Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Really interesting piece below, it really was phenomenal how good he was at his peak.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios

Thanks, excellent article with some really interesting stats ie Lee Westwood no 2 in most consecutive rounds with at least one 3 putt and Luke Donald's stats with most consecutive sand saves are frightening good.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

HighLine wrote: »
    I watched both his Friday and Saturday rounds so was full witness to the carnage that it was. I was saying in the other thread, that the driving was probably the worst I had ever seen from Tiger... and that's a fairly impressive achievement!

All that said, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people at the US Open. Chambers Bay is a fairly open course so Tiger will get away with not being so accurate off the tee and I think his short game woes on Saturday was just a temporary blip as a result of his head being fried. I'm going with a top 15... feel free to quote me :D

Quoting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Quoting you.

Good man. I'm surprised you didn't add your trademark :rolleyes: face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just reading there, this year tiger has shot more rounds in the 80s than he has in the 60s. i know he hasn't played an enormous amount of golf, but its a pretty nasty stat either way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Good man. I'm surprised you didn't add your trademark :rolleyes: face.

Take your medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

Terrible to watch. I was always divided on whether I was a fan, but I'd definitely like to see him make a comeback sometime soon. Would be awful to see such a career end in this fashion if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'll say something about Tiger - he doesn't give up! Fair play to him in that respect. It would be like going out to play in front of your whole club shooting 26 points for a few big tournaments in a row. At this stage, I hope he returns to form. Like him or loath him when he's on form it's amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

newport2 wrote: »
    Terrible to watch. I was always divided on whether I was a fan, but I'd definitely like to see him make a comeback sometime soon. Would be awful to see such a career end in this fashion if it continues.

I think it was hard not to be a fan for his dominance. It would be like being a soccer fan and not being a fan of Lionel Messi.

As David Feherty said in a piece on the golf channel before... of the 10 best shots he's ever been there to witness on course. Tiger has played 11 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

kiers47 wrote: »
    I think it was hard not to be a fan for his dominance. It would be like being a soccer fan and not being a fan of Lionel Messi.

As David Feherty said in a piece on the golf channel before... of the 10 best shots he's ever been there to witness on course. Tiger has played 11 of them.

I was always a fan of his golf. His dominance ruined a lot of tournaments for me watching though, for years it was over before the final round started and the others were playing for second place. Much prefer watching 5-6 people go into the final round with a chance. That's no criticism of Tiger by the way. Whenever Messi's playing at his best the other team is still in with a shout!

• Advertisement

I was always a fan of his golf. His dominance ruined a lot of tournaments for me watching though, for years it was over before the final round started and the others were playing for second place. Much prefer watching 5-6 people go into the final round with a chance. That's no criticism of Tiger by the way. Whenever Messi's playing at his best the other team is still in with a shout!

Fair point.

Tbh i enjoy watching guys streak away from the field as much as seeing the close battles down the stretch.

Sports for me need 1 or 2 superstars to keep it interesting. :)

kiers47 wrote: »

As much of a tiger fan that I am the best shot I ever saw someone playing was Oosthuizens albatross in the masters. Everything about it, the swing, the strike, the result - it was just pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Boskowski wrote: »
    As much of a tiger fan that I am the best shot I ever saw someone playing was Oosthuizens albatross in the masters. Everything about it, the swing, the strike, the result - it was just pure.

Really? I don't think it was that special. The whole green slopes down towards the hole and every year a few shots go very close when that pin position is used.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Really? I don't think it was that special. The whole green slopes down towards the hole and every year a few shots go very close when that pin position is used.

I suppose that's true I'm just a big fan of Oosthuizens swing and a perfectly struck long iron that is long and true with a touch of draw is just a thing of beauty in my opinion. This one was all of that. Bit like a 30 yard bullet that just zips into the top corner ever so slightly clipping both crossbar and post. Goalie rooted to the spot watching in awe. I just love that kinda stuff and Oosthuizens shot is something I dream at night about doing myself. Some day maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

One of the things i do dislike about tournament golf if someone is playing so good the field has no chance at catching.

Its the same when rory won the us open you admire his great golf but as a spectacle its just hard to watch.

Why can't Tiger take a swing like below into the actual event? So much slower and more controlled and guess what.... not a fairway missed.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/616292257415561216

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Why can't Tiger take a swing like below into the actual event? So much slower and more controlled and guess what.... not a fairway missed.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/616292257415561216

Maybe he has today smile.png -2 after 6. Driving accuracy 100% eek.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

He's back

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He's back

Haha you beat me to it!!! :rolleyes:

Just looking at shot tracker he has hit his first 6 fairways and green of par 3.

Good to see.

• Advertisement

And another bird on his 7th... after a fairly lengthy "Tiger line" 300+ yard carry over water to leave himself with a mere flick of a wedge. -3

And another bird on his 7th... after a fairly lengthy "Tiger line" 300+ yard carry over water to leave himself with a mere flick of a wedge. -3

And then drives into the water on 17!!

I had a feeling he was going to be better this week. Apparently didn't hit a ball since chambers bay but went on holidays with his kids instead. If that doesn't relax you I don't know what will.

Isn't the Greenbrier where Stuart Appleby shot 59 to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I had a feeling he was going to be better this week. Apparently didn't hit a ball since chambers bay but went on holidays with his kids instead. If that doesn't relax you I don't know what will.

We should try organise for Padraig to go on holiday with tigers kids

Sounds like back to normal on the 6th hole.. all over the shop.

But recovered well to finish with 3 birdies in a row for an opening 66 (-4).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

You've never been on holiday with kids, have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

very good first round for him,considering how he has being playing lately.. it would have been a nice round to watch id say.

Advertisement