Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Just sleet showers in Galway so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Just had a brief but heavy snow shower here in south tipperary - huge flakes and gave a good covering in only a few minutes - but stopped as suddenly as it started. An hour of that intensity and I'd be digging myself out - shame it only lasted 5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hope gfs wrong.

Looks more wintry showery than snow

At least sligo got some decent snow tuesday and wednesday.

Next sligo snow of heavy nature 2025 and not the time

Nah too negative... tomorrow evening it will snow in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 11 silverthorn100

tails_naf wrote: »
    Just had a brief but heavy snow shower here in south tipperary - huge flakes and gave a good covering in only a few minutes - but stopped as suddenly as it started. An hour of that intensity and I'd be digging myself out - shame it only lasted 5 mins!

Where in sout tipp was the heavy snow shower

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Where in sout tipp was the heavy snow shower

South of the Galtees, on the cork side of Cahir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I'm hoping that shower heads down this way and dumps some snow on us in Cavan;)
    Just know its going to vanish while I watch the radars!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the showers are just not making it to the east, if anything they are starting to retreat back and dying out closer to the west coast over the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Yep - retreating and eating themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Eh lads, take a look at whats coming on the infrared sat24 loop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Eh lads, take a look at whats coming on the infrared sat24 loop

I must be blind. Can't see anything lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

me either.... maybe staring at the lamp post for too long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

About 5 inches up Binevenagh Mountain, Co Derry today :)

15677090183_e4f0ec6ec3_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Gates of Kippure tonight...not much, but at least something! Warning, approach road is extremely icy! Almost no grip in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Nothing in drogheda yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Difference between ECM and GFS for Monday?

ECM

Recm722.gif

Rtavn722.gif

One offers a snow event, the other does not. Fine margins but ECM keeps 850 temps sub -4 throughout whereas GFS raises them further. Interesting and still can't be sure about Monday - Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A complete bitter cold washout up here in my South Kerry mountain. Not light yet so maybe the mountain are white but after the deluges all the night long I dont think so. Keeping warm is the task on hand today. A blue hoodie day! About 20 years ago I bought a blue fleece hoodie from Damart and I only wear it when things are desperate... Grabbed it first thing today. Did not light fire yesterday as was too drained when I got in so can light it earlier today..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Clear starry night and cloudless dawn here. Not a whisp of cloud, never mind a shower!

Constant breeze kept temperature nailed at around +1c all night long. Snowline little changed since yesterday, about 700 feet.

A bit of a black frost in spots.

ah now there is a sight! Great Christmas puddings all around the edge of the sky.. well, except south...Nothing at low level but oh MY! When the light get better will try for photos. Dark plummy grey skies atop pure dazzling white....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

3 cms of snow here in the hills above Ballyremote, south Sligo.......several showers since 7 o'clock and sky very grey.
    Would send a picture, but don't seem to be able unless I go on the laptop....is there no quick-link for the i-phone??

• Advertisement

little ma wrote: »
    3 cms of snow here in the hills above Ballyremote, south Sligo.......several showers since 7 o'clock and sky very grey.
    Would send a picture, but don't seem to be able unless I go on the laptop....is there no quick-link for the i-phone??

A nd e trolley? That must be a first! Ah did you fall in the snow..!:( Actually you are at least in a warm place!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Almost back to where we were before the thaw the other day,Lots of showers overnight have 4 inches and its still coming down like cotton wool balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Almost back to where we were before the thaw the other day,Lots of showers overnight have 4 inches and its still coming down like cotton wool balls!

Show us please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i should have booked a flight home for the weekend. at home they're telling me 2 inches fell overnight:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

little ma wrote: »
    Any idea what the roads into Ballyremote are like? As in are they drivable?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

no snow overnight in carlow, just a bit frosty this morning. there was a light dusting of snow in kilcullen when i past through this morning on the way to work, then just frosty again in newbridge. lovely morning here in newbridge with clear blue skies. working outside so kinda glad it didnt snow here:eek: ... i know i shouldnt say that round these parts:P if it wants to snow all night tonight im all for it cause i've no work tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

i should have booked a flight home for the weekend. at home they're telling me 2 inches fell overnight:(

Likewise, the father just text me saying there's heavy snow in Letterkenny this morning for the fourth time this week, combined with daily thunderstorms, big hail downpours and storm force winds over the past few days I really wish I took a few days of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just a dusting in my part of town. Frozen to the cars, slush on the quieter roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just a dusting in my part of town. Frozen to the cars, slush on the quieter roads.

its seems to be very localised, some places esp in the north west have had a good dumping and then a couple of miles down the road nothing or very little.....its just the nature of the beast i suppose when its like this with the showers been blown in off the north west. the charts for the second half of next week dont make good eye candy either, but so much can change in the space of a day or two around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Nice morning for a walk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement