Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options
  • 08-01-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

serious question ..if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland similar to paris..do we have the people to deal with it ? as in trained armed people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Armed Response Unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ERU/ARU and the Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Gardai have some Armed Response Unit, they've shot a few over the years, mostly bank robbers if I remember rightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Mary Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Also Liam Neeson assuming one of his family member isn't kidnapped at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

twincamman wrote: »
    serious question ..if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland similar to paris..do we have the people to deal with it ? as in trained armed people

We've had some. Remember the whole ireland, Northern Ireland thing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We've some very capable Army Rangers who would deal with this type of situation's .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

We've had terrorist attacks in Ireland since 1969. So we're well used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

twincamman wrote: »

There's been loads of terrorist attacks in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Rangers have helped with terrorist stuff before if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

There's been loads of terrorist attacks in Ireland.

Bombs triggered by remote and shootings but no sustained assault on civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Can't believe this is a serious question. Why were all cash in transit vans supported the Garda and Army until very recently, do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op if you mean leaving out the troubles and take into account the types of attacks now, nothing would be done as the country is so pc and everybody is afraid to say how they feel or be branded a racist.

As said above Army would have best trained units for these type of situations as a normal cop would be useless having no weopons.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

The Gardai have some Armed Response Unit, they've shot a few over the years, mostly bank robbers if I remember rightly.

They've also had a bad habit of shooting each other. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We could throw iodine tablets at them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

We've had terrorist attacks in Ireland since 1169. So we're well used to it.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We have more to worry about the RA splinter groups then anyone else. Adare village is one that could have been a lot lot worse considering rounds were shot in the morning on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Gatling wrote: »
    Bombs triggered by remote and shootings but no sustained assault on civilians

Bloody sunday - Brits shot dead 14 civilians
    Kingsmill Massacre - IRA shot dead 10 civilians
    Greysteel - Loyalists shot dead 8 civilians

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Loughisland massacre comes to mind, 2 UVF members walk into a crowded bar and open up with assault rifles, 6 dead and 5 wounded.. how did the police respond? By destroying the evidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Sadly, it's not a matter of if, but when there is a major terrorist attack in Ireland. It may surprise you to know that Ireland has supplied the highest number of foreign fighters in Syria and Iraq:

independent.ie/irish-news/news/ireland-tops-list-of-jihadi-fighters-in-foreign-wars-30563746.html

Eventually, a radicalised fighter will return to Ireland and carry out an attack here. Ireland, unlike most countries, does not have a dedicated intelligence unit . All monitoring is carried out by the Army intelligence unit, G2, and by the National Surveillance Unit of the Gardai, which operate on a shoestring budget.

I don't think there will be a 'spectacular' type attack with bombs or aircraft, as these type of attacks require a lot of access to dangerous materials and advanced weaponry. Likewise, a location such as an embassy would be too well defended.
    But I do think we could well be facing a Mumbai style attack in the coming years, where a small cell of armed individuals attack a remote location such as a school or hospital where they could inflict massive casualties before the authorities had a chance to respond quickly.

Unfortunately, the public seem to have this 'sure we're Irish, it'll be grand' mentality when it comes to the reality of modern Islamic terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

We could always overload them with some Irish Catholic shame, that would sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Unfortunately, the public seem to have this 'sure we're Irish, it'll be grand' mentality when it comes to the reality of modern Islamic terrorism.

Sure we'll just grab a few hurls and lay into them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

someone can correct me if Im wrong though counter terrorism/hostage rescue/ hijacking stuff like that is the remit of the danger wing I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

WakeUp wrote: »
    someone can correct me if Im wrong though counter terrorism/hostage rescue/ hijacking stuff like that is the remit of the danger wing I think.

Can be but Garda ERU would be more than likely dealing with it in a civil situation as in Paris it's the same a special police unit or swat team is dealing with it but yes army rangers could as well

Bloody sunday - Brits shot dead 14 civilians
    Kingsmill Massacre - IRA shot dead 10 civilians
    Greysteel - Loyalists shot dead 8 civilians

That didn't take long .

Actually I'm thinking more Mumbai, Afghanistan, Pakistan type of sustained attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To be perfectly honest I doubt many extremists apart from Sinn Féin could point Ireland out on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

In a shocking deviation from the norm... Ireland is actually pretty good at something for a change. We have lots of experience in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Mary Lou.

He's talking about dealing with terrorists, not fetishizing them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

There is plenty of scope for potential attacks within Ireland. It's not something we are immune from because of our geographical location or our loveable nature. It is unlikely but possible.

Realistically, there are plenty of people living here who have strong, definite links to various international terror organisations. Some western nations have highlighted concerns over Ireland potentially being used to stage medium to large scale attacks. It is not something that is beyond possibility.

If an event along the lines of the Paris attack yesterday was to take place here, it would probably end the same. Not because we are under equipped or incompetent. It's down to response times really. This was a largely unpreventable attack. A small determined group with a definite plan, resources, local knowledge with no hesitation to carry out their task. It's a hard thing to defend against, especially when it can happen anywhere at any time.

I believe but am open to correction that, first on scene would be regular AGS members, then ERU/RSU depending where the event takes place. A last resort would be the Army Ranger Wing. None of which would have been in situ quick enough if the timeline was to be the same as yesterday.

We have a long history of internal terror threats from multiple homegrown groups. It's a small country. It is well known that IRA members and others of the various splinter groups have been involved in training with other international terror groups in various places. It's a crazy world we live in but I can't see a case where a planned attack will happen here. A spontaneous retaliation for a perceived injustice against a militant religious group......maybe.

Advertisement