Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder would the IRA/UVF/etc all join together to fight the common enemy, lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There have been plenty of terrorist attacks commited in Ireland by the British Crown Forces and their proxies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

mrsoundie wrote: »
    It does its job, but it has never been loved.

Yes it does.... No rifle except from Master Chiefs in Halo fits all purposes for all occasions. Every soldier complains about his kit. Be a soldier and man up. Use what you have under the circumstances. what would you rather? H&K varient of a 5.56 FN? We didnt have money on the day. SA 80's or or first rate M4 not going to happen either. Buying from Israel or South Africa might have been playing outside the EU? On the day with the given varibles ..... we got a good deal.

I think we bought from a reputable seller that will supply spares and repair part for years to come. Unlike South Africa (change of Govt change of policy) or Israel (every factory is under treat from rocket attack). Not arguing that either country dont make quality products .......its just you wouldnt want to depend on them.

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder would the IRA/UVF/etc all join together to fight the common enemy, lol?

Martin Cahill ... aka The General? or Islamic fundementalist tearing down Crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Israel (every factory is under treat from rocket attack).

No such country. The country is Palestine, and Palestine is Arab. They have every right to defend their country against invaders who stole their land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No such country. The country is Palestine, and Palestine is Arab. They have every right to defend their country against invaders who stole their land.

You know it's the likes of you was the reason I stopped being involved in the Palestinian Solidarity movement. I remember being on a march to the Israeli embassy during the bombing of Gaza back in 2010 and some clown (Irish) piped up 'kill the Jews'. I had a go at him but no one else in the crowd (among them several prominent people in the movement) said a word.

Israel needs to be challenged on its military conduct from time to time, but racists and those frankly not living on planet earth debase the movement completely.

EDIT: It was during the flotilla raid in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Yurt! wrote: »
    You know it's the likes of you was the reason I stopped being involved in the Palestinian Solidarity movement. I remember being on a march to the Israeli embassy during the bombing of Gaza back in 2010 and some clown (Irish) piped up 'kill the Jews'. I had a go at him but no one else in the crowd (among them several prominent people in the movement) said a word.

Israel needs to be challenged on its military conduct from time to time, but racists and those frankly not living on planet earth debase the movement completely.

EDIT: It was during the flotilla raid in 2010.

You will get the odd loonies at most demonstrations.

I have supportted Palestine from a purely humanitarian perspective for quite some time.

All in all most people have behaved with dignity,as have the Palestinians I have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

gladrags wrote: »
    You will get the odd loonies at most demonstrations.

I have supportted Palestine from a purely humanitarian perspective for quite some time.

All in all most people have behaved with dignity,as have the Palestinians I have met.

There is a toleration of extremism at the head of the movement (and I speak of the regulars and prominent people), it wouldn't be odd or out of place to hear someone banging on about global Zionist banking elites for instance. I attended several meetings back in the day and got weary of nutty views and blatantly anti-semitic tropes being bandied about unchallenged. There is actually a (fragile) peace movement in Israel but the Irish Solidarity movement is more interested in parroting whatever Hamas or Hezbollah have to say instead of building genuine alliances for peace. They're at nothing, and I suspect if Israel didn't exist you'd see the same people at the end of a megaphone shouting nonsense outside the GPO about something else. It's an important issue but they actually can't conceptualize how poorly they serve Palestinians by their actions.

the arguement is to the sustainable chain supply of parts not to whether which group of arabs has squatters right there.....

They have been arguing before leaving the desert about owns what out there and I dont care, as long as it does interfere with me.

Yurt! wrote: »
    They're at nothing, and I suspect if Israel didn't exist you'd see the same people at the end of a megaphone shouting nonsense outside the GPO about something else. It's an important issue but they actually can't conceptualize how poorly they serve Palestinians by their actions.

Sure there is always one :D !!!!

• Advertisement

If you want to make that arguement what about all the settled people who stole Ireland from the tinkers.... there is an arguement for you to win much closer to home. Then at the begining of time there were all the Africans that came here to populate Hibernia,Then the Red headed transients from Siberia. Dont forget the Viking and Roman..... are you going to ask but what have the Romans done for us? Do you want to tell them all to go home too?

Seriously man ..... time and place for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Along with Iceland and Portugal, Ireland is probably the least important country in western europe. Why attack Ireland when you can attack England/france/sweden/italy..literally any other big country in the EU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Along with Iceland and Portugal, Ireland is probably the least important country in western europe. Why attack Ireland when you can attack England/france/sweden/italy..literally any other big country in the EU

There's Islamic terrorists in every country so there's no reason why all can't be attacked including Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Attacking ireland would get globle attention, it would resonate with the US of A since alot of them claim to have irish heritage, it would be attacking a stop off for US soldiers, while getting rid of the stupid sense of security we have in ireland,

Then we d have the Miriam o callaghan and the likes wondering why security was so low and how they got thru and the answer will be....Ah sure were neutral why would they attack us sur wer grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

evo2000 wrote: »
    Attacking ireland would get globle attention, it would resonate with the US of A since alot of them claim to have irish heritage, it would be attacking a stop off for US soldiers, while getting rid of the stupid sense of security we have in ireland,

Then we d have the Miriam o callaghan and the likes wondering why security was so low and how they got thru and the answer will be....Ah sure were neutral why would they attack us sur wer grand!

Any attack outside the ME will get global attention - beyond that it wouldn't matter to the US.

We tend overstate our importance to the US.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Any attack outside the ME will get global attention - beyond that it wouldn't matter to the US.

Not sure One third of America claim Irish heritage, When a president need to be relected Sure doesnt he drop by for an auld visit and a pint and some hurling. I think it has cooled off since the 80's but still a great resonance there .... except West virginia and the whole KKK thing. God Bless em dont they work hard to keep those sheets white ...... its like a re run of Django unchained

An attack on any developed country will get global attention. Im not saying an attack on ireland wouldn't be big news, but I just don't believe a dozen dubliners being shot by a terrorist would resonate across the globe in the same way as the paris attacks, or for as long.

Jawgap wrote: »

Agreed. and to the person who said 1 in 3 americans are of irish descent, its not nearly that high. like 1/3 of americans aren't even white so I doubt half of the white people are of irish descent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not sure One third of America claim Irish heritage, When a president need to be relected Sure doesnt he drop by for an auld visit and a pint and some hurling. I think it has cooled off since the 80's but still a great resonance there .... except West virginia and the whole KKK thing. God Bless em dont they work hard to keep those sheets white ...... its like a re run of Django unchained

Not really. Obama visited to pay back a debt to Dan Rooney.

Congress is now in Republican hands and will be for at least two years. Just because 'Irish' has traction in the NE of the US and Chicago, but not much beyond that.

Agreed. and to the person who said 1 in 3 americans are of irish descent, its not nearly that high. like 1/3 of americans aren't even white so I doubt half of the white people are of irish descent

Dont forget Muhammed Ali was claiming Irish hertitage... apparently the slave owner used to like burning off excess energy with the slave population after dinner. A dirty part of our history... but still true. Loads of people are interracial over there. Dont even start on Brazil, I was told there are 7 shades of skin tone over there..... no rascism.... all one melting pot.

• Advertisement

Dont forget Muhammed Ali was claiming Irish hertitage... apparently the slave owner used to like burning off excess energy with the slave population after dinner. A dirty part of our history... but still true. Loads of people are interracial over there. Dont even start on Brazil, I was told there are 7 shades of skin tone over there..... no rascism.... all one melting pot.
    lol nope
    people with dark skin (ie. africans and natives) are treated like **** in brazil. The rich and middle class are almost entirely european, lower class almost entirely black or native. The more european looking you are the higher your social status, same goes for most of latin america

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

lol nope
    people with dark skin (ie. africans and natives) are treated like **** in brazil. The rich and middle class are almost entirely european, lower class almost entirely black or native. The more european looking you are the higher your social status, same goes for most of latin america

What has any of this got to do with the OP question?

lol nope

Ok if you took out the recent immigrants from Europe in the last 70 years ...there would be racism in South America. Anyone remember that photo of the Speical forces officer who initiated the Falklands surrender to the British he had blonde hair?

but then there would be no Sauerkraut, excellent beer (didnt Brazilian take over Budwieser?), South American Pharmaceuticals, and all the great things we love about a certain country in Europe.

Very uninformed, grady was ali s grandfather and wasnt a slave owner at all!

Very uninformed, grady was ali s grandfather and wasnt a slave owner at all!

please read again there was no direct claim that Muhammad Ali was fathered by a white slave owner but It is true for a massive part of the population. I suppose that was the way back then. Diseases must have been rampant .....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If you want to make that arguement what about all the settled people who stole Ireland from the tinkers.... there is an arguement for you to win much closer to home. Then at the begining of time there were all the Africans that came here to populate Hibernia,Then the Red headed transients from Siberia. Dont forget the Viking and Roman..... are you going to ask but what have the Romans done for us? Do you want to tell them all to go home too?

Seriously man ..... time and place for everything
    israel's slaughtering and stealing is modern day and continues because they can get away with it by crying anti-cemitism

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

israel's slaughtering and stealing is modern day and continues because they can get away with it by crying anti-cemitism

Its just the odd one that get upset about. I have two friends one is muslim and the other is jewish and they never get upset about which way the wind is blowing in Jeruselem. they do business have the same friends...... Life is too short to be worry about things we cant change.

please read again there was no direct claim that Muhammad Ali was fathered by a white slave owner but It is true for a massive part of the population. I suppose that was the way back then. Diseases must have been rampant .....

Dont forget Muhammed Ali was claiming Irish hertitage... apparently the slave owner used to like burning off excess energy with the slave population after dinner.

Seems pretty direct to me

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

A good number of interracial people over there could also be descended from all the Irish slave women that were forced to mate with African slaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Yes it does.... No rifle except from Master Chiefs in Halo fits all purposes for all occasions. Every soldier complains about his kit. Be a soldier and man up. Use what you have under the circumstances. what would you rather? H&K varient of a 5.56 FN? We didnt have money on the day. SA 80's or or first rate M4 not going to happen either. Buying from Israel or South Africa might have been playing outside the EU? On the day with the given varibles ..... we got a good deal.

I think we bought from a reputable seller that will supply spares and repair part for years to come. Unlike South Africa (change of Govt change of policy) or Israel (every factory is under treat from rocket attack). Not arguing that either country dont make quality products .......its just you wouldnt want to depend on them.

I disregarded you post from earlier, but after reading a few more of yours, I believe you are talking absolute bollixs, my friend!

Advertisement