Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No contraception, no dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Pregnancy is not always a choice

Worst case Scenario, Abstinence is a choice, Pills, implants etc ... all exist and do work most of the time - The idea surrounding this is that when you are already an existing state burden and decide have a child, it will not benefit you.
    condoms or the rhythm method in the list of approved methods of contraception.

However there would be no way to prove either method was used in the case of a pregnancy while claiming SW, hence the reason I mentioned the implant which is required to be removed surgically - thus giving proof the device failed if pregnancy occured if contested.
    forgive me, I assumed that when you suggested a couple could choose whatever contraception they liked, you meant they could choose whatever method of contraception they liked, and not only from the subset of chemical contraception, responsibility for which falls on women.

Yes I mean anything they like - the implant example (it was only an example) gives one of the highest pregnancy protections and the easiest for the woman to prove was in-fact in use at the time the unexpected pregnancy occurred and thus, social welfare would then be allowed for that child.

If guys had some means of getting a temporary "Chemical Snip" I would also suggest that as an alternative, however I don't believe that is currently the case.

But yes in hindsight any contraception could be used so long as the financial burden of the unexpected pregnancy will not be shouldered by the state.
    Nor have you addressed the idea that in fact, state sanctioned forced medication is not the hallmark of a mature society.

There is no forcing of medication, it was only an example as outlined about as a means of proof of trying NOT to have a baby or else everyone would just be claiming "the condom broke"

If you think the rhythm or condoms methods works for you, go for it, like rabbits if needs must. BUT don't look for additional Social welfare payments when that method fails and you have no prescription, surgery or sex tape to back up your story.
    Why stop there, why not include low paid workers as part of this.
    For example if the paye\prsi\USC deductions are less than your current child benefit, then contraception for you also.

Honestly I'd just scrap it and bundle it into the tax free allowance - there should not be a shortfall, I know there is currently, but there shouldn't be.

Bottom line is that people who have jobs (of any sort) should be able to afford things that people on the dole cannot - that includes kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Gatling wrote: »
    How about they stop child benefit and extra payments for children ,

Grand so, You will be happy paying 100% cost to the state for schooling also yes ? Sure it's peoples idea to have children why should your tax money go on anyone's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Would you allow the government to tell you if you could have a child as that's basically what's being proposed. Or is this only for the lower class.

No I'm saying people should have the common sense themselves.

Unfortunately it's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

was.deevey wrote: »
    Bottom line is that people who have jobs (of any sort) should be able to afford things that people on the dole cannot - that includes kids.

The basis of this proposal is a cost saving measure, and if the low paid are not net contributors to the tax system they should be subject to the same policies as other non net contributors. There shouldn't be a exemption just because you paid a fiver in tax last month.

Yes the low paid should be able to afford things that the unemployed do not.......but having children is not things, and if they cannot afford them, they shouldn't have them anymore than someone on the dole.

Would you allow the government to tell you if you could have a child as that's basically what's being proposed. Or is this only for the lower class.

I'd probably agree that there should be a minimum threshold of income prior to having kids - why on earth would you want kids if you cant (on your own dime) put food on the table ?

And many couples do

The ugly truth.

• Advertisement

yipeeeee wrote: »

Yup that is unfortunate, Why we have crazy health and safety laws too. There is no magic bullet for any of this. Or other EU states would have no issues with unemployed single parents and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

An awful lot of people in this these seen to have missed the fact that it's not about stopping payments to large families, but rather ensuring they get no larger while they can't afford it. Nothing too wrong with that IMO.

It wouldn't affect the mother of 5 whose husband recently died, nor the family with the recently redundant couple. Only those who take no steps to avoid getting having more children while their only income is from the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Yup that is unfortunate, Why we have crazy health and safety laws too. There is no magic bullet for any of this. Or other EU states would have no issues with unemployed single parents and so on.
    Dunno about your last point.

COYVB wrote: »
    An awful lot of people in this these seen to have missed the fact that it's not about stopping payments to large families, but rather ensuring they get no larger while they can't afford it. Nothing too wrong with that IMO.

It wouldn't affect the mother of 5 whose husband recently died, nor the family with the recently redundant couple. Only those who take no steps to avoid getting having more children while their only income is from the state.

And how would you like to foot the bill for the Massive increase in crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

It's a pretty stupid unrealistic suggestion, and would be basically impossible to implement. I mean, what about single women on the dole? They get forced against their will to put hormones into their body to get paid? What happens when some woman dies from a blood clot as a result of being put on the pill against her wishes?

I would be all for getting rid of child benefit and instead using a system like in America, where parents are given cheques that can only be used on formula, nappies, groceries, etc. It should be means tested in some way too.

I also think all forms of contraception and all medical appointments relating to contraception should be completely free for everyone (I think this is done in the UK already.) Whatever the cost, I imagine the state would still end up making huge savings on the reduced welfare payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

However there would be no way to prove either method was used in the case of a pregnancy while claiming SW, hence the reason I mentioned the implant which is required to be removed surgically - thus giving proof the device failed if pregnancy occured if contested.

You really are clueless. This is exactly why there is a problem. The only traceable options are hormonal ones which you suggested could be traced through medical card claims.
    There is no forcing of medication, it was only an example as outlined about as a means of proof of trying NOT to have a baby or else everyone would just be claiming "the condom broke"

The only methods of contraception which match your requirements for traceability involve state sanctioned medication and target women only.

This idea of forcing people to take a hormonal contraception is gender specific and discriminatory. Not only that, hormonal contraception is contraindicated for some people. Forcing people to take medicine like this for economic rather than health reasons is an idea that is so utterly stupid I cannot believe someone came up with it. And before you bleat once more that if there was an equivalent for men, you'd sanction that too, deal with the reality that right now there isn't.

Oh and don't bother saying that this isn't state sanctioned or forced. If you link it to state benefits or welfare support, it is forced and state sanctioned.

Again, the primary method by which you can reduce the risk of the poverty trap is through education, education support and opportunity improvement.

The basis of this proposal is a cost saving measure, and if the low paid are not net contributors to the tax system they should be subject to the same policies as other non net contributors. There shouldn't be a exemption just because you paid a fiver in tax last month.

Taxpayers, however little they pay are in-credit with the country as a whole. Even if thats just a fiver, they are not in-debt of the initial 188 per week + child benefit. (I would not allow benefits for workers to outweigh total deductions however).

Its not just cost saving, its could also be country standard raising in the long term (a generation or two maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Havent read the whole thread, I am sure there are some very valid arguments in it.

Just wanted to contribute to the "its a good idea" team.

I think it is a brilliant idea. I know of several women living in North Cork who have had children with the sole aim of going on benefits.

Sickening bunch. We need progressive moves like this in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

>Enters thread
    >Sees link to the Daily Fail
    >Walks away shaking head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Any fact based statistics on this or is it just my brothers cats dog knows a guy who knows a guy sure their all at it. And I bet they all get free sky hd

Something like that. Just because I don't have documented evidence I think we all know what goes on. This report took me 5min to find. Pg 7 shows in 2012 11,900 reports were made of people claiming and working, I'm sure there are far more working & claiming that were reported.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/dsp_fraud_initiative_progress_report_to_end_dec_%202012.pdf

TheSheriff wrote: »
    We need progressive moves like this in Ireland.

This is not progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

rob316 wrote: »
    I would imagine its against your human rights to be forced to take contraception in any circumstance.

you have a choice: take contraception & the welfare money, or no contraception & no money

na1 wrote: »
    you have a choice: take contraception & the welfare money, or no contraception & no money

That's not actually a choice if the alternative is not eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

na1 wrote: »

In other words, "take potentially dangerous hormonal medication, or starve to death".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Calina wrote: »
    This is not progressive.

I disagree. What you see as progressive is not necessarily how everyone else sees it.

• Advertisement

TheSheriff wrote: »
    I disagree. What you see as progressive is not necessarily how everyone else sees it.

The idea of medicating a section of the population for economic grounds, and doing it on a gender discriminatory basis comes under the heading of totalitarianism.

Grand so, You will be happy paying 100% cost to the state for schooling also yes ? Sure it's peoples idea to have children why should your tax money go on anyone's.

Education is key, one of IRL resources is our educated workforce attracting hi tech, pharma and finance industries.

Put it this way. A child gets "free education" from the state. When that child starts working they will contribute hopefully 40yr's of tax, many multiple times the "free education" benefit he/she received.

Education is far from free, books, "voluntary contributions" , then at 3rd level exam registration fees. Far from free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

hollster2 wrote: »
    Why has this thread gone to attacking single mothers?? I was working and my partner (now ex) was working at time I got pregnant I stayed home with baby and he worked, Weve 3 children and unfortunatly im by myslef now I get lone parent this is not by choice its the situation im in, Im living with my parent at the moment no 50inch plasma like someone said, Ive a college degree behind me, not all of us choose to sit on are bum all day grabbing off the state id love to be out working but at the moment im being a mother and a single one at that some of you are so obnoxious dont be so quick to judge people!

if you had read the whole thread you should be able to see that nobody on here is against people who are in situations like yours or similar , people who were in stable relationship with regular income and for whatever reason circumstances changed, in fact this point was made by a number of posters. What people have the problem with is the kind of ones ' the sherriff ' referred to above , fresh out of school and start a family with no earned income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

if you had read the whole thread you should be able to see that nobody on here is against people who are in situations like yours or similar , people who were in stable relationship with regular income and for whatever reason circumstances changed, in fact this point was made by a number of posters. What people have the problem with is the kind of ones ' the sherriff ' referred to above , fresh out of school and start a family with no earned income

I did read it and there were a few saying it I understand that point of it maybe just be being sensitive some comments were making me feel crap that im on a payment and would love to be working like im being judged in ever single mother catagory!

I did read it and there were a few saying it I understand that point of it maybe just be being sensitive some comments were making me feel crap that im on a payment and would love to be working like im being judged in ever single mother catagory!

I'm on here giving out about people having babies they can't afford. I most definitely was not talking about you or the situation you find yourself in. Hard times can hit anyone of us, at any time and you should feel that the rest of us will be there to support you, and the majority of us are, sorry if you took any offence in any of my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

And how would you like to foot the bill for the Massive increase in crime.

You honestly reckon people would turn to crime instead of taking the pill?

Gerry T wrote: »
    I'm on here giving out about people having babies they can't afford. I most definitely was not talking about you or the situation you find yourself in. Hard times can hit anyone of us, at any time and you should feel that the rest of us will be there to support you, and the majority of us are, sorry if you took any offence in any of my posts.

No worries Gerry wasn't you're post but Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Lol, what TV isn't nowadays?

well f**k you Mr. 42" , laughing at my 40"smart TV! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

no offence meant , i have a lot of sympathy for people in your situation I have friends in same situation. keep your spirts up things have a habit of working out

• Advertisement

no offence meant , i have a lot of sympathy for people in your situation I have friends in same situation. keep your spirts up things have a habit of working out

Thank you :)

Advertisement