Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

On this day 5 years and week ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Met office snow warning out for NI for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was pleasantly surprised to get caught in a tiny flurry of graupel in D16 this morning as I cross the M50 around 8:30 this morning.

Means it's probably still well capable of snowing in the east.

I have a fine collection of grasped straws here on my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just looking at the latest charts and Monday seems to be the day to watch. An Atlantic front hitting a cold pool? Might have to bring the sheep in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Anyone throw a guess as to what the wind chill on the East Coast is? Coldest cold I've ever felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anyone throw a guess as to what the wind chill on the East Coast is? Coldest cold I've ever felt.

Dewpoints are barely above freezing. Couple this with the wind, the apparent temperature is between -4c and -5c. Wind chill is around -2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Tonights snow possibilities looking good for the NW moving down to the midlands by morning. Some instability around the coast again so some thundersnow is not out of the question.
    335125.png

Freezing level at a nice 300m for the midlands should give a nice fluffy snow for there.
    335126.png

Again I can't see much making its way into the Dublin region , knowing my luck it will reach Ashbourne in Meath and then fizzle out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

arctictree wrote: »
    Just looking at the latest charts and Monday seems to be the day to watch. An Atlantic front hitting a cold pool? Might have to bring the sheep in....

Which i why I hope and plan to shop tomorrow...made great inroads on stocks this week....

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Graces7 wrote: »
    Which i why I hope and plan to shop tomorrow...made great inroads on stocks this week....

You must be highly organised. I've got too used to having a shop 'round the corner. Although in 2010 they did run very low on stock because deliveries couldn't get through. Keep warm and safe down there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

UK met have issued a 'cold weather action alert' status Orange for the north and midlands of England , valid from this evening until Monday

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions between 1800 on Thursday and 1200 on Monday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

After less cold conditions overnight Wednesday and for a time on Thursday, increasingly cold air will spread from the northwest across England on Thursday night and during Friday, with showers turning more wintry from the north. Average temperatures are expected to continue falling through the weekend, with a northerly airstream likely to be established by Sunday. Frost and ice are expected to become increasingly widespread through the period, with some severe overnight frosts likely in the north over any snow cover by Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

well if it's any gage my bollocks are still in my arm pits from this morning so I can say its bloody cold

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd say it will be Saturday night at least before we know with any certainty the risk of snow on Monday. ATM it seems better than 50/50 for most of the country but at the same time it's marginal as well. Lots to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I'd say it will be Saturday night at least before we know with any certainty the risk of snow on Monday. ATM it seems better than 50/50 for most of the country but at the same time it's marginal as well. Lots to watch.

As long as we have hope, we're happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

sky is gone very dark so quickly in drogheda. lets see wat happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

How about snow showers later for west munster? Or has that risk diminished?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Any hope for Kilkenny getting a sprinkle? Specifically the Callan side!

How about snow showers later for west munster? Or has that risk diminished?

That is more tomorrow night rather than today in my opinion because that is when the wind direction becomes more favorable and the air that bit colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

sky is gone very dark so quickly in drogheda. lets see wat happens :)

Rain, we have it, sending it your way now

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Wet snow shower here now in kerry..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

what temp conditions do we need for snow?

• Advertisement

You dont have to guess, the NOAA does a handy online reckoner.

Its 5C here in Dublin at the moment, 80 km/h gusts will give you a windchill of -3C, or 0C in the mean winds of 50-60 km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Raining in drogheda now but the wind is making it bitterly cold. And i daresay i saw the odd sleety tease fall in front of me also! Sleety. Behave yourselves!

Rain/sleet north county Dublin.

the temperatures at the min.
    temp_uk.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain/sleet north county Dublin.

Getting the same here, rain with some sleet (in south county Dublin). 3.3c DP 0.8c atm.

dew points are quite low.
    pointrosee_uk.png

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Getting the same here, rain with some sleet (in south county Dublin). 3.3c DP 0.8c atm.

Temp has fallen to 3c here, DP the same. Another 1.5 c and this would be falling as snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain getting a little sleetier here. Temp dropping but DP rising. 2.7c DP 1.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just cold rain here, not walk in the park weather!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

The temps in the NW behind that front are getting quite a bit milder. Chances of wintry precip decreasing throughout the day Id suggest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement