Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Good covering here in Monaghan this morning...some country schools closed but not enough to cause any chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Very windy at times back here in Dingle peninsula with heavy rain showers mixed with a bit of sleet. nothing sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Finally got first decent snow shower in west roscommon. Sticking too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

FWVT wrote: »
    I was referring to Hotwhiskey's post at 23.42 last night. I see now that he said he was there at about 4 pm. At that time temp/Dp were +1.6/+0.6, meaning the wbt was around +1.3. Check the hourly reports from and you will see that snow was reported at wbt of below +0.5.

WBT determines the lowest cooling around the surface of a melting snowflake, so if it is much above zero then the flake will melt for longer.

It was about 4.10 to quarter past the hour FWVT when I arrived and it was snowing at that stage. Picking up my daughter from college and about another 200 students can verify. But it had stopped 20 mins later around 4.30. I dont know if the times i have giving are any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Drogheda

Looks like Termon Abbey by the picture.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sticking to the roads now outside Monasterevin (I'm pulled in,)

Although it's pretty much stopped

idYa2MeEj

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Expect snow reports from Dublin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Nothing came from this event in Galway disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    It was about 4.10 to quarter past the hour FWVT when I arrived and it was snowing at that stage. Picking up my daughter from college and about another 200 students can verify. But it had stopped 20 mins later around 4.30. I dont know if the times i have giving are any help to you.

Ok so maybe 15 mins after observation, in which time the shower would have had time to cool the air sufficiently below what was measured. As I said, the automatic sensors are pretty accurate and only in fog can they become confused. If they're not sure then it reports Unknown Precip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Nice snowflakes falling in Tinahely but not sticking :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This is how the GFS is projecting the track of Monday's low. 850 temps not great but still could give produce some intensity induced snow. Snow would be more of a risk once the low pulls away. However, the track of this particular low is all up the air at the mo, but might be worth keeping an eye on for now.

5hWpkm.png

PS, Snow pretty continuous here now at varying degrees of intensity.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Light snow in Dublin 13 now near the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

We have a whiteout in Athlone. The flakes are so big and so thick and falling so fast. Even on the saturated ground, the snow is sticking hard out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Absolute whiteout in Tuam now, snow is sticking quite readily.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very heavy snow here now, snowing on and off since 7.30, good few cm's on the ground but, ive feeling if the sun appears it will disappear fairly quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I've managed to get the time machine going,landed yesterday by accident a few times but we should all be in Thursday morning now if I pressed the right buttons?
    I am working on a snow machine,it's proving difficult and mis firing randomly in the Dundalk direction,but hoping to perfect it by Monday Tuesday, if that's ok?
    No promises :D

Meanwhile snowing moderately here near Arklow at the moment,dinner plating it now I think is the word ? 2.8/-0.1
    The whole train affecting Ulster has and is drifting south

One thing we have learned in the past 48 hrs is the models are far from telling the full story so what happens Monday is very very uncertain but hopeful?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light sleet here (in Dublin 16). 1.9c Dp 0.7c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Snow in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Snowing quite heavily in Portmarnock/malahide, county Dublin....not sticking yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Big fluffy centimeter sized flakes falling in Slane. Been on and off all morning and is sticking well everywhere bar the roads. Whiteout too and i can see trees about 500 metres away.
    Kids gone to school a little disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Any risk to air traffic through tomorrow night? I am due to fly back into Dublin early Sat morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Snow shower in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Bucketing down here in Coolock,not sticking though but bloody baltic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Snowing lightly in D14!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Where is Gonzo when you need him to pronounce NW snow is no good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Snowing at Dublin Airport, Not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Where is Gonzo when you

him to pronounce NW snow is no good :D

Snowing heavily now in Portmarnock, dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

Light snow in D9 not enough to show up in a pic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Those flakes are pushing 2cm now and go from falling straight to blowing from the northwest.
    The tableometer in the garden is showing about 2cm depth. Road outside is white with tyre marks showing the black road surface. Flake size is now gone small again. How does that happen? What process is at work there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Heavy enough rain where I am turned to sleet shortly after but pitiful. N/W/S/E to me reporting snow.

Crazy, there must be a tiny pocket of warmer air over me to have this luck! Holding out for another hour or two but I'm not hopeful, too warm out there.

S.Kildare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement