Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 guitd

Rain in galway City as normal so much for the forecast earlier in the week that the west coast were in for a "Pasting" of snow this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Light Rain in South Dublin now- had that short burst of snow about 40 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Ye can't say that and not give more details 

Read the FI thread...you'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ye can't say that and not give more details :eek:

I am so used to character limits that I like to keep my forecasts broad and with little detail:D

Two feature possible next week..

A shortwave drops down the country on Monday, potentially giving a spell of snow... There will be a snow-rain boundary somewhere in the southwest.

Then just after this a trough/polar low type feature is expected to drop south. Exact detail on this is very difficult, but it is a very interesting feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For those on mobile data with bills to pay, can we all post lovely links and attachments instead of IMG tagged photos?!

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Wow 10 min ago nothing then look out window

Where are you icesnowfrost?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like there will be one of the most major snow events in last few years (barring 2010) on Monday/Tuesday.

That's a brave call! Looks like mostly rain apart from hills/mountains on the ECM to me.

150129_0000_108.png
    150129_0000_108.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

kenmc wrote: »
    gutted. winter tyres went on mountain bike last night in anticipation. maybe later. have to go disappoint a sleeping 2 year old now :(

Imagine the joy then at 8:20 when we opened the front door to go to work/creche.
    "SNOOOOOW SNOW YUM YUM CYCLE CYCLE CYCLE CYCLE"

#definitelymine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I am so used to character limits that I like to keep my forecasts broad and with little detail:D

Two feature possible next week..

A shortwave drops down the country on Monday, potentially giving a spell of snow... There will be a snow-rain boundary somewhere in the southwest.

Then just after this a trough/polar low type feature is expected to drop south. Exact detail on this is very difficult, but it is a very interesting feature.

You will wish you were here for the next few hours:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

hollster2 wrote: »
    Where are you icesnowfrost?

Drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

North Louth. Stuck in the house, quite rural, due to two road accidents in one direction and an impassable hill covered in slushy snow in the other. No worries in that fuel supplies would cover 3 months and food is good for at least 2 weeks - not that this won't be gone very soon. It's now snowing again and windy. Not overly cold - as often happens with snow.
    The south west were hunkering down but we got the weather!
    I'm glad that snow lovers got what they wanted but, as someone in his seventies, my concern is to ensure I don't fall and to figure the handiest way of clearing the paths and driveway

Take care Keyla Damp Mocha - us Snow Lovers can forget how dangerous these conditions are for some - keep warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Bucketing down snow in Tullamore. Can't post pics as I don't have enough posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Woke up to heavy snow in Cavan town.
    At least 3cms on the ground & still coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Snow shower just now in Westport. Heavy and way better than anything yesterday. Near the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snow in south Sligo - stuck to the ground and all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The White Gold is falling in Newbridge

Annnnnd its stopped .....

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Fairly heavy shower in castlebar last 15 mins
    BgY9PKX

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Woke up to heavy snow falling in Athlone - it's only just stopped there now. Sadly it hasn't really stuck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's a brave call! Looks like mostly rain apart from hills/mountains on the ECM to me.

150129_0000_108.png
    150129_0000_108.png

Track is still very much up in the air. Even with that chart though, there is snow on the eastern side of the low. A rain/sleet mix to the west. (not my opinion, EC precip type prediction!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I'm not sure what exact "Ballyhaise" report you're referring to, but it's an unmanned station. Presumably for statistical and QC purposes, it can't record snow unless its a physical certainty.

I'm surprised by the +2/-2 example as it really has always snowed with such conditions and would stick, excepting roads. I still maintain that from what I've read, dewpoint is still the most critical factor in whether it snows. Wet bulb comes into it for me to see how it will accumulate or not. Its I suppose a pedantic point but certainly snow will be the precipitation with any kind of negative dewpoint in virtually any case with air temp below 3 degrees.

In other news, there has been a very healthy snow shower here in south Louth which has taken a tufty inconsistent 1cm covering to 3cm now. Looks beautiful in a gentle westerly breeze.

I was referring to Hotwhiskey's post at 23.42 last night. I see now that he said he was there at about 4 pm. At that time temp/Dp were +1.6/+0.6, meaning the wbt was around +1.3. Check the hourly reports from and you will see that snow was reported at wbt of below +0.5.

WBT determines the lowest cooling around the surface of a melting snowflake, so if it is much above zero then the flake will melt for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

just measured 8cm snow on car roof. showers still coming through here.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Looks like there will be one of the most major snow events in last few years (barring 2010) on Monday/Tuesday.

Looks like it could be a west/east divide for that one if it happens as currently predicted. Being in the west I won't get too excited yet. Something to keep an eye on though, as we get closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

5844.gif

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

And the white gold is lashing down now in Newbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Decent snow shower on way to work in west Galway but nothing on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

sleety flakes starting to fall in leopardstown d18 again

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Cavan has about 2 inches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wee bit of snow on the drive in this morning (SW Donegal)

336836.jpg

336837.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Orange warning for Cavan/Monaghan 3-6cm until 3pm today. Nice covering outside but nothing in comparison to two weeks ago

• Advertisement

Starting to stick to the grass in the Curragh now

exUfMmt6j

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement