Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/us-use-of-shannon-airport-makes-ireland-a-target-anjem-choudary-1.2060258

Well not news but is this supposed to be some sort of warning shot across the bows?

This deal that is done over Shannon has nothing to do with the Irish army or the Irish Civilian populations.
    To call Jihad on the Irish population would cause serious civil out cry at home and internationally

I don't think any strike aircraft deploying out of the US have come through Shannon - only personnel and some cargo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Jawgap wrote: »
    I don't think any strike aircraft deploying out of the US have come through Shannon - only personnel and some cargo.

No not to the best of my knowledge but personnel carriers have. I agree with him that we lost our neutrality when we agreed to this. There's no ifs or buts about it. We aid them in their journey to Iraq and afghan to fight.
    For me it's very black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe the OP should rephrase it,

if we had a hijack situation in ireland?? .. involving a large amount of civilians in a built up area would we cope?? are the gaurds up to scratch for such a scenario??

fryup wrote: »

if we had a hijack situation in ireland?? .. involving a large amount of civilians in a built up area would we cope?? are the gaurds up to scratch for such a scenario??

I think yes. I think the elite of the DF and AGS working together would deal with it well.

I think we need to take a look at our security measure though. Big need for reform IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

We could put Dustin and Dana on the front line. They're bound to scare them muzzie fundamentalists aaway.

Dana has first hand experience of Terrorism. Remember when the tyres on her car were allegedly slashed in an act of terrorism?
    Or was that a blow out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Dana has first hand experience of Terrorism. Remember when the tyres on her car were allegedly slashed in an act of terrorism?
    Or was that a blow out?

The electorate gave her a blow out, the car had punctures.

No not to the best of my knowledge but personnel carriers have. I agree with him that we lost our neutrality when we agreed to this. There's no ifs or buts about it. We aid them in their journey to Iraq and afghan to fight.
    For me it's very black and white.

How can we lose something we never had?

We're not neutral, we never have been neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

fryup wrote: »

It would depend if its raining or not, and whether there is a changeover in shift about to happen.

How can we lose something we never had?

We're not neutral, we never have been neutral.

Regardless of your opinion we declared ourselves neutral

Regardless of your opinion we declared ourselves neutral

When?

We never declared ourselves neutral......it's one of the great myths of our nationhood!

We're actually non-aligned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

We will have the wolves to deal with this problem

When?

We never declared ourselves neutral......it's one of the great myths of our nationhood!

We're actually non-aligned.

It's possible you could be right and if you are I stand corrected. I was of the understanding that we declared neutral during the Second World War and have been ever since

It's possible you could be right and if you are I stand corrected. I was of the understanding that we declared neutral during the Second World War and have been ever since

Some more info here......

http://doras.dcu.ie/14903/

There's also Trevor Salmon’s 'Unneutral Ireland.'

Some more info here......

http://doras.dcu.ie/14903/

There's also Trevor Salmon’s 'Unneutral Ireland.'

So by the definition of the word we're not. But we've never aligned ourselves with anyone or went on an offensive against another nation so that would still make us somewhat neutral no?

It's a very arguable topic.

So by the definition of the word we're not. But we've never aligned ourselves with anyone or went on an offensive against another nation so that would still make us somewhat neutral no?

It's a very arguable topic.

It's not really - if a country is to be neutral, it needs to be able to enforce and protect that neutrality against outside threats. We have a professional Defence Force, but we can't protect our neutrality.

Plus we've signed up to just about every international body going, except NATO. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

It's not really - if a country is to be neutral, it needs to be able to enforce and protect that neutrality against outside threats. We have a professional Defence Force, but we can't protect our neutrality.

Plus we've signed up to just about every international body going, except NATO. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

What exactly do you mean by enforce and protect our neutrality?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thomas83

twincamman wrote: »
    serious question ..if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland similar to paris..do we have the people to deal with it ? as in trained armed people

I think Ireland's reaction to a attack would be up to scratch...

A well know Muslim from the uk (Anjem Choudary)has quoted that Ireland is not a neutral country because we let American planes refuel in Shannon to continue there journey to the war..

He also said Ireland is on the radar for an attack

Scary stuff

thomas83 wrote: »

A well know Muslim from the uk (Anjem Choudary)has quoted that Ireland is not a neutral country because we let American planes refuel in Shannon to continue there journey to the war..

Scary stuff

Exactly. It's time the government realise this an stepped things up.

What exactly do you mean by enforce and protect our neutrality?

That if another state rocked up of the coast of Dublin and wanted to invade, we couldn't stop them.

Likewise, if another state wanted to coerce us, then assuming they possessed the means it is unlikely we could resist without the assistance of other states.

thomas83 wrote: »

Scary stuff

Not really. 'Threat' is capacity combined with motivation - certain fanatical elements may well be motivated to strike at is, but they totally lack the capacity - and what limited capacity they do have they'd be more motivated to direct it towards other countries and institutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

That if another state rocked up of the coast of Dublin and wanted to invade, we couldn't stop them.
    The Brits would have blown them out of the water before they got within 100 miles of Dublin.

Assuming it wasnt the Brits who were invading lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

We've had terrorist attacks in Ireland since 1969. So we're well used to it.

1560's Cromwell

Stojkovic wrote: »
    The Brits would have blown them out of the water before they got within 100 miles of Dublin.

Assuming it wasnt the Brits who were invading lol.

Was just about to say this @Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

gladrags wrote: »
    1560's Cromwell

Too soon dude, too soon!

Not really. 'Threat' is capacity combined with motivation - certain fanatical elements may well be motivated to strike at is, but they totally lack the capacity - and what limited capacity they do have they'd be more motivated to direct it towards other countries and institutions.

Disagree completely I think a homemade device is very easily made and planted just look at how man time the DF bomb disposal team get called out to pipe bombs etc. so emplacement doesn't seem to be a problem. It only takes a very small number of terrorists with the correct skills. Surely the north taught us that?

Disagree completely I think a homemade device is very easily made and planted just look at how man time the DF bomb disposal team get called out to pipe bombs etc. so emplacement doesn't seem to be a problem. It only takes a very small number of terrorists with the correct skills. Surely the north taught us that?

Yes, you know what else the North taught us? Even a well organised group is not an existential threat to an organised and democratic state.

As terrible, tragic and disturbing as the Paris attacks were, they were not an existential threat to the Fifth Republic - even if an attack like this was carried out every day, the Republic would still go on.

Yes, you know what else the North taught us? Even a well organised group is not an existential threat to an organised and democratic state.

As terrible, tragic and disturbing as the Paris attacks were, they were not an existential threat to the Fifth Republic - even if an attack like this was carried out every day, the Republic would still go on.

That still doesn't mean that a threat doesn't exist!

That still doesn't mean that a threat doesn't exist!

True, there's also a threat that the bees are going to die out in the next decade and we're going to starve.........

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141230-apocalypse-when

There'll be many, many, many more people killed on our roads in the next year than will be killed by terrorist action.

Put it this way.......if you are Al Qaeda's Director of Ops and you can get or radicalise a group this far west to attack a facility........and (this is crucial) get them the means to carry out that attack and put it in their hands........do you attack a regional airport in Ireland used as a trans-Atlantic stopover for troops or do do you attack certain USAF air bases that are home to aircraft and special forces that have actually operated in the ME - or put it another way, which of those attacks carries the most kudos among your 'audience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

dont even think about ireland going to war we'd get wiped out easily, we dont even have an army.. even the special forces wouldn't do f all, anyway we'd have to rely on maybe british/american troops if anything such chaotic happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well I was told before that I woulod be blown up from a certain someone out of a certain place in Dublin before.

I hope these things never happen here but we would be a very soft target.

Advertisement