moment.
    Worth a shot :D

Reviews say its short but fun, probably worth €12 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

if you have the patience to learn dcs is well worth getting into and fantastic in vr,
    the flaming cliffs 3 bundle to start with or even just the f15 or su27 to see if you like the game, and then the mirage 2000 for clicky cockpit fun. its difficult but so rewarding when you get the hang of it, community is small but a few really good groups out there to help ya if you are gonna try it,
    if you do try and need help drop me a pm

• Advertisement

cadete wrote: »
    if you have the patience to learn dcs is well worth getting into and fantastic in vr,
    the flaming cliffs 3 bundle to start with or even just the f15 or su27 to see if you like the game, and then the mirage 2000 for clicky cockpit fun. its difficult but so rewarding when you get the hang of it, community is small but a few really good groups out there to help ya if you are gonna try it,
    if you do try and need help drop me a pm

I have it actually.
    Just the A10 and whatever comes free with it. Been meaning to try and get back into it alright but it does have a massive learning curve...

IL-2 is meant to be getting a VR mode as well, will definitely be checking that out atleast.

Advertisement