Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i think we would make a mockery of ourselves infront of the world if faced with the paris sutations. (personal opinion)

What is your personal opinion based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd imagine a lot of people will die and the government will do their best to do nothing about the actual crime but use it as an excuse to give the guards more powers to harass the disso's.

worked for them with the dublin monaghan bombings

The security anoraks will hope the ARW put in an appearance I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Pretty sure the Ranger Wing do a lot of training with the GIGN in France, they seem to have just handled that mess quite well. Not sure if this was said but the Ranger Wing are widely regarded as one of the best trained special force units in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ACANDROID wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Ranger Wing do a lot of training with the GIGN in France, they seem to have just handled that mess quite well. Not sure if this was said but the Ranger Wing are widely regarded as one of the best trained special force units in the world.

This is not a dig at our defence forces or Garda.

But where did you read that and who regarded them as the one of the best ?

Practice makes perfect and fortunately or unfortunately our special forces have not had the experience of real time operations,there have been a few instances in Africa last year ?? But otherwise, nothing.

Once again not a dig at our men and women who do a great job as best there allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i think we would make a mockery of ourselves infront of the world if faced with the paris sutations. (personal opinion)

I'd say the ERU backed by the ARW would acquit themselves very well.

The 'marauding gunman' scenario is difficult to prevent so it comes down to reaction and I don't doubt that the Guards and Army have a contingency plan(s) and that they train on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

realies wrote: »

Probably the same guys who reckon Irish doctors are the best in the world... themselves... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Jawgap wrote: »
    I don't doubt that the Guards and Army have a contingency plan(s) and that they train on it.
    What part of anything the Gardai have done over the last 50 years makes you think there'd be any sort of coherent rapid response to a lone gunman massacre?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Practice makes perfect and fortunately or unfortunately our special forces have not had the experience of real time operations,there have been a few instances in Africa last year ?? But otherwise, nothing.

Once again not a dig at our men and women who do a great job as best there allowed.

They have won many international contests against the likes of Delta Force, the British and Australian SAS and the german GSG9, the sniper team a couple of years back took gold or silver against other sniper teams from around the world. Google their accolades..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Oh dear god you are sooo far out of touch. Irish Rangers were first trained in North Carolina at Ranger School. Then there has been plenty of cross training not just with the elite French GIGN (Djubouti), Dutch Marine Kommandos and the SAS. At the European union Special forces competition (combat driving, shooting and absailing to name a few) the Irish came third, read that in An Cosantoir. These boys dont be shiniing their boots all day they earn their living over seas and cross training across Europe and Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    What part of anything the Gardai have done over the last 50 years makes you think there'd be any sort of coherent rapid response to a lone gunman massacre?

Because that's what emergency services do - plan for major incident contingencies and train on them.

Since Kenya and Mumbai, the 'marauding gunman' scenario has formed part of European police and security services planning. Given the Guards are members of EuroPol I'd imagine they participate in such planning and develop their own specific planning for here.

• Advertisement

Riiiiiight,

ARW personnel are very well trained. The fact that they are Irish and not regularly deployed or "battle tested" does not take away from the fact. They regularly cross train with other SOF units worldwide. Their tactics, capabilities and roles are very similar.

They have repeatedly performed well in skills competitions against other various international units. These competitions obviously don't compare to actual operational situations, but, none the less are a good indication to their standard. The best in the World? No. Very well trained and capable of dealing with a situation like this? Yes.

The handful of times that they have been used, have been very successful.

These competitions obviously don't compare to actual operational situations, but, none the less are a good indication to their standard. The best in the World? No. Very well trained and capable of dealing with a situation like this? Yes.

The handful of times that they have been used, have been very successful.

Didnt they help arrest Charles Taylor in Liberia? then there are Border Ops we hear very little about. Remember when the Zambian Cadets were training in ireland here about 20 years ago? What do you think we got in return? Then there were WEU missions in the 90's in Bosnia. Just because you dont hear about them doesnt mean there aren't Ops going on.

Didnt they help arrest Charles Taylor in Liberia? then there are Border Ops we hear very little about. Remember when the Zambian Cadets were training in ireland here about 20 years ago? What do you think we got in return? Then there were WEU missions in the 90's in Bosnia. Just because you dont hear about them doesnt mean there aren't Ops going on.

No they didn't help arrest Charles Taylor in Liberia and I know plenty of what goes on man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

twincamman wrote: »
    serious question ..if we ever had a terrorist attack in Ireland similar to paris..do we have the people to deal with it ? as in trained armed people

We were pretty sh!t at stopping the people who blew up 27 innocent Dubliners in May 1974. I don't know if we've got any better at it. The UVF were stopped from a similar bomb attack in 1994 by an IRA man who got shot & killed for it if that counts.

We were pretty sh!t at stopping the people who blew up 27 innocent Dubliners in May 1974. I don't know if we've got any better at it. The UVF were stopped from a similar bomb attack in 1994 by an IRA man who got shot & killed for it if that counts.

In all fairness the UVF had the best training, When Bobby Niraic wasn't running with the Provos one night he was training the UVF the other night..... see the Miami Showband...... guess who was supervising?

In all fairness the UVF had the best training, When Bobby Niraic wasn't running with the Provos one night he was training the UVF the other night..... see the Miami Showband...... guess who was supervising?

And Kingsmill according to some. Anyway it was still a half arsed attempt to catch those who did the bombing, probably because they knew of the collusion involved.

No they didn't help arrest Charles Taylor in Liberia and I know plenty of what goes on man.

I stand corrected

http://www.politics.ie/forum/defence/118570-irish-army-training-excercise-donegal-didnt-know-they-had-them-3.html

That was hearsay rather than gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The gardai would be too busy shtoping vehicles for shpeeding to notice any terrorist attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If we had a terrorist attack here... The first thing the guards would do Is put the kettle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Sadly, it's not a matter of if, but when there is a major terrorist attack in Ireland. It may surprise you to know that Ireland has supplied the highest number of foreign fighters in Syria and Iraq:

independent.ie/irish-news/news/ireland-tops-list-of-jihadi-fighters-in-foreign-wars-30563746.html

Eventually, a radicalised fighter will return to Ireland and carry out an attack here. Ireland, unlike most countries, does not have a dedicated intelligence unit . All monitoring is carried out by the Army intelligence unit, G2, and by the National Surveillance Unit of the Gardai, which operate on a shoestring budget.

I don't think there will be a 'spectacular' type attack with bombs or aircraft, as these type of attacks require a lot of access to dangerous materials and advanced weaponry. Likewise, a location such as an embassy would be too well defended.
    But I do think we could well be facing a Mumbai style attack in the coming years, where a small cell of armed individuals attack a remote location such as a school or hospital where they could inflict massive casualties before the authorities had a chance to respond quickly.

Unfortunately, the public seem to have this 'sure we're Irish, it'll be grand' mentality when it comes to the reality of modern Islamic terrorism.

I think you are quite right, we're complacent here. The new Jewish museum better have good security so it doesn't end up like Mumbai where the folk inside were tortured, mutilated horribly and then murdered. We're dealing with a whole new type of evil with some of these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I think you are quite right, we're complacent here. The new Jewish museum better have good security so it doesn't end up like Mumbai where the folk inside were tortured, mutilated horribly and then murdered. We're dealing with a whole new type of evil with some of these guys.
    Nothing new at all sadly, never hear of the Romper Rooms in Belfast? Or the IRA nutting squad?

I was very blunt in my last post, my apologies.

Charles Taylor was caught at the border of Nigeria, trying to bail into Cameroon. He was arrested and flown back to Liberia and handed over to the authorities. It was UNMIL's responsibility to secure the airport in Monrovia to make sure he made it to Sierra Leone by helicopter. The Operation was called Kilbride.

We were further detailed to travel to Freetown in Sierra Leone for a week to guard the compound where he was being held. That operation was called Landsdowne. There was a very high chance of an attempt to either kill him or to free him. He was subsequently flown to The Haigue to stand trial for his atrocities.

I was part of mission myself and was involved in both Operations. ARW personnel were also part of it but not as a sole entity.

Nothing new at all sadly, never hear of the Romper Rooms in Belfast? Or the IRA nutting squad?

I heard of the Romper Rooms & the Shankill Butchers, but not a nutting squad, I heard of a IRA group called "the unknowns"

If there ever was a Muslim terrorist attack here They would be castigated internationally for attacking a neutral country.

Muslims would have to leave en masse, there would be no comeback from it

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

If there ever was a Muslim terrorist attack here They would be castigated internationally for attacking a neutral country.

Muslims would have to leave en masse, there would be no comeback from it

Forgive me but I think that's naive. I don't think the Fundies give a toss about castigation from anyone. We're dhimmi infidels too so technically not neutral!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I heard of the Romper Rooms & the Shankill Butchers, but not a nutting squad, I heard of a IRA group called "the unknowns"
    They were the anti-informer unit and would also interview people coming out of prison and police custody, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

We would be fecked

We would send in Enda Kenny to negotiate with the terrorists. Then all will be fine.

If it turns into a debate though, he's gone like a hot snot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We could put Dustin and Dana on the front line. They're bound to scare them muzzie fundamentalists aaway.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/us-use-of-shannon-airport-makes-ireland-a-target-anjem-choudary-1.2060258

Well not news but is this supposed to be some sort of warning shot across the bows?

This deal that is done over Shannon has nothing to do with the Irish army or the Irish Civilian populations.
    To call Jihad on the Irish population would cause serious civil out cry at home and internationally

Advertisement