Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

And this is exactly the type of appeasement the terrorists are hoping to achieve. To get people like yourself so terrified of the Islamic bogeyman that you would rather keep quiet than challenge their absurd logic, and bully the West into keeping quiet. Whether you realise it or not, you are already discussing surrender with a post like this. And surrender is most certainly not an option now-otherwise the vacuum will the filled by the extreme right across Europe, and they are already knocking on the door.
    The West is now in a state of total war with Islamic fundamentalism. Yesterday was the game changer for an entire generation. The real uncomfortable question here is whether Islam is compatible with Western values once you scratch the surface.

What are the policies of the "extreme right"? any examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I don't personally believe Shannon is worth attacking either. I do believe that it is a possible soft and accessible target for possible anti U.S terror groups to take a cheap shot at a military flight, irregardless of what it is being used for.

Do you really think a U.S aircraft is not an icon that can be used for propaganda purposes? It really doesn't need to be a high valued target like an embassy. An embassy might be a more effective target alright. It really depends what the potential terrorist feels up to.

No, I think it (an aircraft) is a significant target, but as I said if you can get to Shannon you get to any number of USAF bases around Europe and the UK. If you are going to take out a US aircraft, why bother with a contract or converted civil airliner when there are strike, reconnaissance and incredibly valuable and almost irreplaceable ISTAR aircraft that could be hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Jawgap wrote: »
    No, I think it (an aircraft) is a significant target, but as I said if you can get to Shannon you get to any number of USAF bases around Europe and the UK. If you are going to take out a US aircraft, why bother with a contract or converted civil airliner when there are strike, reconnaissance and incredibly valuable and almost irreplaceable ISTAR aircraft that could be hit?

Yeah I understand what you are saying. Taking out ISTAR assets would obviously be a much stronger propaganda tool than taking out a routine cargo flight in Shannon, it's not comparable. Much less chance of the perpetrators getting away though but I doubt that would be their concern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

reprise wrote: »

Water charges, NPPR (7,300+ Shamrocks penalty - laughable), LPT on top of huge Stamp Duty already paid, payin off greedy Bondholders (... hope they enjoy guzzlin their Champers in the City of London), hospital trollies and waiting lists, won't go on Vincent Browne show - scared sh1tless of the hard Questions, puttin de little peeple in Jail over TV licence and a criminal record ..... but not ONE Banker in Jail, politicians creamin off - 150,000 yoyos+ a Year (Index linked) for the likes of Biffo and that fool Bertie, people dying on the streets etc etc .... and, that's just this Weeks News .... :pac:

Oireland is a Dictatorship, my friend, run by a bunch of Clowns for a Bunch of Clowns. And, always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

More and more muslims will start to see the funny side of things in time.Its inevitable.If you tried to show Father Ted during 1950's Ireland,there would have been people burned at the stake.
    There are very high populations of people under 30 in a lot of muslim countries who are not so serious about Islam as their elders.50/100 years time will see big changes.

You know, for years I assumed this would be the case. That gradual Western mockery would ultimately desensitise Muslim opinion, and we could all just get along relatively peacefully. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case. If anything, we're seeing a hardening of Muslim opinion across the West. You only need to look at the numbers flocking to Syria to commit acts of violence.
    Also, as dreadful as 50's Catholic Ireland was, even during the worst excesses of abuse and brutality, it isn't a drop in the ocean compared to what happened in Paris yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Propaganda is always the objective of the terrorist - and propaganda relies on symbolism and icons. We have no symbols or icons worth attacking, again with the possible exception of certain embassies and consular staff.

So what was the propaganda value of the Bali bombings?

I don't understand your point.
    These lads kill for the sake of killing.

It's an eye for an eye with them.

By the way I never suggested Shannon would be targeted, my point is civilians could be targeted in retaliation for the use of Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

No but when muslims mock the christ do us christians end any human life or do anything about it? Absolutely **** all

The thing is, Muslims view Jesus as a prophet and therefore would be just as unwilling to mock him as Mohammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

reprise wrote: »

I understand they involve screaming loudly, wearing ridiculous clothing, and excusing acts of obscene violence. So not all that different from the extreme left really....

yipeeeee wrote: »
    So what was the propaganda value of the Bali bombings?

I don't understand your point.
    These lads kill for the sake of killing.

It's an eye for an eye with them.

