Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Nice to see a happy Tiger for a change. Hopefully he can keep himself thereabouts, get into the weekend and make for interesting viewing.

He would actually have to win this to get into the WGC I think which is mad to think about even. For the same reason he won't feature in the playoffs so while he still has a lot of exemptions he's facing the struggles of a lowly tour pro who has to find events he can play in. Hell he might even come over and try to play European Tour events, wouldn't that be something?

Edit: Although surely he couldn't just walk into those either. Was only thinking since our playoffs start way later and there are still regular events maybe he could be given sponsor's exemptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That was a great comeback for Tiger last night - great to see! Looking forward to tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

vienne86 wrote: »
    That was a great comeback for Tiger last night - great to see! Looking forward to tonight!

He is out at 8:10am local so we won't get to see any of his round. Fresh greens though...will be interesting to see if he can post a low number.

Apart from a poor opening tee shot, Tiger's game today looks very good indeed. Really should be a few under but the putts aren't dropping for him.

And commentator's jinx as his next tee shot is a duck hook :D 161 yards with his driver... it's hard to know where shots like that come from after watching him hit it flawlessly in the previous few holes.

• Advertisement

Ye made bogey on the lone par 5 on his front 9 which is the back 9. Immediate bounce back with a birdie 3 on the next though.

5 under now, 2 under for today, through 11. Go Tiger! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Could make top of the board yet, however briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Tiger -7 now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To fair to him I think according to media reports he had an okay event at the event he played before the open.

So hopefully that's a sign of better things to come

• Advertisement

Finished with a 66 - great round. Now on -8 for the tournament - right in the mix.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Finished with a 66 - great round. Now on -8 for the tournament - right in the mix.

357002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Long way to go in this tournament for Tiger I feel. That shot he hit on 14 yesterday shows that he's still away from winning tournaments imo. Signs are promising but id be very impressed if he shot another round in the 60s today but can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

medic087 wrote: »
    Long way to go in this tournament for Tiger I feel. That shot he hit on 14 yesterday shows that he's still away from winning tournaments imo. Signs are promising but id be very impressed if he shot another round in the 60s today but can't see it happening.

I agree with you. Lately when he makes the cut the third round lets him down, I can see him shooting around 73 today. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's on the comeback.

Tiger back to swinging a million miles an hour off the tee which is resulting in his army golf. Nice steady, smooth swings left back on the range.

Seve finally finds a fairway on 8. A miracle that he hasn't dropped a shot yet.

Double bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

1st birdie of the day at 15 - up to this point the only player in the field without a birdie. Now back to -5.

He's hitting a good few fairways again but I still don't like the way he's swinging. Looks like there's too much hit.

Really disappointing round from Tiger - I was really looking forward to watching him today - ugh!

What an incredible shot to finish off.

• Advertisement

3 birdies in row to get back to -8. Must be kicking himself about yesterday. Even a 71 would have had him in good shape now.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

zuutroy wrote: »
    3 birdies in row to get back to -8. Must be kicking himself about yesterday. Even a 71 would have had him in good shape now.

No other sport would challenge someone like golf. Tiger is one of the greatest ever to play the game. His first 2 rounds after a shaky start were top class. He is feeling good and he tells everyone his swing is where he wants it to be.

He plays the third round off the tee like an amateur. His short game, however, is sublime. You can hear it in Nick Faldo's voice - why can't he just find a way to get it 280 yards straight off the tee. Thousands of good amateurs are capable of this single task. Once he is in play everything is fine.

Now he comes out today and he is -3 after 5.

Golf truly is a mysterious game.

5 under after 10 holes today

This shot was just something else...

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/627892689506189312

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

HighLine wrote: »
    This shot was just something else...

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/627892810813829120

Insane recovery. Would have loved to seen that from the blimp.

Did one if the commentators mention green shoots??? Maybe....

Anyway, Tiger still in the doldrums in world ranking....262nd. He has played so few events, it's going to be a long hard climb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

But with few points to 'lose' as they age it could be viewed it's easier for him to rise back up with points gained from here forward....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    But with few points to 'lose' as they age it could be viewed it's easier for him to rise back up with points gained from here forward....

True. The divisor is 40 though, but he has actually only played 25 tournaments, so that brings down his average. It will be a while before he gets back up to 40 tournamets played.

Advertisement