Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Rikand wrote: »
    He's back!

.......well, one very good round......but maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rikand wrote: »
    He's back!

Is this the sign of how far he's fallen when the stock post from the Padraig Harrington thread has found its way to the tiger thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

Was talking to the oul lad lately about the big noise there was when the whole scandal broke that Golf would be ****ed without Tiger - I guess it just shows how time stops for no one; there's a whole new breed of golf superstars in Day, McIlroy, Spieth and the rest and I don't think Golf has unduly suffered from Tiger's decline.

It's incredibly sad for him though in terms of he could very well have been the best player to have played the game ever from a major honors perspective. Just let it slip.

So Tiger joint leader, and if things stay that way, he's in the Fedex.....that's incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Fair play to tiger he never gave up and most people have him written off.

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Fair play to tiger he never gave up and most people have him written off.

I wouldn't have written him off, but wasn't expecting these two rounds. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

cson wrote: »
    Was talking to the oul lad lately about the big noise there was when the whole scandal broke that Golf would be ****ed without Tiger - I guess it just shows how time stops for no one; there's a whole new breed of golf superstars in Day, McIlroy, Spieth and the rest and I don't think Golf has unduly suffered from Tiger's decline.

Golf HAS suffered without Tiger! Viewing figures for the Masters 2014 (no Tiger) hit a low that hasn't been seen since 1957!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/without-tiger-woods-golf-is-fading-to-gray-2015-04-17

Serious golf fans can appreciate the likes of Rory, Jordan, Day and Dustin but Tiger is different. He still commands interest that nobody else can generate, even after the whole scandal in his personal life. I suppose its fair enough, he essentially changed the game like no other player in the history of the sport so there will always be residual interest. Like even watching yesterdays round, its a pretty low level comp, but it was still unreal, kinda like watching golf back in the day when he was dominating, very nostalgic. The thought that he might make some kind of a comeback, to me, its more exciting than anything Jordan or Day is doing. Rory is different for obvious reasons, I would love to see him go on and make golf history of his own. Although, if you asked me which I would prefer to see, Rory getting like 10 majors or Tiger getting the record, I would defo wanna see Tiger get the record. No chance I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I don't condone any of the "mistakes" Woods has made over the past few years and, when he was killing all before him, i never had any great love for him. But his perseverance through this past year and his determination in coming back from injuries when all around him are finding it hard to look is fcking heroic in my opinion. If he turns it around and becomes competitve with McIllroy, Speith etc for the big honours again, it will be unbelievable. And another confirmation of his greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger just announced he had another back surgery 2 days ago and will sit out the rest of the year.

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/09/18/150314592/tiger-undergoes-successful-back-surgery-is-hopeful-to-return-in-early-2016/

• Advertisement

Tiger not sounding too positive about his return to golf today... http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/12/01/tiger-woods-no-timetable.html?cid=TWITTER:PGATOUR
    Tiger Woods has “no timetable” for his return to golf, he said Tuesday at the Hero World Challenge, the 18-man tournament hosted by his foundation.

Woods' pre-tournament news conference was dominated by questions about his health. His responses painted a bleak picture, though. It appears certain his absence will be a long one.

When asked about his return, Woods said, “I have no answer for that. Neither does my surgeon or my physio. There is no timetable. There is nothing I can look forward to, nothing I can build towards.”

He has not been able to begin rehab for the two back surgeries he’s had since his last start, at the Wyndham Championship in August, he said.

When asked about what physical activity he is able to do, he said, “I walk. And I walk. … I’m just walking, and that’s it.”

He said video games have been one of his main pastimes. He cannot bend over to pick up a ball when playing with his kids.

“Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?” Woods said. “I don’t know.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger not sounding too positive about his return to golf today... http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/12/01/tiger-woods-no-timetable.html?cid=TWITTER:PGATOUR

He sounds incredibly down about it. From the sounds of things, it looks like he has reason to be; He turns 40 at the end of the month, so whether or not he can come back after his surgeries only means whether he has a few years left in his career or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Re the video games, do you think he's playing Tiger Woods 2014 or Rory McIlroy 2015? :p

All the best to him, at least he can enjoy time with the kids.

