Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

South Kerry 400 ft asl.... same old, same old as yesterday but more vicious and bitter in cold. Wet white out from the west, and we now have some atop the mountains, then sun...The wind is a scimitar, slicing at face and hands. Range lit and stuffed with as much fuel as I can fit in it but making little impact on the cold in the house. I have on a thick, thick serious navy sweater I was given.. YOU know the type with leather shoulders and elbows and am still cold. The power has flickered once but I am fine if it goes as I have the range and gas,, PLEASE seek out elderly neighbours; hypothermia is insidious. My two , each over a mile away, have folk to go in and I am fine.. OH WOW! Serious snow for a minute there... sideways on! Just seen a wee yellow bird coming down to seek food...awwww....No photo yet until something worth it...sleety stuff now... dark dark dark! Serious white out,, sending this before power goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Graces7 wrote: »
    South Kerry 400 ft asl.... same old, same old as yesterday but more vicious and bitter in cold. Wet white out from the west, and we now have some atop the mountains, then sun...The wind is a scimitar, slicing at face and hands. Range lit and stuffed with as much fuel as I can fit in it but making little impact on the cold in the house. I have on a thick, thick serious navy sweater I was given.. YOU know the type with leather shoulders and elbows and am still cold. The power has flickered once but I am fine if it goes as I have the range and gas,, PLEASE seek out elderly neighbours; hypothermia is insidious. My two , each over a mile away, have folk to go in and I am fine.. OH WOW! Serious snow for a minute there... sideways on! Just seen a wee yellow bird coming down to seek food...awwww....No photo yet until something worth it...sleety stuff now... dark dark dark! Serious white out,, sending this before power goes

Thats like a post from Lost :)
    Enjoy the snow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Temp has dropped from 4c to 0c in the last hour here in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

The Met have updated warnings for NI today. Yellow warnings each day till Monday. Slack on detail though and seems to be that there will like the update to Amber at times ( hopefully ). They were spot on yesterday with the Amber warning. Newry and the surrounds got a good few inches last night and heavy again this morning. Driving through Ravensdale was like being in the Frecnh Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A big, black Mayo shower as seen from NE Galway just now. Really moving in fast.

6XXGYZ.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Blue clear sunny Sky in Portlaoise here it's cold tried to snow a little earlier but came to nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lithium1376

Coming down nice and heavy again in Roscommon. Earlier snow shower all melted but the ground is starting to turn white again! :))

First photo is the same view as the second.. wet- out! t89c9d.jpg

20s8z9t.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Graces7 wrote: »

Grace, wearing layers will do more to keep you warm than the sweater - by all means wear the sweater too but put on a good few layers underneath. Layering helps keep warm air close to your skin and prevents heat escaping much better than a heavy sweater.

• Advertisement

Mountains to the west av0g43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Some impressive showers across the mid West.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Blizzard in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gorgeous view looking to the hills. Absolute eye candy. Think i'll go for a cycle

Yeah that's where I live.

I have to agree, was in the city yesterday and it looked beautiful.

From about an hour ago...

https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_Met/status/560760911179567104

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

its snowing in west cork......

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Will Dublin get hit again in the next hour?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Grace, wearing layers will do more to keep you warm than the sweater - by all means wear the sweater too but put on a good few layers underneath. Layering helps keep warm air close to your skin and prevents heat escaping much better than a heavy sweater.

Many thanks but believe me the sweater is atop several layers! Lived in cold place a loooooong time ;) And a a veteran market trader...Warming up now and with a brace of HWBS.. I have ME and we have poor temperature control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Glorious snow day here(Nrth Meath/Cavan border). Have about 4/5 inches lying.
    Slight thaw with blue sky about 12pm but snowing now again and the sky is full of it.
    Got a half daycint snowman built and the kids got a snow day.
    Can't ask for more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I went to bed last night with a couple of centimetres on the ground and woke up to around 3 to 4 inches of snow this morning :). The roads have gone pretty slushy but it's lasting well (Dungiven, Derry).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

FWVT wrote: »
    Ulster really got the bulk of the action, with 26 cm of lying snow at Lough Fea (225 m) and 17 cm at Glennane (161 m) this morning. Their automatic stations continually reported snow in their hourly synops. The instruments are pretty accurate, so the Ballyhaise report was probably correct at the time of observation. If there was snow between observation hours then that will have been missed. We don't know at what time that person was at Ballyhaise so we can't check.

Out of interest, where do you get these values, FWVT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Was raining really hard here in Athlone and then went quiet.
    I presumed it was just that the rain had stopped but just now I looked up at the sky light and it;s covered over with snow :)
    Will check at a proper window what it's like outside now at lunch but I doubt it's sticking based on how much rain fell just before it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Blizzard in Athlone

Any photos as the radar returns are fairly impressive. I presume it's sticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gorgeous view looking to the hills. Absolute eye candy. Think i'll go for a cycle

I live on those hills...

I was in the city yesterday and it made the place look even more beautiful with the backdrop of the snow covered hills.

From about an hour and a half ago or so..
    https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_Met/status/560760911179567104

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Sorry can't post pics, just starting to stick now

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Zzippy wrote: »

Yes start off with a Merino wool base layer. I use them for cycling and they are great.

Might have them in the outdoor shops in Kilarney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Batch in coming for just N of Dublin (Airport) in the next hour, maybe also one heading towards the Wicklow Hills.
    These two streams may just skim past either side of the town centre though...

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=
    1230.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Thunder here in Murrisk, West Mayo. Odd sleet/snow flurry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Saturday looks a lovely cold day all day, not a massive amount of precipitation around unfortunately, maybe some in the north and west in the evening time, but what does fall would fall as snow in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Snowing very lightly in South Wexford at the moment but not sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Batch in coming for just N of Dublin (Airport) in the next hour, maybe also one heading towards the Wicklow Hills.
    These two streams may just skim past either side of the town centre though...

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=
    1230.png

The radar overlay looks wrong in your image. the precipitation is much further west in reality. Sorry Dublin but it's going to deliver little or nothing in Dublin city and suburbs :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement