Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Disappointing day for Tiger fans again...

Very poor bogey, bogey start then two more bogeys soon after. Followed by a level back 9 for a total of +4. On a day where birdies needed to be made as conditions were seemingly as benign as it gets and things will only toughen up this afternoon and tomorrow. Thats him 11 shots back already (currently) and we could be looking at a struggle for the cut again.

He wasn't even hitting them out of bounds of the tee or anything. Poor iron shots which is not like him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

You can see its coming though. Really looking healthy for the first time in years and swinging full and in control. Consistent improvement evident.
    Looking good for Whistling Straits. Majors drought end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You can see its coming though. Really looking healthy for the first time in years and swinging full and in control. Consistent improvement evident.

He's "leaving a few out there", really encouraging to see that... shows that the next Major is around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

I know you're only winding people up but I'll comment anyway.

This was probably the most discouraging round he's had in a long time. The best of the weather in his side of the draw on a course where he's won twice before and Tiger had to hole several good putts on the back nine for a 76!

Quite simply, he doesn't look capable of competing at this level anymore. Also, he will probably only play three or four times more in the rest of 2015 which won't help his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Martin567 wrote: »
    I know you're only winding people up but I'll comment anyway.

This was probably the most discouraging round he's had in a long time. The best of the weather in his side of the draw on a course where he's won twice before and Tiger had to hole several good putts on the back nine for a 76!

Quite simply, he doesn't look capable of competing at this level anymore. Also, he will probably only play three or four times more in the rest of 2015 which won't help his recovery.

I think there has to come a point when it stops becoming a recovery... I'm still surprised that so many people expect a recovery, maybe it's hope more so than expectation. Maybe it's the media, they seem to be fuelling it, Tiger still sells.
    He is crocked and I it was plain as day from the onset imo... he gave his body a battering and once a (fairly old) professional's back goes then sadly it's time for the glue factory more often than not.

Below was the party line from a year and a bit ago and I'm sticking to it. I really can't see Tiger playing golf in 2-3 years.
    PARlance wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think we'll see much of Tiger over the next 10 years.
    His body has taken such a battering and sadly I think we'll just get to
    see a few failed returns, hampered by injury, before he finally calls it a day.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this being the beginning of the end for Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I still believe...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

PARlance wrote: »
    I think there has to come a point when it stops becoming a recovery... I'm still surprised that so many people expect a recovery, maybe it's hope more so than expectation. Maybe it's the media, they seem to be fuelling it, Tiger still sells.
    He is crocked and I it was plain as day from the onset imo... he gave his body a battering and once a (fairly old) professional's back goes then sadly it's time for the glue factory more often than not.

Below was the party line from a year and a bit ago and I'm sticking to it. I really can't see Tiger playing golf in 2-3 years.

With a reported $57 million mortgage, hefty alimony bill and enough contractual commitments to occupy an army of lawyers, he doesn't have a lot of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The cameras still feel they have to follow him, but it is truly awful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

There's only so much fuel in the tank and he's running on fumes. He isn't putting the time in and 200 plus in the world tells you where his game is.it's very unlikely he'll recover but may show some flashes in form but I expect that in 2 years time he'll have retired.

stockdam wrote: »
    There's only so much fuel in the tank and he's running on fumes. He isn't putting the time in and 200 plus in the world tells you where his game is.it's very unlikely he'll recover but may show some flashes in form but I expect that in 2 years time he'll have retired.

Possible. Makes it a close call then on whether he will tie or beat Jack. Four majors from nine is very plausible. Whether he will get that elusive nineteenth is a close call though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Possible. Makes it a close call then on whether he will tie or beat Jack. Four majors from nine is very plausible. Whether he will get that elusive nineteenth is a close call though.

4 Majors in 9 attempts for somebody who is over 200th in the world! Not a chance.

stockdam wrote: »
    4 Majors in 9 attempts for somebody who is over 200th in the world! Not a chance.

We arent talking about an ordinary mortal here though. The golden child might have a hot putter and the moment and be impressing people with his old head on young shoulders, but hot putters always pass.
    Tiger reckons the poor weather forecasted tomorrow will enable him to move up through the field. Dont write him out of this one yet. Whatever happens, its all part of Project Assault on the USPGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lads, I don't care what anyone says, but golf tournaments are just glum to watch without tiger (aside from seeing the Irish lads doing well) , watching most of the rest of them just bores me silly.
    Even watching the man trying to hold it together today, and hoping for the improvement to come, was of more a spectacle than all the other humdrum.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Lads, I don't care what anyone says, but golf tournaments are just glum to watch without tiger (aside from seeing the Irish lads doing well) , watching most of the rest of them just bores me silly.
    Even watching the man trying to hold it together today, and hoping for the improvement to come, was of more a spectacle than all the other humdrum.

This is true. The fascination with showing leaders, guys getting birdies, assorted honest trier Brits, amateurs, does get in the way of showing Tiger. They dont hold a candle to him. As long as he is there, he is what the folks want to see.
    He is still a brilliant and beautiful blaze across the golfing sky the likes of which we will never see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mjsc1970 wrote: »

So how do you spend your weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

First Up wrote: »
    So how do you spend your weekends?

Lol
    Not usually watching golf anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

He is still a brilliant and beautiful blaze across the golfing sky the likes of which we will never see again.

Lovely stuff SaveOurLyric - I usually keep my tears until after dark but this really got me choked up this morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We arent talking about an ordinary mortal here though. The golden child might have a hot putter and the moment and be impressing people with his old head on young shoulders, but hot putters always pass.
    Tiger reckons the poor weather forecasted tomorrow will enable him to move up through the field. Dont write him out of this one yet. Whatever happens, its all part of Project Assault on the USPGA.
    Trolling much?

It stops now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Domo1982 wrote: »
    You need to learn the difference between a bit of fun and actual trolling Mr Moderator..... sir:)

You need to learn not to question a moderators comments on a thread too

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

charlieIRL wrote: »
    You need to learn not to question a moderators comments on a thread too

Nah I'll question and comment if it suits me when the moderation is needless and weak

More in Keano's line to actually pay attention to more serious posts like number 10 in the Dustin Johnson thread than getting involved in a couple of lads have a clean bit of fun on the Tiger thread but I guess he must have missed that one.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Trolling much?

It stops now

Ahhh FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Ahhh FFS.

Another one bites the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Just breaking on twitter himself and Como have parted ways. Dunno how much truth is in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Just breaking on twitter himself and Como have parted ways. Dunno how much truth is in it...

Well it's ****e talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

MikeSD wrote:
    Well it's ****e talk.

That he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Three bogies in the first four holes. Feel sorry for the guys playing with him....distracting.

Edit: Back to level par after 10 - well fair play to Tiger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Should be 2 under in about 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Should be 2 under in about 3 minutes.

5 in a row!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Some turnaround. His ironplay is still brilliant if only he can keep hitting fairways.

Advertisement