Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Graces7 wrote: »
    As in stop dead? Oh dear! No getting past them?

what does get past is of very little use in terms of snowfall. anyway don't have to worry about that when showers coming from the north west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Great image here. But we see the Storm for North East USA to bring epic snowfall.

Also just look at those winds coming down off A VERY FRIGID Greenland. These then race across the Atlantic toward us at great speed. An Arctic blast not to be underestimated here. Plenty of robust Snow showers will cross the land.
    Accumulations for many. GET READY.

336526.gif

Redsunset wrote: »
    Great image here. It's large, can't resize till later. SCROLL ACROSS TILL IT'S RESIZEDMaybe another Mod can do this. But we see the Storm for North East USA to bring epic snowfall.

Also just look at those winds coming down off A VERY FRIGID Greenland. These then race across the Atlantic toward us at great speed. An Arctic blast not to be underestimated here. Plenty of robust Snow showers will cross the land.
    Accumulations for many. GET READY.

Would they not be modified by the Atlantic? when is scheduled date or arrival?

Your always going to get Atlantic modification thats why it's called a Polarmaritime flow from that dirrection, but windspeed will help our cause here.

Redsunset wrote: »
    Your always going to get Atlantic modification thats why it's called a Polarmaritime flow from that dirrection, but windspeed will help our cause here.

Just curious as to when you expect these showers to make it across the atlantic to us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Thanks Maquiladora,

I can save my excitement for the rest of you based on that chart - looks like the midlands will fare the worst in terms lack of snow :-(

Enjoy the next few days guys - I can be exciting waiting to see what is coming your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Havent read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been answered, but what type of snow can Dublin expect? Will it stick etc? Sandyford /Dundrum( ha sorry if too specific with the area)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Anything from 0cm to 5cm is possible. These events are notoriously hard to predict. If I was to have a guess I'd say a dusting for most of Dublin (1cm) with Sandyford getting 2-3cm. Biggest snowfall in Tyrone (12-15cm on lower ground) with least snowfall on exposed coasts. Then again, with a slight change, it could work out like last week with snow mainly on hills and sleet at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ken76 wrote: »
    Havent read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been answered, but what type of snow can Dublin expect? Will it stick etc? Sandyford /Dundrum( ha sorry if too specific with the area)

No point in getting into that detail now. Cold is coming, going to feel bitter in the wind. It will be Radar watch from Wednesday afternoon and keep an eye from reports to the northwest of you.

I am a total novice here (just a snow lover) so excuse the possible stupidity of this question for those in the know. Is there any chance we will see anything here from Storm Juno hitting the US?
    Blushing already as I know daft that question sounds...

• Advertisement

MissMoc wrote: »
    I am a total novice here (just a snow lover) so excuse the possible stupidity of this question for those in the know. Is there any chance we will see anything here from Storm Juno hitting the US?

see redsunset's post above. possible we might get the remnants as to what that might be i would suggest very difficult to predict at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No point in getting into that detail now. Cold is coming, going to feel bitter in the wind. It will be Radar watch from Wednesday afternoon and keep an eye from reports to the northwest of you.

it is bitter cold out there now already.. been out with the dog and am wheezing from the cold..raw wind ,, but all the washing dry, what has stayed on the line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Met office snow warning for Nothern Ireland. "5-10cm even for low levels". I suspect they will upgrade to amber tomorrow.

MissMoc wrote: »

No question is daft.. if you dont ask you don't learn.. I am sure the techies will have the info you seek. My family over the water are waiting on the storm and we do often get backlash or leftovers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Met office snow warning for Nothern Ireland. "5-10cm even for low levels". I suspect they will upgrade to amber tomorrow.

I suppose amber is more diplomatic than an Orange warning.

what does get past is of very little use in terms of snowfall. anyway don't have to worry about that when showers coming from the north west.

Well, looking at these great high lumps of rock from my kitchen window.... a wonder anything gets past them ;) They are truly impressive...

Just read the met forecast and am shivering ahead. Ah well... we will survive and win through.

Level 1 status given, will eventually go 2 as it nears due to high risk of blizzard like conditions at times especially in North, North west hills and lower which should lead to some significant accumulations of powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Redsunset - high risk of snow in South??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

leahyl wrote: »
    Redsunset - high risk of snow in South??

Or the East specifically Carlow???? Cause I swear last time I have saw more dandruff fall then snow!!!!!!

I need snow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z HIRLAM out to 6pm Wednesday has snow mostly limited to the northwest and north with only trace amounts elsewhere at that point anyway.

Graces7 wrote: »
    No question is daft.. if you dont ask you don't learn.. I am sure the techies will have the info you seek. My family over the water are waiting on the storm and we do often get backlash or leftovers ;)

well said graces.. "remember there are no mistakes. only valueable lessons"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

12Z HIRLAM out to 6pm Wednesday has snow mostly limited to the northwest and north with only trace amounts elsewhere at that point anyway.

The obligatory downgrade has begun for the rest of us not in those regions..:cool:

which site are you using for that Maq?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wonderful thanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The GFS looks fine still - but bit concerned they are taking this Cork Snow Shield a bit seriously! No basis for this from what I can see of precipitation / uppers / dew points / thickness etc but lets see.....

15012812_2606.gif

The obligatory downgrade has begun for the rest of us not in those regions..:cool:

I don't think it's a downgrade. The north/northwest is always going to get the most out of this. The same way that the east does best from an easterly.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement