Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Naas had heavy snow for over an hour that had begun to stick but it's been clear the past half hour & thawing away.
    Big gaps now on the radar, normally showers would be picking up this time of the day so it's strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nothing sticking in dub. grounds too wet. hitting the ground and gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just wondering if that low pressure is the main low or a "Polar type low forming?" It seems to be forming and moving south quite quickly?

336848.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

snaps wrote: »
    Just wondering if that low pressure is the main low or a "Polar type low forming?" It seems to be forming and moving south quite quickly?

336848.jpg

hmmmm... intresting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The12thMan wrote: »
    hmmmm... intresting

The main low as far as I can see from the charts is sitting just off the West coast of Norway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

336848.jpg

It certainly looks like it.

xVyoSl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very impressive looking, but I would have my doubts that it is - at least in its pure form, as you would normally get polar lows developing with fully fledged Arctic streams. Having said that, it could well be a more 'diluted' version of one, but would leave that to the experts to decide.

4KUfdB.jpg

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Snow in Cabra in the last hour :D

Not sticking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

looks like a split off from main low....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Snowing at University of Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Snowing in Castletroy, Limerick! :D

I withdraw my previous post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Gorgeous blue sky now in Dublin CC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Must only been some kid with aeroboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nothing in Waterford just sh1tty rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

336848.jpg

It's a secondary low. It's on the models. They show it coming down over Ulster and into the Irish Sea this evening bringing a mix of rain/snow to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Snowman built. Most snow I've seen here since ...well can't remember but even more than the cold winters of 2010 etc.
    2 miles East of Shercock Co. Cavan.

20150129_091215_zpse2f4aa98.jpg

20150129_091919_zpse86482ed.jpg

20150129_091621_zps19d59f43.jpg

20150129_091506_zpsba9a2b5f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I was really hoping we would wake up to something like this again :(

pity we still have to go back to 2010 for the really good pics (for the moment!!!);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Raining on the coast in South Donegal. Winds have eased considerably compared to yesterday's severe gusts. The Ben Bulbeck range in North Sligo has a snowy sleety mix but considering the setup and forecast aren't very white. I was given a formal warning the other day in here about being pessimistic as I felt the current spell was being hyped and yet I was right not to get hyped. 90% of populated areas in the north west or North have not seen heavy lying snow. Now about next week... people are talking about big blizzards. It's the media hyping it up and I think one problem is that lazy journalists pop in here and see some of the more sensational forecasts and use them to sell papers and scare the public. One more thing, I have never insulted or offended anyone in here. I may be a bit pessimistic but seriously after the recent run of over hyped forecasts form all agencies and experts can I be blamed for being sceptical ? I'm a Joe public... not a meteorologist or weather expert.

It's a secondary low. It's on the models. They show it coming down over Ulster and into the Irish Sea this evening bringing a mix of rain/snow to the north.

Some tightly packed sferics being picked up ahead of it that seem to be making their way towards Donegal.

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bluestack mountains sw donegal

336855.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

YFlyer wrote: »
    Snowing at University of Limerick.

Still snow free in my location 10k from Limerick city centre out on the Tipperary road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Possible that another batch of more steady sleet/snow showers is on the way in during the next few hours.
    Might even make it to the far SE around guess around 2pm? Midlands maybe at 12:45 circa.
    Bit more of a NW/N source than yesterday. Radar snap 11:30_2015.01.29

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Few quick photos before I go and face the roads.

WP_20150129_009.jpg

WP_20150129_014.jpg

WP_20150129_013.jpg

O poor cat! Let in in the house, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

That short 5 minute snow shower here in Castletroy, Limerick had a crazy start, massive gust of wind preceded it taking the fairly big, kids activity slide yokey half way across the garden with it!

Then all of a sudden quite heavy snow out of nowhere.

Weather you crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Snowing heavy here in Swindord Mayo. Have to travel back to Sligo in next hour wondering if it's the same there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Pity there's so much less cold air wrapped up in this low, could have seen well over a foot in parts of the North if we had snow today and tomorrow instead of a rainy mess, seeing as some posters here (cavan) have seen 8-9''. Ah sure!

Snow showers, if anything, seem to be becoming more frequent here. Nothing substantial sticking, but more snow falling that I really expected today for this area. I am not complaining though.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Graces7 wrote: »
    O poor cat! Let in in the house, please!

He was! I couldn't get him back in he loved it only 7 months old.

Edit: Moderate snow falling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

legomaniac wrote: »
    Raining on the coast in South Donegal. Winds have eased considerably compared to yesterday's severe gusts. The Ben Bulbeck range in North Sligo has a snowy sleety mix but considering the setup and forecast aren't very white. I was given a formal warning the other day in here about being pessimistic as I felt the current spell was being hyped and yet I was right not to get hyped. 90% of populated areas in the north west or North have not seen heavy lying snow. Now about next week... people are talking about big blizzards. It's the media hyping it up and I think one problem is that lazy journalists pop in here and see some of the more sensational forecasts and use them to sell papers and scare the public. One more thing, I have never insulted or offended anyone in here. I may be a bit pessimistic but seriously after the recent run of over hyped forecasts form all agencies and experts can I be blamed for being sceptical ? I'm a Joe public... not a meteorologist or weather expert.

90%? You certainly have surveyed a lot of areas for living on the coast so quickly. Lots of areas in the Ulster got snow. You said the other day you haven't seen proper snow since 2000 so given your coastal location I don't understand you are surprised you didn't get snow. There is more to Ireland that your local area. Highland radio and Donegal daily are reporting snow across the county and I myself have snow albeit not much compared to other areas but a covering nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

lovely snow thismorning but sunny now. still very cold i think there will be a few heavey snow showers this afternoon in the north and east. but will it stick ????????????????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement