Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

That's exactly the board I have and I had the same problems with the Rift too. They released newer USB3 drivers to improve Oculus/Vive support, eventually got it working.

Yeah, I've done clean drivers using the latest ones and still no luck. Had an absolute blast on my brother's PC but he's got a 970 and I have a 1080 so I'd really just want to get it working on my PC to really get the full experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I've done clean drivers using the latest ones and still no luck. Had an absolute blast on my brother's PC but he's got a 970 and I have a 1080 so I'd really just want to get it working on my PC to really get the full experience.

I know I had a nightmare of a time with my own Z170A, had to try numerous drivers before I found one that worked. Can't even remember now which one it was, but believe me I've been where you are, tearing my hair out. You will find a driver that works through trial and error, as painful as it is.

That said, it's ****ing ridiculous that a modern S1151 motherboard would have these issues! I've used my Rift with an older S1150 and S1155 motherboard and had zero problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I have that motherboard too, installed that usb driver before setting up my Rift and have had zero problems.

Calibos wrote: »
    I have that motherboard too, installed that usb driver before setting up my Rift and have had zero problems.

Vive though on the other hand just doesn't want to track for me. I've gone ahead and ordered the USB PCIe card that HTC recommend so hopefully that fixes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's a blast from the past!

Decided to scan the VR section from a weekly collectible reference encyclopedia I still have called Tree Of Knowledge that was out in 1995.

http://imgur.com/gallery/MOaMWf

Posted it in a virtual reality group on facebook and the admin replied with this gem:

I then discovered a youtube playlist full of over 90 retro VR videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0hIhAxPOpaYnCQhemDiwb-DMgvu0TpAs

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wonder where all those VR cabs ended up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads is there any particular reason why it took 25 years for the technology to actually be developed properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Lads is there any particular reason why it took 25 years for the technology to actually be developed properly?

It was more of a case of it becoming more affordable, practical and at a resolution high enough for close to the eye.

It was directly boosted by the development of high res Mobile phone displays, magnetometers, gyroscopes and an accelerometers.

We've come a long way since Snake on the 3210. ;)

I posted this in the Rift thread and feel I should also post it here too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101321262&postcount=3032

:o:o

Jesus. Have I been the only one following some of the news today??

How about those new prototype Vive controllers!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Skerries wrote: »
    I'd say this a long way off from releasing at retail. It will most likely be considered an upgrade (with no discount) by the time it is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm more interested in where the wireless shtuff is at right now

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm more interested in where the wireless shtuff is at right now

On the one hand you have Valves purchase of Nitero who claim they have low latency 60ghz beam forming wireless ready to go. However' on the other hand you have Michael Abrash saying at OC3 that not alone is Foveated Rendering required to lower GPU workload with higher res panels but its also required to reduce the bandwidth that needs to be sent of wireless from the PC to HMD....and he says usable foveated rendering is 5 years away.

So an update to my woes with the Vive. The USB card that HTC and Steam support recommend finally came, took a while and a few restarts of steamVR but tracking issues are gone. Can't get the camera working properly though (it just causes tracking to go again) but I'm going to be seated most of the time anyway.

Moral of the story, avoid the Z170-A if you plan on getting a Vive at any stage.

So an update to my woes with the Vive. The USB card that HTC and Steam support recommend finally came, took a while and a few restarts of steamVR but tracking issues are gone. Can't get the camera working properly though (it just causes tracking to go again) but I'm going to be seated most of the time anyway.

Moral of the story, avoid the Z170-A if you plan on getting a Vive at any stage.

Try turning the camera down to 30hz in the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What's the camera got to do with seated/room-scale?

Try turning the camera down to 30hz in the settings.

I've always left it at 30hz but tracking still was causing problems. Might retry it again tonight because steamVR seems very hit or miss when it comes to stability I mean last night I actually couldn't properly interact with the steam menus in VR for some reason but then after rebooting they were fine until they randomly decided to starting messing about again.

Projects cars though in VR definitely my favourite right now, tried ED but I think I need to make a lot of changes to graphical settings to make it more comfortable for me to play.

I've always left it at 30hz but tracking still was causing problems. Might retry it again tonight because steamVR seems very hit or miss when it comes to stability I mean last night I actually couldn't properly interact with the steam menus in VR for some reason but then after rebooting they were fine until they randomly decided to starting messing about again.

Projects cars though in VR definitely my favourite right now, tried ED but I think I need to make a lot of changes to graphical settings to make it more comfortable for me to play.

Do you have any joystcks or controllers attached to the PC ? Steam big picture picks up the input from them and it messes with the menus...its a pain in the hole

Really ****ing lost for words right now. So everything working fine when I first plug it in tonight, decided to try the camera. Turned it on and restarted, tracking lost within a few seconds so I just decide to revert it again and just play without it. No, it's decided to **** with me now for the last hour, headset not tracking, base stations greyed out, controllers not tracking you name I've seen it in the last hour. I've uninstalled, rebooted, plugged a base station in, restarted PC all multiple times now. I've just straight up uninstalled steamVR and reinstalling it now but I don't hold much hope. Really ****ing tired of this ****.

