Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No contraception, no dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

[QUOTE=was.deevey;93825539]I'd probably agree that there should be a minimum threshold of income prior to having kids - why on earth would you want kids if you cant (on your own dime) put food on the table ?

And many couples do

The ugly truth.[/QUOTE]

Oh god bwahaha :D
    Do you get how idiotic, not to mention dangerously close to bourgeois that comment is?
    An income threshold among working class/low income earners to have a family?
    Getawayouttadat :D:rolleyes:

99% of the people I grew up with and family/friends etc all had parents scrapping by(it was the 70's/80's).
    Pittance incomes for them and generations before them.
    Should they not have had families?

Actually, I have changed my mind....that comment lies firmly in bourgeois territory.

Thread reminds me of some rte tv show where some fella was screaming and roaring that the ''gubbermint " wouldn't give him and his family a bigger house. I'm sure he had 7 or 8 kids.

I saw a similar one on RTE except it was a primary school teacher and her farmer husband with SIX children giving out about his cuts in subsidies and her state paid wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Smidge wrote: »
    Oh god bwahaha :D
    Do you get how idiotic, not to mention dangerously close to bourgeois that comment is?
    An income threshold among working class/low income earners to have a family?
    Getawayouttadat :D:rolleyes:

99% of the people I grew up with and family/friends etc all had parents scrapping by(it was the 70's/80's).
    Pittance incomes for them and generations before them.
    Should they not have had families?

Actually, I have changed my mind....that comment lies firmly in bourgeois territory.
    THB it's a bit selfish to intentionally bring children into the world in a situation where the family is going to be struggling financially. In cases where there's a change in circumstances or a pregnancy is unplanned, that's a completely different story, everyone needs help from time to time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

How about a bonus of €100 for every kid you make. It could be like a game, with the top players getting a big cash prize and the results being announced on RTE every week. We could regrow the population to what it was pre Famine. Everyone would be encouraged to have more sex and be in better moods. Crime levels would probably go down.

Could even let prisoners in on the act. Let the well behaved male prisoners mate with the female prisoners, consenually obviously. This in turn could bring in millions of revenue in sex tourism, the biggest growning section of the tourist industry. I dont see any issues arising. This country needs to get into this century and be more progressive.

macyard wrote: »
    The copper coil does not mess with hormones, the new male injection will have the same effect as that once it comes in, both are long lasting and reversible so if you get a job it can be undone.

Copper coil is available now for women

An IUD stops sperm from reaching the egg. It does this by releasing copper into the body, which changes the make-up of the fluids in the womb and fallopian tubes. These changes prevent sperm from fertilising eggs. IUDs may also stop fertilised eggs from travelling along the fallopian tubes and implanting in the womb.

Hmmm, copper.
    Released into the body so much so that it changes the bodies natural functions.

Sounds perfectly normal and healthy :pac:

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    THB it's a bit selfish to intentionally bring children into the world in a situation where the family is going to be struggling financially. In cases where there's a change in circumstances or a pregnancy is unplanned, that's a completely different story, everyone needs help from time to time.

IDK how old you are, but this has been happening..well...forever.
    UNTIL this generation.
    No-one I knew had wealthy or at best comfortable parents, yet they all had kids.

This generation seems to think that money is the key to everything.
    Social status etc and now having kids ffs.
    Its slightly OT but that comment made me laugh with its half baked notions.

In an ideal world, we would all be "comfortable" when having children but having said that my folks income was very modest to say the least(as was most peoples at the time).
    I like to think Im the better for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

IDK how old you are, but this has been happening..well...forever.
    UNTIL this generation.
    No-one I knew had wealthy or at best comfortable parents, yet they all had kids.

This generation seems to think that money is the key to everything.
    Social status etc and now having kids ffs.
    Its slightly OT but that comment made me laugh with its half baked notions.

In an ideal world, we would all be "comfortable" when having children but having said that my folks income was very modest to say the least(as was most peoples at the time).
    I like to think Im the better for it :)
    I never said that one should be wealthy prior to bringing children into the world. However, having a child is a pretty big decision. Taking ones financial situation into consideration beforehand would be pretty standard I would have thought.

I'm struggling to see what your point is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Typical Australian ignorance bordering on Nazi attitudes. It really is a vile country populated by ignorant bigots.

They should get their own house in order given the way they've treated the Aboriginal people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The ability to reproduce should be strictly controlled and regulated by the State.

As a minimum, prospective parents should be required to undertake IQ tests and demonstrate minimum income levels prior to being allowed to have children.

Failure to comply with these requirements should result in heft fines and/or imprisonment for both partners and forced abortion of the foetus.

Insane post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A family of 2+2 gets 19,354.80.
    Very disingenuous to give the figure of €32,000 as not everyone gets RA.

Go back and use the figure of €19,354.80 for people who find themselves unemployed with a MORTGAGE and go from there.

Its this kind of pitting people against one another that has us in the state we are in tbh.
    If there is soooooo much money to be had at claiming from the state, why isnt everyone packing up their jobs to do so?
    Because its utter rubbish and hyperbole and quite frankly life trolling.

€19,354 + €8-10 k average rent supplement still gives yo nearly €30,000 +

And that's before your and child benefit or medical card costs

If your that desperate to call that trolling maybe you need to toughen up a little because the truth hurts ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

myshirt wrote: »
    Truly and genuinely... what the flying f#ck... is this thread a joke? Surely the bulk of you cannot be serious...

It looks like they are serious im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The ability to reproduce should be strictly controlled and regulated by the State.

As a minimum, prospective parents should be required to undertake IQ tests and demonstrate minimum income levels prior to being allowed to have children.

