Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Probably give us more iodine tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

endacl wrote: »
    There's a thread on this already. It was pointed out there that as a nation, we have some experience of terrorism.

yes but thankfully we've largely gotten rid of the Brits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ever happened? It has happened with the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, not to mention the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We'd probably take the culprits in and give them a nice house in the suburbs of Galway. Just incase we are in breach of any eu law we'll also throw in €200 per week, free healthcare and try help them get a job in a local pharmaceutical company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

We would probably make multiple threads asking about the same topic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Ever get that sense of Deja vu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Start negotiations with a packet of Tayto or King crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gavlor wrote: »
    We'd probably take the culprits in and give them a nice house in the suburbs of Galway. Just incase we are in breach of any eu law we'll also throw in €200 per week, free healthcare and try help them get a job in a local pharmaceutical company.

You forgot the free car & pram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What pro-cautions does Ireland have in place ?

Pro Cautions are overrated. They get soft with all that money they get paid.

Amateur Cautions are where the real excitement is at.

Sunday morning, freezing cold, pints and a roast after in the pub. That's real cautioning right there mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭golfball37

We would do what we did when Dubln and Monaghan were bombed, close the investigation and get the Gardaí to lean on the victims families for having the temerity to ask what happened to their loved ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

serious question how would Ireland handle it if it ever happened. Which I hope it never does.

What pro-cautions does Ireland have in place ?

We are probably one of the most experienced countries in western Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Pop the Iodine tablets and drive west

or is it
    drop, cover and roll?

Edit I remember now get under a table or stand in a door frame

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Grayson wrote: »
    We are probably one of the most experienced countries in western Europe.

Actually no were not .

When's the last time we had an actual terror attack on civilians here and not the north .
    Or the authorities here prevented attacks in our towns and cities

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

I'm not sure about being one of the most experienced countries in Europe...I doubt it very much tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Easy, send in a few kegs of Guinness, get the lads pissed and then go in and join the party. :rolleyes:

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually no were not .

When's the last time we had an actual terror attack on civilians here and not the north .
    Or the authorities here prevented attacks in our towns and cities

Just off the top of my head 1996 there was a car bombing in Drogheda. I'm sure there are later ones. Although why north / south division is being made is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

waits for new terrorist tax to come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Probably <snip> it in the bud

I envy the younger ones on this thread who didn't grow up with a bombing/shooting/kneecapping in Ireland on the news every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bjork wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head 1996 there was a car bombing in Drogheda. I'm sure there are later ones. Although why north / south division is being made is beyond me

Because most of the terrorist related attacks were carried out in the north and dealt with by British military .
    So by saying we are very successful at dealing with counter and anti terrorism operations is a large stretch of the imagination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

We would recoil in horror, the Taoiseach would make his way to the site to sympathise with the families, the terrorists would end up in Government

Because most of the terrorist related attacks were carried out in the north and dealt with by British military .
    So by saying we are very successful at dealing with counter and anti terrorism operations is a large stretch of the imagination

Here's a recent successful counter operation by the Gardai in Louth

http://www.newstalk.com/Men-arrested-over-Louth-bomb-find-charged-with-IRA-membership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

I seriously doubt if we have major intelligence or infiltration of the muslim community here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

bjork wrote: »

Guards arrested a guy in Lucan last year with a large car-bomb prepared

Plenty of people caught and imprisoned here related to the troubles

lots of intelligence sharing in recent times on dissidents

Panrich wrote: »
    I seriously doubt if we have major intelligence or infiltration of the muslim community here.

I doubt it too but there hasn't been any indication of much radicalisation or particular trouble...yet

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Everlong1

The Gardai, in cooperation with the PSNI have been very successful in infiltrating the alphabet soup of Republican murder groups since the Omagh atrocity. I'd echo Panrich's comment though about their capacity in relation to potential Islamist nutters. Apart from the occasional burst of outrage like the recent one about the Islamic nutter who wants all Irish Mulsim kids segregated in school, we haven't had any problems yet with home grown Islamist nutbars.

I wouldn't be optimistic about our response is anything like the London or Paris attacks happened here. Our response to pretty much every problem in this country is to ignore it and hope it goes away until it blows up in our face. Then we have an outpouring of outrage, promises to end the scandal once and for all, then set up a committee to produce 200 recommendations which are never implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

We'd blame everyone other than the culprits because we are afraid of offending anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Everlong1 wrote: »
    we haven't had any problems yet with home grown Islamist nutbars.
    not yet but....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ireland-tops-list-of-jihadi-fighters-in-foreign-wars-30563746.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Panrich wrote: »

I rented a house in Dublin in 2000. When we moved in, we didn't think anything of the Arabic newspapers used to blank up the wall vents - it was cold and draughty.

Then 911 happened. Out of the blue we had the Special branch followed by a journalist from the thwn Sunday trubune on our door step.

Turns out the house was occupied by a group of students at ucd, some of whom had links to radical Islamic terrorism. The reason we got the calls was that a charity used to filter funds for these guys was registered at our address

Advertisement