Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Nah I won't be spending that kind of money until they at least release the bigger battery, 1.5 hours is way too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shred wrote: »
    Nah I won't be spending that kind of money until they at least release the bigger battery, 1.5 hours is way too short.

It would work for me, I rarely use the vive for more than an hour, although theres a larger battery available for this apparently

I'd be more worried about latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bambi wrote: »

They say it isn't an issue. They could be outright lying, but I somehow doubt they'd release it if it had a negative impact on the experience.

Zillah wrote: »
    They say it isn't an issue. They could be outright lying, but I somehow doubt they'd release it if it had a negative impact on the experience.

I'm not sure what HTCs record for this stuff is so I'm cautious

Someone on reddit pointed out the speed this stuff is moving along at

"that's not scientifically possible"

5 months later:

"It's available to order Friday at 7 am PST"

If anyones interested Ive been playing Lethal VR for the last 20 minutes..its an absolute blast but its shows who wireless is so neccessery..I had turn off the vive and untiwist the cable twice in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If anyones interested Ive been playing Lethal VR for the last 20 minutes..its an absolute blast but its shows who wireless is so neccessery..I had turn off the vive and untiwist the cable twice in that time

I can't play another shooting arena, I just can't.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    I can't play another shooting arena, I just can't.

I hate them, don't play them. space pirates, hordez and all that bollix, even raw data didn't do it to for me. This one I like though, whether it lasts past the initial buzz I dunno

And as someone who's done a good bit of projectile throwing in the past, their knife throwing mechanic is quite qood

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So after trying VR for my first time yesterday, i think i may need to go and buy one. It was only the Gear VR, but it was enough to convince me i need it :P Not sure if it'll be the Rift or Vive yet, and i need to figure out if i need to upgrade my machine or not (Steam test says i;m good for recommended/high quality VR, so maybe not). Currently running a R9 290/i5 4550/8gb ram machine, so may need a better GPU.

Really looking forward to trying one though.

It would work for me, I rarely use the vive for more than an hour, although theres a larger battery available for this apparently

I do tend to spend 1-2 hours in the headset on average and then when I've people over it'd be longer. But as I said, "until they at least release the bigger battery" - if it's comign in at double capacity then I'd defo consider it. As you say though, I'd be wary of HTC saying there's no "noticable" latency, we shall see.

Kiith wrote: »
    So after trying VR for my first time yesterday, i think i may need to go and buy one. It was only the Gear VR, but it was enough to convince me i need it :P Not sure if it'll be the Rift or Vive yet, and i need to figure out if i need to upgrade my machine or not (Steam test says i;m good for recommended/high quality VR, so maybe not). Currently running a R9 290/i5 4550/8gb ram machine, so may need a better GPU.

Really looking forward to trying one though.

I'd say you'll be ok but obviously you'll benefit from a better GPU if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm amazed theres been no comment about Google Earth VR.

Until Touch arrives in a fortnight for my Rift, I'm having to spacebar tap and headbang my way around the Featured Locations and a Bray Save Point someone kindly sent me to drop into the earth VR save folder.....and its still amazing.

You guys can be zooming in and out all the way down to human scale and flying around like superman with your Vive controllers and not a peep out of ye??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm amazed theres been no comment about Google Earth VR.

Until Touch arrives in a fortnight for my Rift, I'm having to spacebar tap and headbang my way around the Featured Locations and a Bray Save Point someone kindly sent me to drop into the earth VR save folder.....and its still amazing.

You guys can be zooming in and out all the way down to human scale and flying around like superman with your Vive controllers and not a peep out of ye??

I've only gotten time to spend an hour with it but yeah it's pretty great. The sense of scale is definitely there. Definitely a great concept but unfortunately my broadband is **** so loading stuff takes ages.

I've run it a few times and I like it a lot, it could be the VR killer app but I don't think it is

You don't drop down to human scale though, it's more around mr stay puft from ghostbusters scale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've run it a few times and I like it a lot, it could be the VR killer app but I don't think it is

You don't drop down to human scale though, it's more around mr stay puft from ghostbusters scale

I think theres an option button in the menu to enable Human scale. Apparently in an urban environment it shows up the fact that the 3D meshes and textures aren't perfect close up. However in natural environments its not so bad and you get to really feel the scale of the environments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bought the Vive today.

Two years after starting this thread.

Bought the Vive today.

Two years after starting this thread.

Get it on sale?

Get it on sale?

Sale. And had voucher. So paid 500 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

nice!

Sale. And had voucher. So paid 500 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

where'd you buy from? I saw overclockers had £100 off on Friday

Wossack wrote: »
    where'd you buy from? I saw overclockers had £100 off on Friday

But it from HTC itself in a package bundle

*bought

• Advertisement

This thing is simply amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I was blind but now I see.

This thing is simply amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I was blind but now I see.

Ah it wears off after a while*

*it does'nt :D

Set your vive home to the simpsons environment, never fails to make me giggle

Ah it wears off after a while*

*it does'nt :D

Set your vive home to the simpsons environment, never fails to make me giggle

Going to try this when home.

How do I do this?
    I download, virtual desktop. Enjoying that.

Going to try this when home.

How do I do this?
    I download, virtual desktop. Enjoying that.

its one of the options for downloadable content for the steamvr program from the workshop. That or you go to the dashboard and settings and look for custom stuff

tbh for me, finding stuff in steam is a pain in the arse when it comes to VR but its in there somewhere

its one of the options for downloadable content for the steamvr program from the workshop. That or you go to the dashboard and settings and look for custom stuff

tbh for me, finding stuff in steam is a pain in the arse when it comes to VR but its in there somewhere

Cheers, having far too much fun with this. Couple of Q

1) is there a keyboard suitable to this, for VR ?

2) What way did you install your sensors?

3) How did you make the writing as clear as possible to suit you?

:):)

Played that Wizards Tower game last night.

All I could think of was, Skyrim needs to be done like this!! Was so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I just won a Vive.

Hopefully

Gaming bar in London was doing a weekly Vive night for the last month with Raw Data as the game that is played in Co-op.

its only a 3 round demo. But the goal was to get the best high score and win a Vive of your own.

I went last week and came 3rd

went back this week

and won!

Very intense at the end.

I'd just moved up to 2nd place when the guy who was in 2nd was accusing the player in first player of exploiting a bug. Essentially we play in Co-op but he was getting his girlfriend to simply hide and draw ai fire so he could get all the kills and he had the top score of 18000 points.

So the organiser decided to have a final. He took the top 5 scores and had each play solo one after the other. previously all games were co-op.

first player got 13,500 by himself

I went second 17,700

3rd player got 17,400

4th player 12,500

5th player (and the previous number 1) 17,000 exactly

I was properly freaking out watching player 3 and 5 because it came down to tiny things like accuracy and speed in the end that edged it out for me.

I'm over the ****ing moon. Free Vive!

Course I have to wait for HTC to get in touch about sending it out to me.

But got to compile a list of what to play

and worse work out how to get it to work in my attic room :( Stupid roof going at an angle...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    and worse work out how to get it to work in my attic room :( Stupid roof going at an angle...

Nah brother. Trust me, it won't work. You are better off just shipping it off to me when you get it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

The lighthouses are pretty flexible really when it comes to tracking. I've never had them placed above me because the ceiling has a slant and it can manage room scale with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The lighthouses are pretty flexible really when it comes to tracking. I've never had them placed above me because the ceiling has a slant and it can manage room scale with no issues.

As long as I can put them both in the centre axis of my room at different ends it should be fine. I just cant do the whole corner thing.

Sadly I'm stuck waiting for HTC to email me to arrange delivery now and me being paranoid that I gave my email wrong in a slightly drunken state.

Advertisement