No I can't try a USB 2.0 port because they don't ****ing work since they are the motherboard's. The only two I know worked (as of yesterday night) are the USB card and both are 3.0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really ****ing lost for words right now. So everything working fine when I first plug it in tonight, decided to try the camera. Turned it on and restarted, tracking lost within a few seconds so I just decide to revert it again and just play without it. No, it's decided to **** with me now for the last hour, headset not tracking, base stations greyed out, controllers not tracking you name I've seen it in the last hour. I've uninstalled, rebooted, plugged a base station in, restarted PC all multiple times now. I've just straight up uninstalled steamVR and reinstalling it now but I don't hold much hope. Really ****ing tired of this ****.

No I can't try a USB 2.0 port because they don't ****ing work since they are the motherboard's. The only two I know worked (as of yesterday night) are the USB card and both are 3.0.

I'm with you, as I stated previously I did get the Oculus working OK in the end on my z170-A, but as far as I'm concerned it's a garbage board.

I have tons of USB-related issues with it - ports randomly not working the odd time on startup, certain devices plugged in abruptly disconnecting and reconnecting (can't use the Xbox wireless adapter for this reason), etc.

Couldn't be bothered replacing it right at the moment but I will be doing so soon enough.

I'm with you, as I stated previously I did get the Oculus working OK in the end on my z170-A, but as far as I'm concerned it's a garbage board.

I have tons of USB-related issues with it - ports randomly not working the odd time on startup, certain devices plugged in abruptly disconnecting and reconnecting (can't use the Xbox wireless adapter for this reason), etc.

Couldn't be bothered replacing it right at the moment but I will be doing so soon enough.

Yeah it does seem to be the motherboard causing these issues for people. It's a shame Asus seem to have no interest in even acknowledging it.

I could write a book now at this point on my vive adventures. Tried it today, didn't work again. Decided I'd try resetting my BIOS, while in there I discovered an option to disable the Asmedia controller so I did that too. Reinstalled all the VR drivers and now I've managed two hours straight with the vive with no issues.... Also went from a two lighthouse setup to just one but two worked before so it's not that.

Yeah it does seem to be the motherboard causing these issues for people. It's a shame Asus seem to have no interest in even acknowledging it.

I could write a book now at this point on my vive adventures. Tried it today, didn't work again. Decided I'd try resetting my BIOS, while in there I discovered an option to disable the Asmedia controller so I did that too. Reinstalled all the VR drivers and now I've managed two hours straight with the vive with no issues.... Also went from a two lighthouse setup to just one but two worked before so it's not that.
    If you have any of the Asus bloatware installed remove it. Things like Asus AISUITE, that kind of software that came with the motherboard. I only ever had 2 issues on this PC and both were easily resolved by unistalling all the crap software that came with the motherboard.

If you have any of the Asus bloatware installed remove it. Things like Asus AISUITE, that kind of software that came with the motherboard. I only ever had 2 issues on this PC and both were easily resolved by unistalling all the crap software that came with the motherboard.

Already did all that, it seems to be working now today though for one reason or another.

The only problem now is G29 wheel won't work at all, when it's spinning up it just stops before it's finished then I can't calibrate the wheel in PCars at all...

EDIT: Fixed the G29 but now mumble won't detect my mic, when will it end! :P

EDIT 2: Mic now works again when I updated to the new version of mumble, lets hope now that's the end of things breaking on me.

Ive no problems with my z170-A and Rift. Thought it might not have been playing ball with my x52 Pro Hotas which started blue-screening my PC after a week but when it did the same on a different PC with win7 I knew it was neither my PC nor OS to blame so I rma'd the Hotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

Interested in buying a vive once I get around to building a gaming rig. Can you use any controller with it (Xbox One) that have support for the vive? Does it come with headphones?

CasualLiKE wrote: »
    Interested in buying a vive once I get around to building a gaming rig. Can you use any controller with it (Xbox One) that have support for the vive? Does it come with headphones?

You can use any controller that a particular games supports. The majority of the vive designed games are designed for the motion controllers, they would make no sense without them. Comes with a set of in ear headphones..I use them over my other head sets because they have a nice short cable.

yeah I use the provided ones as well and I have them fed through the Vive so they dangle down beside my ears when I put it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

OSI wrote: »

Why a limited run? Why only Asia? That's bizarre. They went to the cost of developing it - why on earth wouldn't they want to sell as many units as they can?

At first I was about to give $220 the middle finger, but then I started imaging what playing without the cable would be like and I was quite excited. I'm largely resigned to getting one. Might wait until Budget Cuts is released though.

Advertisement