Sad to see, but he's been so high profile for so long, there will always be an interest in the now fading star. Seems like he just needs to be left out of the spotlight for a bit to get himself together again, mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He should spend the next 10 years chilling out and then come back and wreck the seniors tour

Here is very open and honest interview with Tiger. Long but well worth the read.

http://time.com/tiger/?xid=tcoshare

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Here is very open and honest interview with Tiger. Long but well worth the read.

http://time.com/tiger/?xid=tcoshare

A brilliant interview. I'm glad that he agreed to being so open. I've learnt more from that interview than in the last 15/20 years.

He is a really interesting guy. I hope he makes it back and continues to play at some level. I also hope he continues to be as open in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Really good open interview to be fair to him. I think most people would like to see him return at a very high level again, to see without injury what he can still do against the likes of Rory, Spieth, Day, etc and does he still have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't want him to be asked to be this open in future interviews. I like him being candid about whatever concerns his golf. But I feel sorry for public people who are asked about their private lives all the time. I certainly wouldn't want to be asked in front of a microphone every other week or day even how my relationship with the ex wive is going. Its none of their or our business.

A good year review from Tiger and he seems slightly more optimistic from the last time we heard from him. http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/12/22/160240834/tiger-reflects-on-up-and-down-2015-and-looks-ahead-to-2016/
    I have been asked a lot lately how it feels to have played on the PGA Tour for 20 years. I live in dog years since I turned pro in 1996, so that's 140 years. It feels like 140 but also feels like five. It's amazing how fast it has gone but also how slow. I know it's a contradiction, but that's how it feels.

Several things stand out. Number one, you have to go back to my first major win, which was the Masters in 1997. How I did it, winning by 12 strokes, was so special. And then winning four-in-a-row and owning the Grand Slam, something no professional golfer has ever done. Third would probably be my 142-consecutive cuts-made streak. Consistency for a long period of time … there's a lot that goes into that. You have bad days, you have bad weeks, but to battle and endure and suck it up and get it done, I'm very proud of that one.

I think the biggest change on the PGA Tour from when I started playing is the level of focus on day-in and day-out fitness. Now, we have trainers and sports psychologists that travel with the guys.

Also the technology. When I beat Davis Love III in a playoff in Las Vegas in 1996, he had a 43-inch persimmon head driver. The transition to metal to where we are now with 460 cc drivers and 45-inch shafts being the norm, and the ball going from wound to solid construction … the technology has changed dramatically.

I had a conversation the other day with some of my friends who play golf. They're a little bit younger than me, but are amazed how much technology has changed. I said go back to when Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player and that generation of guys played. When they were in their prime and the end of their careers, technology never really changed except for the golf ball. It was always persimmon and steel. That was the reality. Now, some companies are asking guys to change equipment twice a year.

As far as 2015, it was a tough year physically and took a toll on my body. I had to battle through a swing pattern change and get that organized, because it was awful at the beginning of the year. I didn't play for the longest time because I was stuck. To come back on the hardest venue of any course on the short game at Augusta National and tie for 17th, was pretty special to get myself back into it.

The frustrating part was not being able to build on it throughout the year. To finally have it switch and turn in the last event I played at the Wyndham Championship, and then lo and behold, I can't physically do it anymore. I've had two back surgeries since then, so it's been a roller-coaster ride the entire year, from being down to some pretty darn good highs.

The thing I'm looking forward to the most about 2016 is getting back out there again. I've missed it, and I would like to do it pain-free. I haven't done that in what seems like a long time. I've had it in spurts the last few years and have done some pretty good things, but I'd like to have sustained health.

