Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light sleet has turned to light snow (but big flakes) here (in Dublin 16).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Snowing in Dublin 9. Not sure it will stick but it's definitely coming down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Aerohead wrote: »
    Snow in Galway

Mmm briefly and not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Still coming down in tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like rain on Monday on the 06Z GFS apart from NI and high ground. Chance of some snow showers again later /Tuesday though.

gfs-2-96.png?6?6

gfs-0-108.png?6?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I really wish we could have 2 threads for these events, one for people to say it's snowing, post pictures etc, and another for more detailed discussion around the models! So annoying having to shift through half of the it's "snowing here".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Showers seem to be dying out now from the west, i expect the snow here to be gone fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Most of ye reporting snow arriving have got a cm and yet ye are already offering sacrifices on the altar for polar maritime air. I'm looking at you WB! A true easterly will give colder air masses for the whole country as well as streamers like we saw today and really cold air makes sliding lows possible. But I admit that what I'm saying is spiced with personal preference and there is plenty to look forward to with northwesterlies or even northerlies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Where is Gonzo when you need him to pronounce NW snow is no good :D

it's snowing here now but it's still not really great! mostly light, very small flakes what we have so far and not really sticking, needs to be much heavier to start sticking on the very wet ground!

Still it's nice to see that there are some flakes coming down and all the way from the west. Doesn't change the fact that Im hungry for something from the continent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Posted on the Irish Weather Online FB page just now. Snow in Cavan.

4FvVg3.jpg

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I really wish we could have 2 threads for these events, one for people to say it's snowing, post pictures etc, and another for more detailed discussion around the models! So annoying having to shift through half of the it's "snowing here".
    Just book MarK a link to show all posts by the posters that explain and forecast and you're sorted
    That's what I do :)

Only sleet here in S Wicklow now being only on the bottom edge of the preciip train running through this county

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

On-and-off snowing/sleeting here in South Dublin for the past quarter of an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Most of ye reporting snow arriving have got a cm and yet ye are already offering sacrifices on the altar for polar maritime air. I'm looking at you WB! A true easterly will give colder air masses for the whole country as well as streamers like we saw today and really cold air makes sliding lows possible. But I admit that what I'm saying is spiced with personal preference and there is plenty to look forward to with northwesterlies or even northerlies.
    Ha
    I'd prefer north easterlies here too but only with lower than -8 850 temps better fetch
    Dublin and Meath/S Louth are actually in my experience the only parts of the East with a long enough fetch in an easterly

Temps will have to drop by 2c for an event Mon tuesday not to be confined to high ground/well inland

Raining in Arklow now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

More organised band of showers approaching the NW coast travelling SE

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Light snow falling in Greystones. Not sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Snowing constantly here (Sandyford) for the last half hour. Very small flakes but constant. As my 11 year old says it's really trying!! Temp 1c. 3rock well covered before the cloud came down. Keep the faith guys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow a bit heavier now, decent sized flakes at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Snow in Balrothery/Balbriggan not sticking though....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Temps will have to drop by 2c for an event Mon tuesday not to be confined to high ground/well inland
    Kinda an imby question, but what's looking like the definition of "high ground" for Monday and Tuesday? 200m+, 250m+ or higher again?

For what it's worth, around 8.30 this morning, the snowline was around 250m asl. Roundwood was clear, but it was sticking to the roads out on Calary (near the Sugarloaf).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Kinda an imby question, but what's looking like the definition of "high ground" for Monday and Tuesday? 200m+, 250m+ or higher again?

Usually 200m+

Light snow here atm (in Dublin 16). 1.4c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Snowing again in Tinahely just not constatnt enough to stick nice flakes too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Snowing in Dublin CC. Bursts of heavy stuff mixed with light stuff. Coming down pretty well but not sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Snowing constantly now in D3 for near 20 minutes. Melting away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just took a walk through the fields beside the house - 165m up - the muffled silence was awesome. The soft crunch of fresh snow, the pure air. It's not that cold. The dog had great fun bounding through the snow. This is what snow should be. Dry, soft and fresh. The slush, ice and dirt by the road is a different matter and I pity anybody who has to drive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

hollster2 wrote: »
    Where are you icesnowfrost?

North drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Very scary drive into work in Cavan town this morning. A usual 20 minute drive took 65 minutes. The power just went in our office also.

stopped again, slight dusting on the ground but starting to melt already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A quick video capture of a snow shower that passed a few minutes ago. Sorry about the crap quality of my camera. :(

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

5 min drive north of drogheda to fieldstown and it's like a winter paradise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

5 min drive north of drogheda to fieldstown and it's like a winter paradise

jealous much not one bit:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement