Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    If you look at the weather warning MTE.IE mention showers becoming widespread tonight oover midlands and East.

I don't buy it. The updated regional forecast mention the word 'isolated' for Leinster and are even downplaying shower activity in North and North west.....

I think it is game on for the east on Sunday and Monday/Tuesday ok but not tonight or tomorrow.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The latest forecast on BBC still showed showers starting in the west by evening then widespread by night.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The latest forecast on BBC still showed showers starting in the west by evening then widespread by night.....

I have to say the weather forecast at 1.30 was really poor on RTE. No mention of widespread showers for tonight only said for coastal regions. But when you look at there website its there in black and white. BBC covered it very well with a small frontal system moving down from the NW and temperatures across snow fields in the north on Monday going as low as -11. Anyway properly nick picking I am Met Eireann do a good job but sometimes the presenters need to focus on the weather instead of talking about Operation transformation which will be held across in some regions or another. Rant over. Sunny here dark clouds gathering still lying snow on the ground mostly in fields and shaded areas on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Heavy snow atm. Snow remains on grass roofs etc from this morning but thawed on footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    I have to say the weather forecast at 1.30 was really poor on RTE. No mention of widespread showers for tonight only said for coastal regions. But when you look at there website its there in black and white. BBC covered it very well with a small frontal system moving down from the NW and temperatures across snow fields in the north on Monday going as low as -11. Anyway properly nick picking I am Met Eireann do a good job but sometimes the presenters need to focus on the weather instead of talking about Operation transformation which will be held across in some regions or another. Rant over. Sunny here dark clouds gathering still lying snow on the ground mostly in fields and shaded areas on the road.

Looking at the NMM hi-res I don't expect anything widespread later tbh , Western and northern coastal counties for some isolated showers yeah.

Nice to see some snow cover on the sat loop over Ireland... when was the last time we saw that aye? :cool:
    http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Looking at the NMM hi-res I don't expect anything widespread later tbh , Western and northern coastal counties for some isolated showers yeah.

Nice to see some snow cover on the sat loop over Ireland... when was the last time we saw that aye? :cool:

Its just in the wrong places :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Have to agree don't see much either. Have ME more info than we do though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Like a Summers day in Bray looking out our office window :mad:

Lots of snow on the mountains to the west though, think a walk up Djouce and over to the Sally Gap to get my fix is in order tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

187 active users at the moment - dropping by the hour. Big difference from yesterday!!

Back up to 193

Tonights snow possibilities looking good for the NW moving down to the midlands by morning. Some instability around the coast again so some thundersnow is not out of the question.

Again I can't see much making its way into the Dublin region , knowing my luck it will reach Ashbourne in Meath and then fizzle out. :rolleyes:

Latest Modis imagery..
    335307.jpg

angry-unhappy.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there was a frost like dusting of snow here this morning.

Unfortunately next week is looking far less exciting than it was for snow in the east, looking very, very marginal now. Starting to get very disappointed with this winter and the overall lack of snow once again in my area.

Hopefully the charts will upgrade for Monday onwards and deliver some much needed snow for the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭highdef

Latest Modis imagery..
    335307.jpg

angry-unhappy.jpg

LOL, good one!!!! Incidentally, where can you access those high res sat images? I had a look on the MODIS website but can't find images such as the one you have posted for today.....it looks like you cropped it but the original must be great resolution.

highdef wrote: »
    LOL, good one!!!! Incidentally, where can you access those high res sat images? I had a look on the MODIS website but can't find images such as the one you have posted for today.....it looks like you cropped it but the original must be great resolution.

I couldnt stop laughing when I saw it , it was actually like the snow was trolling me! lol

I was the same trying to find the Ireland images ..
    Thanks to Rooy over on the chat thread
    this might help ;
    Updated daily , usually around 1-2 PM , obviously at the mercy of cloud cover with a satellite image , but today is a good day to view.
    http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/i...016.terra.500m

that takes you directly to 500m image for Jan 16 , this link will take you more to a starting point of 'today' and allow navigation/different images.
    http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/i...ingdom_Ireland

UK met office just issued beware weather warning for snow for NI later today into Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Heavy snow here in Dungiven, Derry. A couple of centimetres already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

A few sleety snow showers on the coast here in South Donegal. Nothing settling at my place but I am near sea level. Disappointing to see the massive downgrade regarding snow next week. I am heading up to Dublin to visit the son and grandchildren and was looking forward to a bit of snow fun with them. Looks like they will all miss out now. I'm beginning to think that the best way to deal with the continuous disappointments with irish weather is to just not follow forecasts and see what each day brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Think so? The UKMO has what looks like an organised band of precipitation crossing the country tonight.

midnight:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/CoreProductCache/SurfacePressureChart/Item/ProductId/21643821
    (see hotwhiskey's post above)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Is that low cloud over the wicklow mountains too? Or is the white just pure snow Ian.
    If its just snow it looks like they are plastered!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

No more snow at all then it seems?

Think so? The UKMO has what looks like an organised band of precipitation crossing the country tonight.

midnight:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/CoreProductCache/SurfacePressureChart/Item/ProductId/21643821
    (see hotwhiskey's post above)

Yeah seems to be more ppn on 06z charts actually , heres that occluded front heading across tonight.. still don't expect to see much here in Dublin though lol
    335318.png

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Having to go for a spin later, would really appreciate any feedback on the state of roads conditions
    M7, M50, M1, ardee, carrickmacross, blaney, monaghan to Ballygawley roads?

Thanks a Million

JB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

New Snow ICE weather warning for ALL of Ireland! Do the experts here concur with this?

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for All of Ireland
    Wintry showers will continue throughout the warning period across Ulster, leading to accumulations of snow on hills and mountains.

Wintry showers will become widespread in Connacht and West Munster Friday evening, extending eastwards in to Leinster Friday night

Issued:Friday 16 January 2015 11:00
    Valid:Friday 16 January 2015 12:00 to Saturday 17 January 2015 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Heavy shower here for the last 20 minutes

002.jpg

JB81 wrote: »
    Having to go for a spin later, would really appreciate any feedback on the state of roads conditions

Thanks a Million

JB

Main routes are clear. Some secondary roads are bad with snow especially in shaded areas. But roads very wet and frost will set in shortly. Just noted Met Eireann have just tweeted this: Wintry showers in the west & north becoming more widespread overnight with falls of snow in places.Cold & frosty with lows of -2 to +1C

Upgrade from 1.30 weather forecast!

h8eD5TT7ykxDbH0Js6zgbtC2_FfxSReYZX-IbVjztg=w369-h207-p-no

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Utterly still up here in my mountain South Kerry fastness... A glorious day and the mountains.. I was to Killarney and then to Killorglin.. Usually I drive home then via Ballaghbeama but today doubled back. Still snow etched and dramatic. Bright sun but bitter cold and temp dropping for the night now. Let it do what it will now; abundant fuel etc.. Lovely day and to see the sun on snow wonderful.

lolie wrote: »
    Nice bit of snow fell here in southeast cavan this morning, wasn't expecting much after a shower falling as sleety rain few hours earlier. Better when it's a surprise.
    Should keep the nieces and nephews happy.
    335269.jpg
    335270.jpg
    335271.jpg

Lovely dogs! Thank you

JB81 wrote: »

Thanks a Million

JB

AA roadwatch is good and National Roads Authority for any major concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1 degree now at Knock and the dew point is -1 so a nice shot of snow up there, if the showers play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Really clear sunny day all day after a wet snow shower at 8.30 this morning in sandyford. Though it was 7.4c earlier it felt bitterly cold and temp has dropped to 3.1 in the last hour - very fast drop. At least if we have nice crisp / frosty days it's better than nothing (trying to boost the morale here)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

fiend wrote: »
    Really clear sunny day all day after a wet snow shower at 8.30 this morning in sandyford. Though it was 7.4c earlier it felt bitterly cold and temp has dropped to 3.1 in the last hour - very fast drop. At least if we have nice crisp / frosty days it's better than nothing (trying to boost the morale here)!!

The highest the temperature got today in Dublin 15 was 3.5 degrees so your thermometer must be defective as Sandyford is enen higher up than Castle knock and colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It'll update soon but the 6z Euro 04 was interesting...

15011706_1606.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement