Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭AH92

Just ordered one of these through HTC themselves can't wait!!! Are these still shipped from Czech Republic does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shred

AH92 wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these through HTC themselves can't wait!!! Are these still shipped from Czech Republic does anyone know?

I think they come from the Netherlands, if you ordered Friday you should have it quite soon, possibly even tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭AH92

Shred wrote: »
    I think they come from the Netherlands, if you ordered Friday you should have it quite soon, possibly even tomorrow.

Cheers turns out they are indeed shipped from Czech Republic, Due to get it tomorrow via DHL Express so here's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

does anyone go onto altspace vr?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Some mod that apparently boosts the visual quality in certain games such as Elite Dangerous.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4q3aa9/psa_supersampling_on_the_htc_vive_has_arrived/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Some mod that apparently boosts the visual quality in certain games such as Elite Dangerous.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4q3aa9/psa_supersampling_on_the_htc_vive_has_arrived/

You should understand that this is supersampling, aka, forcing the game to run at a higher resolution than the screen can display and then scaling it down. It does a better job of reducing aliasing but it's murder on your hardware. Also it's not a mod, just a settings tweak.

Zillah wrote: »
    You should understand that this is supersampling, aka, forcing the game to run at a higher resolution than the screen can display and then scaling it down. It does a better job of reducing aliasing but it's murder on your hardware. Also it's not a mod, just a settings tweak.
    Good thing my hardware is a serial killer :D

Like Nvidia's DSR which I have never tried due to using SLI which it doesn't work with. I recently bought a 1080 though so I must try that.

Good thing my hardware is a serial killer :D

Like Nvidia's DSR which I have never tried due to using SLI which it doesn't work with. I recently bought a 1080 though so I must try that.

Yeah I'm about to try DSR with No Man's Sky, there's something fucky going on with their resolution.

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah I'm about to try DSR with No Man's Sky, there's something fucky going on with their resolution.
    No mans sky isn't very optimised on PC at the moment. Even my 1080 was working very hard at 1440p.

According to a work colleague, Curries (in Blanchardstown at least) are doing demos of the Vive if anyone on the fence about it wants a go. He said he would have bought one there and then only his PC isn't up to spec!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

they selling em there, or just demo'g?

Wossack wrote: »
    they selling em there, or just demo'g?

They're selling them too, I thought they had been for a while no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

oh sorry, wasnt aware - thanks for the info though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just got an email from Ibood, they are selling the vive for €799 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Title of this thread should be changed to "HTC Vive" PC :)
    Surprised not to see more criticism of the unit in general, here compared to the rest of the net.

Just got an email from Ibood, they are selling the vive for €799 today.
    Anddddd, it's gone.

Sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is the vive worth a buy lads? i have a 28 inch 4k 60hz monitor that im thinking of upgrading to something nicer, around the same sort of money as a vive. Have always dreamed of vr but i dont know whether i should wait for vive 2 or just jump in. Thing is i wont have much room for room scale though :(

is the vive worth a buy lads? i have a 28 inch 4k 60hz monitor that im thinking of upgrading to something nicer, around the same sort of money as a vive. Have always dreamed of vr but i dont know whether i should wait for vive 2 or just jump in. Thing is i wont have much room for room scale though :(

If you are a gamer I'd make the monitor purchase first.

I'd place the Vive as number 2 on the list. VR is fantastic but it's still early days when it comes to games development for VR.

What graphics card are you using?

If you are a gamer I'd make the monitor purchase first.

I'd place the Vive as number 2 on the list. VR is fantastic but it's still early days when it comes to games development for VR.

What graphics card are you using?

gtx 1080, thing is on the monitor front the monitor i want really isnt out yet, id like to wait for an ultrawide, 144hz, 1440p or 4k vertical res. these damn decisions haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kinda depends on you. For me the Vive is one of the best purchases I've ever made but the big guns have'nt weighed in yet on the games front, so you have a lot amazing stuff but no real full on GAMES that have been built for roomscale from the get go.

That said I find it hard to play non VR games now, the immersion is gone to a degree.

I love my Vive but until the game support is there it's never going to be anything more than a cool novelty. I might dip in for an hour, but I've spent 95% of my gaming time this week playing Overwatch on my cheapo 144hz monitor.

It also depends on your set up. If I had a dedicated room where I could normal game and Vive I'd probably Vive more, but at it is I can only Vive in the sitting room, which makes it a bit more of a headache.

gtx 1080, thing is on the monitor front the monitor i want really isnt out yet, id like to wait for an ultrawide, 144hz, 1440p or 4k vertical res. these damn decisions haha

I assume this is the one you'll want http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-x34-series

You have great horse power in that graphics card for VR so you'll get a great experience.

yeah was looking at that acer and this asus, but LG have just released/announced a new UW 38" monitor with 1600 vertical res so i think i might wait to see if the other boys take that panel and turn the refresh up and add gsync, but my lack of patience is like the little devil on my shoulder just saying "buy the vive, do it" :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Buy the Rift. Touch is coming in about 6 weeks. 30 Launch Titles for Touch.

Calibos wrote: »
    Buy the Rift. Touch is coming in about 6 weeks. 30 Launch Titles for Touch.

good-luck-with-that2.jpg

Thats what you'll be using in six weeks and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Rift Pre-order shipping delayed by 4 weeks???

Never trust a thing Oculus says.

Vive Launch in December 2015 delayed 4 months and only announced days before expected launch with BS excuse that it was delayed for a "very very significant technological breakthrough" leading people to imagine 4K+ or Eyetracking and Foveated rendering or something. Turns out to be a monoscopic camera and bluetooth receiver so your game can be interrupted by a phone call. In other words a bull$hit excuse because they had only managed to produce 7000 units by the December launch date. (Those 7000 becoming Vive-Pre's to be sent to Devs instead)

All Praise Vive and Lord Gaben!!

:rolleyes: :D

Calibos wrote: »
    Rift Pre-order shipping delayed by 4 weeks???

Never trust a thing Oculus says.

Vive Launch in December 2015 delayed 4 months and only announced days before expected launch with BS excuse that it was delayed for a "very very significant technological breakthrough" leading people to imagine 4K+ or Eyetracking and Foveated rendering or something. Turns out to be a monoscopic camera and bluetooth receiver so your game can be interrupted by a phone call. In other words a bull$hit excuse because they had only managed to produce 7000 units by the December launch date. (Those 7000 becoming Vive-Pre's to be sent to Devs instead)

All Praise Vive and Lord Gaben!!

:rolleyes: :D
    LOL, at the end of the day the Vive launched as a Full VR experience and shipping was prompt. Hats off to them.

i sense there friction between vr camps :D so console wars have come to pc hahaha surely we are above such peasantry ;):pac::D

• Advertisement

i sense there friction between vr camps :D so console wars have come to pc hahaha surely we are above such peasantry ;):pac::D

Aside from the technological superiority, the difference is between those who will valiantly uphold the sanctity of our beloved PC environment and the quislings who would sell us into walled bondage. :mad:

GSStF70.jpg

Advertisement