Hopefully, I'll be able to play my way onto the Ryder Cup Team. Either way, I'm excited about being an assistant captain. It will be new, fun and special. To have Davis appoint and trust me is pretty special. If you look back to when we played together in 1999 at Brookline, I don't think either one of us would have foreseen this. But here we are in leadership roles. Hopefully I can play and lead at the same time and not just be on the sideline. All of us who have been a part of any of the teams over the years, once you've experienced it, you want to be a part of it. It's really hard to describe unless you've been in one of those team rooms and know what goes on.

My friends keep asking me how it feels to be turning 40 at the end of the month and my response is, "It depends when you ask me." Mentally, people who know me know I'm like a five-year-old. Physically, sometimes I feel old and sometimes I feel like a teenager. I don't like the polar opposites of the two. I'd like to be somewhere in the middle where I feel 40.

What I love and appreciate the most about playing golf is the internal struggle. The fact that the ball is not moving; it's just looking at you and laughing at you. You have to make it move 400 yards in let's say four shots, and that to me is without a doubt one of the toughest mental struggles there is in sports. There are more physically demanding sports, obviously, but the mental task of golf is so hard. It is basically a physical chess match.

I am really looking forward to watching Stanford play Iowa in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1 on TV. I've followed the team every game. If I can't watch it live, every game is DVR'd and I've seen every play. To see what Coach (David) Shaw, Christian (McCaffrey) and Kevin (Hogan) have done … wow! They have been incredible. Unfortunately, we're not part of the playoffs, but we're playing in the Granddaddy of them all, and hopefully we'll beat the Hawkeyes.

I'm really excited about the great reviews my new restaurant - The Woods Jupiter -- has received. I'm probably there six times a week and people really seem to enjoy it. My personal favorite is the ribeye steak.

I want to go see the new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens.' I was a total geek growing up and had 'Star Wars' wallpaper in my room. My kids love it, too.

Thanks to my staff, sponsors, contributors and volunteers for helping us raise money for the Tiger Woods Foundation and all of our programs. Their hard work and dedication has enabled us to make a difference for thousands of underserved kids and help them pursue their dreams. Next year is my Foundation's 20th anniversary and to date we've served more than 135,000 kids in more than 50 STEM-based subjects and have 131 Earl Woods scholars who are predominantly first-generation college students. And we're just getting started.

I'm also grateful to my friends at Bluejack National outside of Houston. We opened seven holes of my first US course and the reviews have been great. I can't wait until the remainder of the course opens next year.

I would also like to express my gratitude to the best fans in the world. Without your support, this journey would be impossible.

Where do I see myself in the next five to 10 years? I am still playing golf at the highest level and winning tournaments and major championships. My foundation has been implemented around the globe, and we've helped out not just millions, but when I'm all said on done with my life on this earth, it will hopefully be billions.

Happy Holidays and best wishes in 2016.
    Tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tiger at Bears club half swinging wedges.......

373156.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Jawgap wrote: »
    Tiger at Bears club half swinging wedges.......

It must be tough living in Florida where you have to wear a polo shirt in December :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

It must be tough living in Florida where you have to wear a polo shirt in December :(

I was wearing one the other week here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I was wearing one the other week here.

Before sunrise?

Apparently, Tiger was out just before dawn and gone 30 minutes later.

Encouraging clip today given recent rumours about Tiger

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCK-maEy8fZ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Encouraging clip today given recent rumours about Tiger

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCK-maEy8fZ

Man... how awesome would it be to have one of those in the house?? :pac::o:eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Purely my own speculation but I think we will see Tiger back for The Players next month. (Qualifies as a result of his 2013 win)

Thinking about what other events he will be eligable to play for during the summer.. he would hardly rely on sponsor's invites? He could also play the Memorial at the start of June and then there is the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Joe.ie had an article up last night which was a rehash of the Time interview from a few months ago. They said that he is currently unable to walk.

Such a pity that so many people believe the tripe articles that they put up. Only one person in the comments spotted that it was fake. Actually, make that only one person bothered to pay attention and click on the Time article.

Looking forward to seeing him back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I reckon if Tiger could have remained fit, he would have been the greatest golfer ever!!!.

Advertisement