By the way I never suggested Shannon would be targeted, my point is civilians could be targeted in retaliation for the use of Shannon.

Because it was 'westerners' using a Muslim country as a party destination. The film Long Road to Heaven covers it well - the bombing was designed to maximise western casualties, while minimising the risk to locals. If they were interested in maximising the body count they would've focused on placing the bombs elsewhere than the two bars. Before Bali, Indonesian terrorism focused on internal issues and attacks ignored foreigners.

The whole point isn't that they are psychopaths killing for the sake of killing - the violence is political, it's the application of force to make a political point. If they can at the same time provoke a crackdown that's the bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

To be perfectly honest I doubt many extremists apart from Sinn Féin could point Ireland out on a map.

No, I'm pretty sure the catholic church knows where Ireland is.

Am I doing this right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

twincamman wrote: »
    serious question ..if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland similar to paris..do we have the people to deal with it ? as in trained armed people

Wow - how young are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Rangers have helped with terrorist stuff before if I remember correctly.

Yep. Andy Goram especially was great at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The Gardai have some Armed Response Unit, they've shot a few over the years, mostly bank robbers if I remember rightly.

John carthy?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yep. Andy Goram especially was great at it.
    Which andy. Wasn't there two? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

twincamman wrote: »
    serious question ..if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland similar to paris..do we have the people to deal with it ? as in trained armed people

Luckily for us if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland we'd have FG and Labour to cover it up and help the British/loyalists perpetrators get away.

Then we'd all pretend it never happened!

That's probably how we'd deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Bloody sunday - Brits shot dead 14 civilians
    Kingsmill Massacre - IRA shot dead 10 civilians
    Greysteel - Loyalists shot dead 8 civilians

Thats Northern Ireland though.

Think the OP was asking about Ireland.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    John carthy?:rolleyes:

The guy they pleaded with to put down his weapon before the ERU a Guard drew his weapon and shot him in the legs? Then they continued to call on him to put down the weapon as he walked towards the outer cordon for about a minute before aiming for his lower torso when an unlucky ricochet caused the fatal injury?

Any other police force it would've been three warnings then a double tap to the lowest central part of the most visible mass......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

No but when muslims mock the christ do us christians end any human life or do anything about it? Absolutely **** all

Why would they mock Jesus Christ ? Sure he is the second most important Prophet of Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

TERRORISTS!!!!!
    The jumbo breakfast roll is gonna kill more of us than any terrorist, fcuking centra thats our terrorist

So we have this zalem fella mentioning Shannon tonight and how it is seen by many Muslims as I said earlier.

Very naive to think we aren't a target sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Why would they mock Jesus Christ ? Sure he is the second most important Prophet of Islam.

Hold on !.........that's offensive.

(and round and round and round we go)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Details, f***ing shmetails.

So we have this zalem fella mentioning Shannon tonight and how it is seen by many Muslims as I said earlier.

Very naive to think we aren't a target sooner or later.

Well the powers that be would like to drive that notion home that we'll inevitably be a target - what better premise on which to base laws restricting our rights as citizens, increasing surveillance and controlling our day-to-day lives?

If they can get people to believe that we'll be compelled to carry ID cards within two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No country is prepared fully for a terrorist attack

Well the powers that be would like to drive that notion home that we'll inevitably be a target - what better premise on which to base laws restricting our rights as citizens, increasing surveillance and controlling our day-to-day lives?

If they can get people to believe that we'll be compelled to carry ID cards within two years.

We're Just gonna have to disagree on this one.

Im fully convinced there is reasons in Ireland for some lunatic or lunatics to go on a rampage or plant a bomb.

Shannon been that number one reason.

Warper wrote: »
    No country is prepared fully for a terrorist attack

Sure they are. Most country's, us included, would have their contingency plans ready and will have trained on them as they would for any major incident.

We're Just gonna have to disagree on this one.

Im fully convinced there is reasons in Ireland for some lunatic or lunatics to go on a rampage or plant a bomb.

Shannon been that number one reason.

Yes, I'm sure we are at risk......

World's Dumbest Jihadis

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100214465/the-10-stupidest-islamic-terrorists/

serious question how would Ireland handle it if it ever happened. Which I hope it never does.

What pro-cautions does Ireland have in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

serious question?

Thats your first mistake there. This is After Hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's a thread on this already. It was pointed out there that as a nation, we have some experience of terrorism.

Advertisement