Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gatling wrote: »
    Because most of the terrorist related attacks were carried out in the north and dealt with by British military .
    So by saying we are very successful at dealing with counter and anti terrorism operations is a large stretch of the imagination

We do have terrorists here. the real IRA are active south of the boarder. Remember the massive fcuk off bomb that was found at the queens visit? Even though we've scaled back since the troubles ended we still have an active counter terrorist unit that have close to 80 years experience behind them.

just because there hasn't been a massive detonation in a few years doesn't mean our police have forgotten everything they knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bjork wrote: »
    I envy the younger ones on this thread who didn't grow up with a bombing/shooting/kneecapping in Ireland on the news every evening.

still happens too frequenty..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Panrich wrote: »
    I seriously doubt if we have major intelligence or infiltration of the muslim community here.

Our neighbours intelligence services would have that info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

serious question how would Ireland handle it if it ever happened. Which I hope it never does.
    Sinn Fein PR department, you've earned your Xmas bonus!

We would send in Enda Kenny to negotiate with the terrorists. Then all will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Send in Ming with a load a smhoke and let him do the negotiating, be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Before everyone pops their iodine pills and heads out west to us, get the e-voting machines out of storage and build a wall along the east coast with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Graces7 wrote: »
    still happens too frequenty..

I went to listen to Nuala O' Loan & Co speak at a conference not too long ago. It was eye opening to say the least. The most heart moving speech was a comment from a man in the audience and how it is affecting his community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

(On a serious note)I'd be fairly confident that certain units in The army along with the best the Gardai have to offer would deal with it competently.
    We have a very small threat because of Shannon airport so I'm sure the Army and the Gardai haven't overlooked this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ireland would handle a terrorist attack remarkably well, as it always has in the past. Does any history of the last hundred years at all be taught in the schools these days?

• Advertisement

We have a very small threat because of Shannon airport so I'm sure the Army and the Gardai haven't overlooked this.
    The Gardai have been overlooking the threat illegal activity at Shannon airport poses for years actually.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The Gardai have been overlooking the threat illegal activity at Shannon airport poses for years actually.

Bit of elab please buddy :-)

Bit of elab please buddy :-)
    Refuelling bombers? Rendition? Any of this ring a bell?

Refuelling bombers? Rendition? Any of this ring a bell?

I thought that's what you meant but that's completely the well paid men in the suits call not the guards surely?

They just have to posses the skills and wait for the call!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

serious question how would Ireland handle it if it ever happened. Which I hope it never does.

What pro-cautions does Ireland have in place ?

This is the same Country that ground to a halt when it snowed a few years ago...

I guess: the Gardai would investigate it. Simple as. There's no way to 100% eliminate the threat of terrorist acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Everlong1 wrote: »
    The Gardai, in cooperation with the PSNI have been very successful in infiltrating the alphabet soup of Republican murder groups since the Omagh atrocity. I'd echo Panrich's comment though about their capacity in relation to potential Islamist nutters. Apart from the occasional burst of outrage like the recent one about the Islamic nutter who wants all Irish Mulsim kids segregated in school, we haven't had any problems yet with home grown Islamist nutbars.

Ah domestic terrorist and Captain midnight..... All them fellas cant wait to spill their guts how they are "on a mission with a new agenda" down the pub. The Gardai bring them in and they rat out someone elses....repeat the process, next thing you know they are all ratting on eachother. The only one that didnt rat is in Jail. That is how you bring paranoia into a an organisation...... and they are all ratting on you.

Wait until young Ibraheem Halawa gets home from Egypt ...... then we are going to see trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Gatling wrote: »
    Because most of the terrorist related attacks were carried out in the north and dealt with by British military .
    So by saying we are very successful at dealing with counter and anti terrorism operations is a large stretch of the imagination

It was the gardai more so than the PSNI that crushed the RIRA

Didnt they have a plot to get the Queen while she was here? They got as far as getting two grenades. Didnt the RIRA have a Court Marital afterwards? to weed out the informer?
    The one leading it was most likely the informer like StakeKnife, Freddy Scapattici? was that his name in 50 dead men walking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

It would appear there are now two threads on this subject....perhaps the Mods might merge the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sisko wrote: »
    Thats Northern Ireland though.

Think the OP was asking about Ireland.

No such Place

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Didnt they have a plot to get the Queen while she was here? They got as far as getting two grenades. Didnt the RIRA have a Court Marital afterwards? to weed out the informer?
    The one leading it was most likely the informer like StakeKnife, Freddy Scapattici? was that his name in 50 dead men walking

I suspect you're reading too much Sunday Word, or similar works of fiction.

I suspect you're reading too much Sunday Word, or similar works of fiction.

guilty as charged ... but it was the (Irish) Sunday Times but Paul Williams is usually Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i think we would make a mockery of ourselves infront of the world if faced with the paris sutations. (personal opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its my opinion that the residence of the American embassdor in the Phoenix park is wide open to an attack,as anyone walking around can see.

And yes i do think Ireland will suffer an attack of some sort from extreme Islam fanatics and i do think the Muslim community here would suffer greatly for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

90% of the AH users would form a massive thread telling us it's not the fault of a peaceful loving religion so that the Muslims don't get offended.

The collapse of the RIRA was probably more to do with the "disapproval" of SF/IRA than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Threads merged.

Mod.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i think we would make a mockery of ourselves infront of the world if faced with the paris sutations. (personal opinion)

Hmmm I can think of countries who mad bigger Boo boos.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0105/125995-dorset/

Remember some (unsuspecting) Slovakian guy was travelling to Dublin. Slovak intelligence decided to plant an inert bomb to see how far it would get through the Airport and retrieve it before it left Slovakia. This was done as a test of Slovak Airport securitry evaluation.

However Slovak intelligence never recovered the bomb in time and it travelled the whole way from Bulgaria to Dublin airport and still not detected. Dublin were never warned about the exercise. The EOD cleared it all up tidily and professionally. the Poor guy was treated as a terrorist....

Now that is a fairly embarassing screw up from Start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Training may have improved, but the Gardai have had their fair share of bungled operations where they shot themselves and civilians. The Athy and Abbeyleix debacles being unfortunate examples of this. So I would much prefer to see the elite ARW, take care of all terrorist related matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The collapse of the RIRA was probably more to do with the "disapproval" of SF/IRA than anything else.

Rira had not got that much support of the nationalist people, after omagh it had none.The Rira in Dublin turned into a another solely criminal gang and then was decaptated by another criminal gang with the killing of Alan Ryan ,after which it imploded.

Advertisement