Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

In Manchester and its bucketing snow at the moment - will try to post some pics later

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Snowing VERY HEAVILY in North Meath - I'd say 2cm lying snow now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lithium1376

Snow falling in Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon now. Heavy shower, lovely big flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Snowing in navan too. Thankfully hasn't stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anyone up near Derry direction have a report on current conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

we got pasted here last night. 3 or 4 inches laying now and still chucking it down. roads are a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Loads a snow. Cavan. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very watery sleet shower in west Clare atm

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

Watery sleet in bray atm. Hoping we get a little more than this later..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Snowing fairly thickly (initially rain/sleet) now at 39 m asl.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had a walk out and lane from our house is blocked.
    Officially a snow day here !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

redsky7 wrote: »
    Watery sleet in bray atm. Hoping we get a little more than this later..
    hopefully , if we do I hope it's later so I can get out of the city haha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann ignoring Kilkenny in their snow/ice warning, we have a few cm of snow on grass, ice and a light covering on roads/concrete, maybe due to south Kilkenny and Kilkenny city. North Kilkenny has snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

M1 is very bad north of Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

FWVT wrote: »
    Ulster really got the bulk of the action, with 26 cm of lying snow at Lough Fea (225 m) and 17 cm at Glennane (161 m) this morning. Their automatic stations continually reported snow in their hourly synops. The instruments are pretty accurate, so the Ballyhaise report was probably correct at the time of observation. If there was snow between observation hours then that will have been missed. We don't know at what time that person was at Ballyhaise so we can't check.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03979&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2015&mes=01&day=29&hora=06

It is wet-bulb temperature, not dewpoint, that is most important for snow. If wbt is much above zero then snow will probably melt. WBT is around 1/3 of the way between temperature and dewpoint, so even with a dewpoint of -2 it probably won't snow if the temperature is +2 °C as the wbt will be about +0.7 °C. So to be absolutely sure of snow I would rewrite that table yesterday as

Temp.........Dewpoint
    +3...............-6
    +2...............-4
    +1...............-2
    +0...............-1
    -0................anything
    I'm not sure what exact "Ballyhaise" report you're referring to, but it's an unmanned station. Presumably for statistical and QC purposes, it can't record snow unless its a physical certainty.

I'm surprised by the +2/-2 example as it really has always snowed with such conditions and would stick, excepting roads. I still maintain that from what I've read, dewpoint is still the most critical factor in whether it snows. Wet bulb comes into it for me to see how it will accumulate or not. Its I suppose a pedantic point but certainly snow will be the precipitation with any kind of negative dewpoint in virtually any case with air temp below 3 degrees.

In other news, there has been a very healthy snow shower here in south Louth which has taken a tufty inconsistent 1cm covering to 3cm now. Looks beautiful in a gentle westerly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

vickers209 wrote: »
    Met have gone to an orange alert for monaghan and cavan and updated there yellow warning

dont know how limerick managed to miss out on that warning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

North Louth. Stuck in the house, quite rural, due to two road accidents in one direction and an impassable hill covered in slushy snow in the other. No worries in that fuel supplies would cover 3 months and food is good for at least 2 weeks - not that this won't be gone very soon. It's now snowing again and windy. Not overly cold - as often happens with snow.
    The south west were hunkering down but we got the weather!
    I'm glad that snow lovers got what they wanted but, as someone in his seventies, my concern is to ensure I don't fall and to figure the handiest way of clearing the paths and driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sadly the precip is going to turn steadily to rain or sleet from the north.. 850 wet bulbs go to 3 or 4 for a time in the north.

Looks like there will be one of the most major snow events in last few years (barring 2010) on Monday/Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Still snowing in North Meath/Kingscourt - beautiful! Defo a Snow Day here ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Wow 10 min ago nothing then look out window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like there will be one of the most major snow events in last few years (barring 2010) on Monday/Tuesday.

Haha, I wouldnt get my hopes up, the atlantic throws all sort of crap at us:P
    Mt and Met Eireann's forecasts are contradicting for monday.

If the forecast stays consistent until at least friday night, I would then go buying my snow shovels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Wow 10 min ago nothing then look out window

Where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Few quick photos before I go and face the roads.

WP_20150129_009.jpg

WP_20150129_014.jpg

WP_20150129_013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

dont know how limerick managed to miss out on that warning!

Limerick will never get a warning from MetE again after all the drama from the last wind event/nonevent. We're in the bad books for giving out! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Heavy in tullamore and sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Ye can't say that and not give more details :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sadly the precip is going to turn steadily to rain or sleet from the north.. 850 wet bulbs go to 3 or 4 for a time in the north.

what's the thoughts on monday/Tuesday ?
    cause at the moment , the met arnt getting too excited with their forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Snow me hole.
    Woke up excited to see snow and nothing but a wet road.
    Stupid snow always misses us

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

y-u-tease.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ye can't say that and not give more details :eek:

He is potentially correct but with caveats. Full details later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement