Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes unless somebody quotes 1916 or the civil war

Enniskillen or Omagh mean anything to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

wprathead wrote: »
    Used to transfer detainees also afaik

Yes, it still has zero propaganda value.

If you can get someone to the perimeter of Shannon to attack it, you can get them to the perimeter of Heathrow or Stansted (which was also used for rendition flights)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Jawgap wrote: »
    We are grand, sure aren't we being touted by the Muslim world as an example to follow when it comes to blasphemy legislation (the reason why no Charlie Hebdo cartoons were on the front of any Irish papers this morning).......

.......and the government have said they've no plans to change the constitution!

Why would the government change the constitution? The law will stay since it helps protect Ireland from the likes of what happened in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

In fairness to the Ranger wing, I doubt they'd be suited and booted in time to make any real difference. Sounds like the attack in paris was over very quickly, it would be up to the ERU to catch them afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Enniskillen or Omagh mean anything to you?

Remote triggered bombs not sustained attacks

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »
    In fairness to the Ranger wing, I doubt they'd be suited and booted in time to make any real difference. Sounds like the attack in paris was over very quickly, it would be up to the ERU to catch them afterwards.

A few mins flight time from the curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭billyhead

These extremists would have no problem with attacking us here. Sure Irish society has gone very multi cultural with more Americans, British and French people now living here. They just want to make a statement and gather as much publicity as possible with these attacks and wouldn't care when or where it takes place in the west.

Why would the government change the constitution? The law will stay since it helps protect Ireland from the likes of what happened in Paris.

Seriously, a law against blasphemy is just a law against superstition......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

We've some very capable Army Rangers who would deal with this type of situation's .

Bet yis heard dat on de barsthools over dere in Ingiland.
    Tis roigh up dere wit "de bhest little cuntry in de wurld" says de barfly
    Paddy to de left of ya cryin into his beer an rememberin "de gud Ol
    Toimes" back in sunny Oireland.

Hic Hic Hic ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Yes, it still has zero propaganda value.

If you can get someone to the perimeter of Shannon to attack it, you can get them to the perimeter of Heathrow or Stansted (which was also used for rendition flights)

While I do agree with your thought process, it is not as solid as you think. Propaganda is a wonderful tool for gaining followers. These guys indeed could have killed more people yesterday but they wanted to get in, kill, get out and live to do it again. It was a simple and effective plan which was smoothly executed.....unfortunately.

If propaganda was the sole purpose of this event, I believe a larger group would have inserted into the building, locked it down and awaited a multi hour stand off. Ultimately killing as many people as possible. That would be more effective.

To the lazy terrorist, Shannon is a softer, more accessible target which would yield almost the same amount of propaganda but with a much less chance of retaliation from Ireland. We are not as internationally dispersed or as militarily equipped as the US / UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Seriously, a law against blasphemy is just a law against superstition......

That may be so, but when you've got people who take these insults very seriously I would think it's better not to provoke. I bet the thinking I'd the same in government.

You have to ask is insulting Islam worth the lives of 12 people?

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Bet yis heard dat on de barsthools over dere in Ingiland.
    Tis roigh up dere wit "de bhest little cuntry in de wurld" says de barfly
    Paddy to de left of ya cryin into his beer an rememberin "de gud Ol
    Toimes" back in sunny Oireland.

Hic Hic Hic ... :pac:

In English please

A few mins flight time from the curragh

Not exactly.

The ARW won't be the first to be deployed. There are other security entities which will be called upon first. Once the perceived threat escalates, so does the expertise. This all affects timelines.

It could well be over even before regular AGS member got there, never mind RSU, then ARW......especially if it happens in say Cork.

Not exactly.

The ARW won't be the first to be deployed. There are other security entities which will be called upon first. Once the perceived threat escalates, so does the expertise.

It could well be over even before regular AGS member got there, never mind RSU, then ARW......especially if it happens in say Cork.

Neither of us can say for sure

That may be so, but when you've got people who take these insults very seriously I would think it's better not to provoke. I bet the thinking I'd the same in government.

Well I think you're just being provocative - if we consent to a law that promotes and protects superstitions, what next?

Change the law if the same people pronounce our lifestyle too decadent because we allow the consumption of alcohol, allow dancing, gambling, women to drive, go out accompanied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

No but when muslims mock the christ do us christians end any human life or do anything about it? Absolutely **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

billyhead wrote: »
    These extremists would have no problem with attacking us here. Sure Irish society has gone very multi cultural with more Americans, British and French people now living here. They just want to make a statement and gather as much publicity as possible with these attacks and wouldn't care when or where it takes place in the west.

Christ,do you go to sleep with a flak jacket on or what.Will we wait till they attack San Marino,Liechtenstein and Andorra first.They have as much chance.

You may as well finished by saying 'All muslims are baddies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Op if you mean leaving out the troubles and take into account the types of attacks now, nothing would be done as the country is so pc and everybody is afraid to say how they feel or be branded a racist.

Right...so if there was a Paris type situation you think the cops wouldn't defend civilians or themselves for fear of looking racist?

Jesus, liberals really have you right wingers ****ting yourselves.

While I do agree with your thought process, it is not as solid as you think. Propaganda is a wonderful tool for gaining followers. These guys indeed could have killed more people yesterday but they wanted to get in, kill, get out and live to do it again. It was a simple and effective plan which was smoothly executed.....unfortunately.

If propaganda was the sole purpose of this event, I believe a larger group would have inserted into the building, locked it down and awaited a multi hour stand off. Ultimately killing as many people as possible. That would be more effective.

To the lazy terrorist, Shannon is a softer, more accessible target which would yield almost the same amount of propaganda but with a much less chance of retaliation from Ireland. We are not as internationally dispersed or as militarily equipped as the US / UK.

Propaganda is always the objective of the terrorist - and propaganda relies on symbolism and icons. We have no symbols or icons worth attacking, again with the possible exception of certain embassies and consular staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Not exactly.

The ARW won't be the first to be deployed. There are other security entities which will be called upon first. Once the perceived threat escalates, so does the expertise. This all affects timelines.

Ah shur if it happens in Cork sure we'll have it sorted long before the Guards hear about it.

Propaganda is always the objective of the terrorist - and propaganda relies on symbolism and icons. We have no symbols or icons worth attacking, again with the possible exception of certain embassies and consular staff.

Imagine certain brands been attacked such as our various alcohol producers

Neither of us can say for sure

I'm pretty confident that the first response to an event is the AGS then the DF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

And this is exactly the type of appeasement the terrorists are hoping to achieve. To get people like yourself so terrified of the Islamic bogeyman that you would rather keep quiet than challenge their absurd logic, and bully the West into keeping quiet. Whether you realise it or not, you are already discussing surrender with a post like this. And surrender is most certainly not an option now-otherwise the vacuum will the filled by the extreme right across Europe, and they are already knocking on the door.
    The West is now in a state of total war with Islamic fundamentalism. Yesterday was the game changer for an entire generation. The real uncomfortable question here is whether Islam is compatible with Western values once you scratch the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What so should give into the will of raving nutjobs, the more you give in to them the more they'll take.

We're not the only ones who produce booze. If you want to attack alcohol and decadence, wouldn't something like Champagne producers be more symbolic target?

I don't personally believe Shannon is worth attacking either. I do believe that it is a possible soft and accessible target for possible anti U.S terror groups to take a cheap shot at a military flight, irregardless of what it is being used for.

Do you really think a U.S aircraft is not an icon that can be used for propaganda purposes? It really doesn't need to be a high valued target like an embassy. An embassy might be a more effective target alright. It really depends what the potential terrorist feels up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The Middleton Distillery and St James' Gate are right up there with the Twin Towers and the Pentagon as beacons of Western culture in the crossheirs of religious extremists.

Dont worry, Enda has it sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

And this is exactly the type of appeasement the terrorists are hoping to achieve. To get people like yourself so terrified of the Islamic bogeyman that you would rather keep quiet than challenge their absurd logic, and bully the West into keeping quiet. Whether you realise it or not, you are already discussing surrender with a post like this. And surrender is most certainly not an option now-otherwise the vacuum will the filled by the extreme right across Europe, and they are already knocking on the door.
    The West is now in a state of total war with Islamic fundamentalism. Yesterday was the game changer for an entire generation. The real uncomfortable question here is whether Islam is compatible with Western values once you scratch the surface.

More and more muslims will start to see the funny side of things in time.Its inevitable.If you tried to show Father Ted during 1950's Ireland,there would have been people burned at the stake.
    There are very high populations of people under 30 in a lot of muslim countries who are not so serious about Islam as their elders.50/100 years time will see big changes.

Advertisement