Failure to comply with these requirements should result in heft fines and/or imprisonment for both partners and forced abortion of the foetus.

Heil Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Terrible idea. Forcing someone to take medication against their will is not a world I want to live in.

And as for the forced abortion idea..... :rolleyes:

I don't agree with SW as a lifestyle choice but if you don't provide it the children suffer, they are the innocent ones.

I'd prefer to see some positive encouragement. Maybe have a basic SW limit and give additional monies to those who take up training/college etc. If we could provide proper childcare it would help a lot of those parents on the dole/single mums get back into education and work. Full time childcare is more than the cost of an average mortgage each month so how the hell do you expect someone on welfare to cover it when couples where both work struggle?

The problem with welfare is that is often is a trap, people can't get out of it and its those with young kids who are hit the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Instead of handing out cash, I'd like to see the government here hand out vouchers for Irish made goods.
    Money has to go around to end up in workers pockets, even if that means handing it to non workers. But if it's not spent in this country, it has to be borrowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This is a great idea, especially for the long term dole spongers who have no intention of actually working to earn a wage. I'd also add a cap on child benefit to this (again for the long terms). You get child benefit for the first child you have, then you are excluded from receiving any additional child benefit for 5 years. This would very quickly put a stop to those who view repeated pregnancy as a cash cow to be milked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

DarkJager wrote: »
    This is a great idea, especially for the long term dole spongers who have no intention of actually working to earn a wage. I'd also add a cap on child benefit to this (again for the long terms). You get child benefit for the first child you have, then you are excluded from receiving any additional child benefit for 5 years. This would very quickly put a stop to those who view repeated pregnancy as a cash cow to be milked.

All that would do is further deprive children who are already pretty deprived. It's not like child benefit covers the cost of raising a kid anyway.

Do you really think that there are many (any?) women out there who repeatedly get pregnant simply so they can claim child benefit? Do you have any examples of this because I really think these people don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of the child benefit to.....benefit *the child*?

It's well and good to say, 'Hey - we paid for your first kid, and you had another, you are on your own.'

But what does that mean for the two children? In 15 years - what kind of young adults do you imagine those children will grow into? Do you think you'd want them to move in next door to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

UCDVet wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of the child benefit to.....benefit *the child*?

It's well and good to say, 'Hey - we paid for your first kid, and you had another, you are on your own.'

But what does that mean for the two children? In 15 years - what kind of young adults do you imagine those children will grow into? Do you think you'd want them to move in next door to you?

The parents not the money is whst shapes them, more then likely if the parents are on the dole all their life no matter how much the gov gives them you won't want to live beside them.

Maybe the english system of removing the kids at birth from the worst ones might work best

Gatling wrote: »
    €19,354 + €8-10 k average rent supplement still gives yo nearly €30,000 +

And that's before your and child benefit or medical card costs

If your that desperate to call that trolling maybe you need to toughen up a little because the truth hurts ,
    Are you honestly saying that you believe that mortgage holders and local authority tenants get rent supplement!?!?!?

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that you believe that mortgage holders and local authority tenants get rent supplement!?!?!?

Where did mortgage holders come into this .

Nothing in this thread mentioned mortgages and social housing tenancies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I think we should just get rid of women. /all the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

COYVB wrote: »
    You honestly reckon people would turn to crime instead of taking the pill?

No, The side effect of no money will lead people to crime. People will not go without food for long without turning to crime. So what would you do ? under 10k to give them the dole or what upwards of 60k to have them in prison well prob more with legal costs and so on. It's idiotic to think give them vouchers or this or that will not lead to massive amounts of crime.

Gatling wrote: »
    Where did mortgage holders come into this .

Nothing in this thread mentioned mortgages and social housing tenancies

Your claiming everyone on JSA gets an average €10000 rent allowance. Or are you claiming everyone on JSA. Is in private rented accommodation. Either way according to you all families on the dole are on €30000+
    Your 100% wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

Your claiming everyone on JSA gets an average €10000 rent allowance. Or are you claiming everyone on JSA. Is in private rented accommodation. Either way according to you all families on the dole are on €30000+
    Your 100% wrong

I am on the dole, applied to convert my mortage to rent scheme by the council, once it goes through next month I will not have to pay my mortage anymore or rent and have a 4 bed house as a person with no kids. If I did not have the mortage I would be getting rent allowance or have a council flat, guess the mortage worked out good in the end as I would never get a 4 bed with garden in a nice area if I applied without the mortage to rent scheme. They will cover the last 4 years of mortage arrears also.

Your 100% wrong

That's just for 2 adults and 2 kids
    rent supplement is €8160 for Dublin

Show me where I'm wrong
    And I'm pretty sure I said 8-10 on rent supplement .
    And we all know more kids equates to higher payments including rent supplement.

And I don't make claims I back up my statements with the figures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

No contraception is 100% effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

"AFRICA NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE CHILDREN TILL IT SORTS OUT ITS FOOD SHORTAGES"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The mindset of who is responsible for the children has to change.

Agreed, but what is happening is that they are being made the state's responsibility (Having to provide for them)

Is the state not allowed to change it's mind ?

We aren't talking about the working voting majority causing the issue here. It is a very select sliver of society who are actually milking the system. Don't get me wrong, single mothers need support, and for the most part they are fully deserving of it, but when a conscious decision can be made to live this way, then the government has a responsibility to its voters to take some sort of steps to prevent it.

I'm not certain that forced contraception is the answer, perhaps not acutally handing over cash and giving personal issued food stamps instead is a solution that may help cut down on substance abuse. A bonus system for those that quit smoking, and an incentive system for those that do use contraception might be steps in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Oh hai, Eugenics Bill! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

One leg on the floor like snooker should be mandatory.

Advertisement