Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Players gonna play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger nailing down his schedule for next few months after The Players

"See you at the US Open, Open Champ, Memorial, Greenbrier and my Foundation’s event, the Quicken Loans National. Going to be a busy summer."
    http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/04/29/121240458/tiger-announces-plans-to-play-in-five-upcoming-tournaments/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger nailing down his schedule for next few months after The Players

"See you at the US Open, Open Champ, Memorial, Greenbrier and my Foundation’s event, the Quicken Loans National. Going to be a busy summer."
    http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/04/29/121240458/tiger-announces-plans-to-play-in-five-upcoming-tournaments/

He's playing 6 tournaments in 3 months (May, June, July). Not that busy for a normal Tour pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Lindsey Vonn has just announced on social media that herself and tiger have broken up.
    wrote:
    After nearly three years together, Tiger and I have mutually decided to end our relationship. I will always cherish the memories that we've created together. Unfortunately, we both lead incredibly hectic lives that force us to spend a majority of our time apart. I will always admire and respect Tiger. He and his beautiful family will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will he do a Rory now and blitz the rest of the year!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Ah sure if an unnamed friend told The Daily Mail then it must be true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

shabalala wrote: »

Ah, The Good Old Daily Fail

A nameless, faceless, non-existing woman that he definitely cheated on lindsay vonn with.

Sure, they dont even know what golf is ...
    To make matters worse, Tiger suffered another loss on Saturday. The former No. 1 player in the world now ranks No. 125 as he was eliminated in Round 4 of The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.

Eliminated

Round 4

Saturday

Case. Closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Cant believe people still read that tripe. Its an absolute farce!!

A small gesture that will probably have a big effect for this child.

Tiger Woods Writes Letter to Bullied Boy Who Attempted Suicide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Fair play to him for doing that letter. People often quick to judge sport stars, Ronaldo another who people say is arrogant etc, yet donated 7-8 million recently to a childrens charity. Ive noticed a more openness to Tiger lately, even in the interviews. Pity his driver club face is still too open!

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Fair play to him for doing that letter. People often quick to judge sport stars, Ronaldo another who people say is arrogant etc, yet donated 7-8 million recently to a childrens charity. Ive noticed a more openness to Tiger lately, even in the interviews. Pity his driver club face is still too open!

Yeah that's a good point... similarly with Michael Schumacher who quietly donated $10 million to the Asian tsunami relief fund. I guess negative stories sell more papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm now beginning to think that's it. He's going to pack it in more or less.
    Last weekend another low point in his career. Struggled for the cut and then shot an 85 on a perfectly conditioned course in fine weather. A course he won on numerous times before. Cut was below par, others were shooting 65s and 66s.
    He's like one of us now. One day the chipping is kack, few weeks later that's back to good then the driver goes. It seems he's not playing and practicing enough, like he's only a part time golfer.
    I wonder is it it just gone and he simply can't find it even though he's trying with all his might or is the commitment and the dedication gone, is his heart simply no longer in it and he's stopped really trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I'm at a stage where I'm thinking the same. Irrelevant of if he's a likeable guy etc, it's genuinely sad to see him struggle like he is, I think Sunday typified it when he was dead last and due to numbers had to play round on his own.

I don't understand why he can't find a set up or driver that suits, I mean Phil had the Frankenwood etc that was developed for him. Then you wonder is it that he hasn't the physical movement anymore after his injuries and previous explosive swing. I'm just hoping its all down to his recent split up, and he finds something.

It's strange but recently on his third rounds (moving day) he's moving backwards. The next month or 6 weeks will tell a lot, chambers bay and St. Andrews, hopefully he finds something, ala Padraig Harrington!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

JIdontknow wrote: »
    ...I think Sunday typified it when he was dead last and due to numbers had to play round on his own.

They send a lucky guy as a marker out there with him don't they? As a non competition playing partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Boskowski wrote: »
    They send a lucky guy as a marker out there with him don't they? As a non competition playing partner.

They normally just nominate one of the marshals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Boskowski wrote: »

The next time he is playing by himself at the back of the field then he should give me a call.........could be a close match (obviously not)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Walking off after Sunday's round. If you can't feel for this guy your understanding of the human condition is fooked.

Large photo.
    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/06/08/sports/08CROUSE/08CROUSE-superJumbo.jpg

08CROUSE-blog427.jpg

I watched both his Friday and Saturday rounds so was full witness to the carnage that it was. I was saying in the other thread, that the driving was probably the worst I had ever seen from Tiger... and that's a fairly impressive achievement!

All that said, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people at the US Open. Chambers Bay is a fairly open course so Tiger will get away with not being so accurate off the tee and I think his short game woes on Saturday was just a temporary blip as a result of his head being fried. I'm going with a top 15... feel free to quote me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Wombatman wrote: »
    Walking off after Sunday's round. If you can't feel for this guy your understanding of the human condition is fooked.

Or maybe it is balanced? Seriously, the guy is no good at golf any more, and that's about it. Some perspective is needed here. Most of the great careers end in a way that the golfer finds difficult. He'll get over it, I'll use my empathy on other things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Wombatman wrote: »

Large photo.
    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/06/08/sports/08CROUSE/08CROUSE-superJumbo.jpg

08CROUSE-blog427.jpg

I started to feel for him, but then I realised he has a gazillion dollars and 14 major championships

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I watched both his Friday and Saturday rounds so was full witness to the carnage that it was. I was saying in the other thread, that the driving was probably the worst I had ever seen from Tiger... and that's a fairly impressive achievement!

All that said, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people at the US Open. Chambers Bay is a fairly open course so Tiger will get away with not being so accurate off the tee and I think his short game woes on Saturday was just a temporary blip as a result of his head being fried. I'm going with a top 15... feel free to quote me :D

Have you been to chambers bay??

I have, its not in any way wide open, its incredibly punishing offline, a lot of fairways are set at an angle so both shot shapes are needed.... Tiger has no clue what direction its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The observation I heard about Chambers Bay is that he won't need to use driver a lot.

His 3w aint too good either...... nor are his irons, or his short game.

Have you been to chambers bay??

I have, its not in any way wide open, its incredibly punishing offline, a lot of fairways are set at an angle so both shot shapes are needed.... Tiger has no clue what direction its going.

I haven't but I have listened to what the pros have to say about it. I asked Billy Horshel if it was a bomber's course to which he replied (paraphrasing) "It all depends on how they set the course up but it certainly could be a bomber's course. The fairways are wide with generous landing areas but the tricky part will be where you place your drives"

You can hear Billy talk about it here also.. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/horschel-talks-chambers-bay/

Greg Normal also said..
    “My first impression is just the massive scale of it, the really wide fairways and massive green complexes, (and) the undulations that are taking place on those green complexes,” Norman said. “It’s going to take a player more than two rounds to understand this golf course.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/04/27/3763296_greg-norman-warns-golfers-to-shape.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

And from the following article.. http://sportspressnw.com/2202238/2015/thiel-chambers-bay-a-golf-run-for-thinkers-only
    Instead of narrow fairways of fir sentinels, Chambers Bay has the widest fairways in Open history, some as wide as a football field is long.

I haven't but I have listened to what the pros have to say about it. I asked Billy Horshel if it was a bomber's course to which he replied (paraphrasing) "It all depends on how they set the course up but it certainly could be a bomber's course. The fairways are wide with generous landing areas but the tricky part will be where you place your drives"

You can hear Billy talk about it here also.. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/horschel-talks-chambers-bay/

Greg Normal also said..

And from the following article.. http://sportspressnw.com/2202238/2015/thiel-chambers-bay-a-golf-run-for-thinkers-only

:rolleyes: A current strength of Tiger?? As i said its exceptionally punishing offline, the fact you have to be precise with placement on fairways says you need to hit a certain side of a fairway, thus narrowing the target area..... Ive played it, its going to be scary for someone who has no idea if the ball is going right or left.

Did I read somewhere that after Friday's round he hit 7 full bag of balls on the range and left with bleeding blisters, he was never one to complain re injuries so if true that could go somewhat to explain Saturday's round...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

slave1 wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that after Friday's round he hit 7 full bag of balls on the range and left with bleeding blisters, he was never one to complain re injuries so if true that could go somewhat to explain Saturday's round...

..... what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Really interesting piece below, it really was phenomenal how good he was at his peak.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    ..... what??

Okay, perhaps what I mean is he's played plenty of times with nagging injuries and played through tournaments without mention, his broken leg for example when he knew it was a big risk and he would be out for an extended time afterwards. Withdrawal injuries e.g. back are a different nature

Advertisement